The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Evaluate This Rider

I give her the George Morris Seal of Approval.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Wow! Brave kid and great pony! (and adorable picture, too!)

sorry, but I don't find it great at all - I find it irresponsible to put a small child like that on a big horse like that.

Pretty sure the camera angle makes the horse look much bigger than it is. I bet it's a slender haffie. Those ponies are short!

Exactly. You need to read the comments by her mom.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

sorry, but still think it is irresponsible to have a 6 yr old doing this - people push their young children way to much. A 6 yr old does not have the strength or skill to handle it if something goes wrong. Good pony yes, but still makes me cringe.

Kid's wearing all the proper PPE, and dammit if she doesn't hold her whip in a better position than I do.

No, she won't be able to handle it if things go wrong. But then again, neither could I when I started out, neither can any beginner. I just fell off, and I didn't even have a fancy chest protector.

I agree with bravestorm, good pony, lucky kid. Probably having a blast but what kind of bit is that? The name eludes me right now-but I think she's doing her good pony a disservice by hanging on the bit instead of grabbing for mane for support , and im pretty sure gm would agree

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Kid's wearing all the proper PPE, and dammit if she doesn't hold her whip in a better position than I do.

No, she won't be able to handle it if things go wrong. But then again, neither could I when I started out, neither can any beginner. I just fell off, and I didn't even have a fancy chest protector.
    I agree Coanteen.I didn't have the protective gear back in the day and I bounced well at that age! Good for her if that is what she wants to do..

I remember falling off when I was six and seven, getting back on, and I still have my helmet. You can actually BEND IT with your hands! .

I took a header off my horse with a CO helmet and vest, hurt like you know what, I still got back on that day, buuuuut...horse is at the trainer's for 60 days and I have a scar on my chin!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Mixed feelings. Fantastic photo, gorgeous horse and that little rider looks great. The horse is big for her, but I am thinking that she is just as safe on that horse, which undoubtedly is a packer, compared to some snotty little pony.

Would I let my daughter do it, probably not. Having said that, when I see the small kids around here (TX) running barrels on much bigger horses, with no helmets, no crash jacket etc, I am thinking that this kid, although jumping, is much safer.

Gernerally I believe parents over there let their children have so much more fun and are bolder with their mounts. My good friend is British and she expects (actually wants) her daughter riding their naughty pony to take falls while my American friends cry along with their kids when they fall.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    I agree with bravestorm, good pony, lucky kid. Probably having a blast but what kind of bit is that? The name eludes me right now-but I think she's doing her good pony a disservice by hanging on the bit instead of grabbing for mane for support , and im pretty sure gm would agree
    I agree with you on the bit. She needs to grab mane or the neck strap and get off his face. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with this pic. She's properly outfitted, the fence is small, and the pony looks like a saint.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I'm sorry, there's a human in that picture?
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I don't have issues with kids falling off ponies - in fact my son fell off his first pony 20 times in one lesson - pony was a bit of a stinker and before or after every fence it would duck out - made him a much better rider - he was 12 - well aware of what he was doing and it was a small pony in a controlled arena environment - yes he could have gotten hurt - and I don't want to protect them from everything.

It is totally about risk management - and I seem to remember a thread where everyone was going nuts because a kid died falling off a horse that was too big for them - I think it was western though.

Risk management? I can see that if this was a picture from that thread on the dressage forum with the kids riding double, bareback, helmetless, on a "rearing" horse.

This? OH PLEASE! She is obviously well in control, does not look scared, and is outfitted in every piece of equestrian safety equipment there is! And it's a Haffy, not some giant warmblood. Haffies are pretty little in comparison to most lesson horses.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    sorry, but I don't find it great at all - I find it irresponsible to put a small child like that on a big horse like that.
    In the comments on the photo the mom says the pony is 14h, so not very big at all. She also says that up to this point she has ridden smaller ponies.

Small pony, low jump, all the proper protective equipment. What's the problem with that? Only thing I can find wrong is the kid hanging on the pony's mouth.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

That's an elevator bit, for those who were wondering.

A hell of a brave kid, that's for sure.

I don't really see a 6 yr old having had the experience nor the body control - and her eyes look closed to me - just don't think a kid that young should be out there. There is a reason many riding stables don't give lessons to kids unless they are over 6.

i am glad that some of you were not my mum when i was little i started riding at 6 and by 8 was jumping everything in the world (bareback , barefoot and in shorts to boot!)

we are getting so overly cautious... i feel sorry for modern kids.....