The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to buy pony blankets

Need the best inexpensive place to buy turnouts - one of each weight. Have to be fairly durable but pony goes out by herself so they won't be subjected to other horses nipping, etc.
    Also, will measure pony tomorrow to know for sure, but what size range am I looking at for a 13.2 h medium, fairly short coupled pony? I roughly estimated 56" or so, does that sound close?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    Need the best inexpensive place to buy turnouts - one of each weight. Have to be fairly durable but pony goes out by herself so they won't be subjected to other horses nipping, etc.
    Also, will measure pony tomorrow to know for sure, but what size range am I looking at for a 13.2 h medium, fairly short coupled pony? I roughly estimated 56" or so, does that sound close?
    Not much chance a 56 would fit a 13.2hh pony. Our 12hh pony with a very fined-boned petite build wore a 57. Average-built 12.2hh pony wears a 60, and average built 13.3hh pony wears a 66.

Just For Ponies is a wonderful website for pony items, and the owner couldn't be any nicer or more helpful. Classic Saddlery carries most blankets in pony sizes, have great prices and free shipping. Adams Horse Supplies carries most blankets in 66 and up, free shipping and great service.

My refiined 14.2 arab wears a 64.

Just for Ponies is excellent. Schneiders has smaller sizes and is inexpensive; they get mixed reviews for durability. I have a Smartpak Wug for our small pony that I quite like.

A medium pony isn't too hard to fit; small ponies can be trickier because there isn't much room for even one size of error. You need to measure, though; don't rely on an estimate.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

SCHNEIDERS for sure. Both of my boys wear them along with other ponies. My Traveller who is 13.2 wears a size 64 with the belly band. "Hootie" wears a size 56 (he is 11.2) with the wonderful belly band. Ck them out. I have used all kinds and these are the best. We are in Florida so they do not have the MOST heavy weight one, but works great for us.

Oh, as far as being durable, i say they are great. My boys are out alone, but can absolutely try a blanket. year after year they hold up.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I've always had great luck with Just For Ponies. My old pony was almost impossible to find equipment for, especially bits and blankets. They have a fantastic selection

Just for Ponies is really helpful with figuring out sizes if you have any questions. I have bought a few blankets (and other pony tack) from them.

Beval has a 25% off sale right now... and no a 57 is not going to fit. My 13.2 hand medium wears a 66, all of our smaller mediums are 63, and our decent sized smalls are 60. The only pony we have in the barn who wears a 57 is a 11.3 pony.

Thanks everyone! I thought that sounded really small...but I was using quite a rudimentary measuring system. I think I will go with Schneiders...thanks everyone!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Thanks for this thread!! I was just going to post the same thread myself, as I just adopted a 12.1 pony! She came with some "clothes," but I just HAVE to buy her all new stuff from Just For Ponies!!!
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," to be released in the summer of '14

I like Schneiders, too - but I lucked out and found a 69" (which should be just about right for my new girl) Everest on 50% off at my local tack shop.

My girl is a little bit taller than yours, Max (a whisker shy of 14 hands), and she measured at 66-67" when I first got her and she needed a few pounds. Hoping that those extra inches around the girth haven't pushed her beyond the 69! She's got my old guy's TO sheet (its a 70"), but if the Everest doesn't work out, I'll probably get new gear from Schneiders. (This liner: http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...anket-liner_2/ ) is great - lofty, machine washable, and the slots/dees arrangement makes it very nice for adding a warm, secure and inexpensive layering piece. Between the old man's TO sheet, the new light-fill blanket and that liner, I don't think the new girl will NEED any new clothes this winter! (Which, budget allowing, doesn't mean she won't get new clothes, of course - I'd much rather shop for her than for myself!)

Another vote for Schneiders, I buy most of my stuff there and I am always happy with what I get.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by fine*and*dandy View Post
    Not much chance a 56 would fit a 13.2hh pony. Our 12hh pony with a very fined-boned petite build wore a 57. Average-built 12.2hh pony wears a 60, and average built 13.3hh pony wears a 66.
    Agree - my 12h Hackney is very base-narrow, but took a 57 blanket (Smartpak Thinsulate T/O) and it fits like a glove.
    Measure your pony, then make sure you can exchange a blanket that does not fit well
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Just For Ponies. They are experts in all matters of petite equines.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OMG, I just saw the Weatherbeeta "snowflake" winter blanket on Just for Ponies. I must get that for my new little angel!!
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," to be released in the summer of '14

I got that Snowflake blanket from Smartpak on sale and it is lovely for my 11 hand grey pony.