The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fetlock sores

My gelding and I recently moved to a new barn and new area, and he is developing nasty, nasty fetlock sores - I think he is so delighted with having a run off his stall that he is sleeping on the hard, extremely dry ground out there instead of his rubber matted, bedded stall. Of course.

Anyone have any tricks for helping to clear them up and prevent their return, apart from applying standing wraps nightly or locking him in his stall at night?
    OTTB owner.

Bed Sore Boots

There are a few different brands out there at different price points. Most retailers sell them.

That, or pull on bell boots flipped upside down will work depending on the location of the sore.

Well, he currently wears bell boots to prevent ripping his shoes off, and I am reluctant to buy Special Boots for a horse that is trying his hardest to kill himself in new and inventive ways. I suppose we could add a second pair of bell boots and flip those up? Then he'll look super classy - 2 sets up front and a set behind!
    OTTB owner.

I had best luck with cheap rubber bell boots put on upside down, so the bell faces up towards the body. When I lived in CO, where the ground is so dry and hard that everybody's horse got those sores on the front of the fetlock, that was hands down the easiest fix.

Regardless of which method you use to heal and protect, I strongly urge you to get on this promptly. I tried a variety of things that didn't work at first, not fully understanding the importance of protection. Now my mare has scars which are very susceptible to re-opening.

It's a PITA.

Thanks guys - horse is currently on stall rest and being wrapped behind since he lacerated his leg on Friday and needed some sutures (yes, I would love to spend another couple hundred bucks on another emergency call!), so we are doing standing wraps up front as well to give his fetlocks a few nights of intensive protection. Then we'll switch to the bell boot method.
    OTTB owner.

keep him in his stall at night; sounds like there's some mud in his run
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Any chance is NOT lying down to sleep. I had a mare that had bad fetlock sores and numerous gashes because she was too nervous to lie down. She would try to sleep standing up and start to fall and catch herself. Your guy just moved to a new barn so was wondering if that was the case. I have had horses on 24/7 dry hard ground in the past and they never sored while laying down is why I ask.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    Any chance is NOT lying down to sleep. I had a mare that had bad fetlock sores and numerous gashes because she was too nervous to lie down. She would try to sleep standing up and start to fall and catch herself. Your guy just moved to a new barn so was wondering if that was the case. I have had horses on 24/7 dry hard ground in the past and they never sored while laying down is why I ask.
    Same thing with my mare. Tried all kind of solutions and that

https://www.equipro.com/Bedsore_Boots_8FUL.html

was the best way to go. Cheap too and fast delivery

Why do you not want to lock him up so he gets a proper lie down in comfort? .....and it could also be from sleep deprivation in the new barn. Even with the boots, he will still be lying on hard ground.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique