The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What are you saying amen for?

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    When I go to remove the bridle, the horse will still be holding and sucking on the bit. I can have the entire bridle off and the horse is still holding the bit. I have to ask for them to let go.
    wait so this is a good thing? My mare is like a hoover with her bit and takes a good 15-20 seconds to stop sucking on it after the rest of the bridle is off.

She's not real foamy, though -- barely at all.

This is what I like to see after I ride: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39525779_n.jpg

Miss BBHM after our ride on Sunday.

I made up a word for what I call it .... I call it "waffling" the bit .

They begin to play with it, and they should. It is meant to be an aid, not a weapon (Austrian translation of situation).

If the foam is only on the lips the tongue is thrusting...it should drip toward the chin (showing that the horse is consistently ifv as the directives require).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

ideayoda .... would you explain what you mean by, "the tongue is thrusting"?

That sounds as if they are trying to push the bit out, and that is not what I am referring to.

I have found that they are quite willing to hold the bit and "listen" to the rider's hands, and in doing that they begin to suck on the bit in a very soft manner. They know it is connected through the hands to their engine.

Default This..

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    This is what I like to see after I ride: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39525779_n.jpg

is what I had yesterday, but it was a lovely shamrock green.
    He was not the best but he was RELAXED!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I would rather have mashed potatoes between the hindlegs.
    It should be back to front.

Isn't this rear wheel drive?
    Rather than front end pulling downward(to china).

This is what I like to see as well. Would you mind if I used this photo for an article on this subject?

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    I would rather have mashed potatoes between the hindlegs.
    It should be back to front.

Isn't this rear wheel drive?
    Rather than front end pulling downward(to china).
    out of curiosity - what does foam on the mouth have to do with a horse being on its forehand?

Yeah I was wondering about that too. She'll probably say it was a joke or something..

I like "whipped cream" between the buttcheeks .... "mashed potatoes" is just too gross, plus it has a dry, lumpy sort of connotation sometimes.

My older horse produces very little mouth foam. My young one produces a lot, and it's not unusual for foam to splash on her chest or legs. But I think my trainers and I are experienced enough to know when a horse is relaxed and moving well without using foam as a litmus test The foam between the hind legs is a different thing since that's produced by sweat, not saliva. I see lots of it on hot days, but on a cool day I may not get any It has no correlation to the mouth foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    The foam between the hind legs is a different thing since that's produced by sweat, not saliva. I see lots of it on hot days, but on a cool day I may not get any It has no correlation to the mouth foam.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    This is what I like to see as well. Would you mind if I used this photo for an article on this subject?

Facebook page
    Lesley, not at all! We're friends on FB so I can't wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    is what I had yesterday, but it was a lovely shamrock green.
    He was not the best but he was RELAXED!
    There's some green in there, too!

Lesley, not at all! We're friends on FB so I can't wait to see it.

Your facebook message seems to have weirdly disappeared. Can you contact me again so I have your name to credit you?

Facebook page

Some horse get foamy mouths when NOT wearing a bridle - we were lunging one in a halter the other day (for a lameness workup - he is normally lunged in a bridle), and he was a bit over hiself and prancing around, with a VERY foamy mouth! And I have seen horses being Parelli-ised with foamy mouths while being ridden in a halter...

But I agree, drool is NOT good - it is a sign of tension (or anticipated tension, or in anticipatyion of being tongue-tied for racing). A foamy lipstick is usually a sign of a nice, true contact - in my experience, anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Just in case anyone wonders .....

When I go to remove the bridle, the horse will still be holding and sucking on the bit. I can have the entire bridle off and the horse is still holding the bit. I have to ask for them to let go.

They are holding the bit themselves. They are in control of the bit because (hopefully) you have taught them to work from your seat and leg and they only need to hold the bit because they trust you (and you aids) and they want to work.
    My gelding does this too.

I agree that it depends on the horse.

My appaloosa has never ever gotten foamy in the nearly six years I've owned him. A little bit of saliva, yes. But foam, no.

A haflinger X pony I had in training with me last fall would only foam if we had a GREAT ride.

It really depends on the horse sometimes, I'd think,
    Art De TriumphCaballineRebel
    I don't fall... I dismount... with style.

I have found that when my horse is truly relaxed, forward, and using his back, I get nice white lipstick with no drooling. I also get more butt foam. It's like when he is really moving well, his hind end unlocks and his legs swing more, producing more sweat. He does not get butt foam - even in the summer - unless he's working properly.

If he's tense, not swinging his legs forward, and not working over his back, I will have a dry mouth and dry butt.

He has a tendency to go behind the bit, so I avoid riding him deep and low. Someone else who has ridden him several times warms up in a deeper, lower frame, behind the vertical - he gets VERY foamy and drooly this way.