The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone help a few kids?

I don't know if this is the right way to go about this or not. I run a small lesson program. I have a few kids in my lesson program whose parents don't have a ton of money. Most of the kids I teach have learning disabilities or self esteem issues. We all know horses are great listeners and wonderful healers. I completely encourage their love of horses and allow them to work in the barn for lessons. I have 2 girls in particular that I can't keep out of the barn. The weather can be horrible and they will constantly groom, do stalls, clean water buckets or just sweep so they can be in around the horses. Their parents are both single parents with no help financially from the other parent. These kids love riding. The one girl is a teenager and she fell head over heels in love with a thoroughbred gelding that we rescued...needless to say I have a oft heart and that gelding is still here and let's just say he's not looking for a home anytime soon. These kids all had problems before they found horses and I don't want them to lose this. I'm hoping if anyone has anything they don't want riding apparel or tack wise you can help them. I've collected some stuff from my old equipment and from others whom were going to toss stuff. We were able to obtain high boots for the teenager but the other little girl needs everything. I've done a lot for these kids and want to see them continue. Please PM me if you can help....I'd love to hand them anything they are very deserving.

Default riding clothes

google the riders closet. Just write them a letter and they will mail you anything in riding clothes you need other than a helmet. we use them for the kids here that show iea and intercollegiate but cannot afford clothes. it is all free. It all evens out in the end as we pass the stuff around each year and donate back anything we have that we dont need from our own show careers

1 members found this post helpful.

If you could post specific items and sizes, it might help people figure out if they have anything that could work.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Default Stuff For Kids

Breeches...I know their pants size 12/14 girls and 1/2 womens
    Boots sz 6 and sz 7 1/2 both womens
    Currently using school helmets but would be nice if they had their own 7 1/2 and 7
    Black gloves would help them
    Eventing Vests

as far as equipment:

Anything they could call their own.

The one child rides a funky sized TB that she just adores....I bought the blanket she wanted for him and I got her a saddle as my friend sold it to me dirt cheap...She'd love her own bridle, saddle pads, girth..

The other little girl rides a pony. She would love her own English bridle for her...I got her a saddle as well and girth. She also has saddle pads. I only had a western headstall that fit the pony. it works but she's wanting to take her to a show.

Anything to make these kids smile.

I have a pair of never worn tall boots that are either a size 6 or size 6 1/2. Nothing fancy - got them on Tack of the Day. Would be happy to send them along.

Black or brown bridle?

Will look around to see what else I have.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I have an old/not great quality cob sized black dressage bridle with reins and some cute a/p saddle pads that kids might like. PM if interested.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have a no name beginner saddle maybe I could send that, where are you located>
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I think I have a 7 1/2 helmet sitting around. Maybe been worn once or twice, didnt fit me. I'll check when I get to the barn and pm you.

What size gloves? Do they need shirts/vests to ride in, how about for the weather related is it getting cold or wet whereever you are? What do you mean by "funky" sized TB. Be specific, no one is going to think you are greedy, believe me.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Default More Info on Kids

Hello again! Both girls wear small or medium gloves. One wears a 7 helmet one a 7 1/2. We would love them to have protective vests on as the one girl does like to go out x country with a friend of ours. She would wear a small/medium. We are located in New Tripoli, PA. It is cold and wet here right now LOL. The TB is funky sized in the sense that he's a small horse but not cob. He's got a funky build with his withers too...but she loves the big lug. He means enough to her that he spent a few days in the hospital due to a gnarly injury because I couldn't bear to upset her. He's healed now and she spent every hour she could hand walking/grooming him and just letting him know he's loved and she brought him back afterwards. Please feel free to PM me I have never done this so I'm not sure what all to put in this thread.

Put info about what the girls' do in terms of riding so folks will know what they might need most, also, please do not be shy and say whether they have barn clothes including raincoats to work out with you, workboots too. As well, include some sizes for their 4 legged friends, I am sure they would like to see them get something special. Do you need blankets especially for the shark withered? or mutton withered? horse for the winter, I know you spent extra on him when you really were not intending to keep him and did for the sake of the one girl. Explain a little bit more what their situation is like and what this all means to them. That would help.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Both girls ride Hunters......They both could use muck boots and rain coats as they wear sneakers. The younger girl wears a 6 1/2 ladies and a large childs or small womans coat/sweatshirt...The older girl wears a womens 7 1/2 and a Medium womans if not a small. Their situations are similar in the sense that both are in single parent homes and have very little in extra funds. They would love if their horse/pony would get some fun stuff. The shark withered gelding wears a 75" blanket.....She has been borrowing another boarders pad to ride him with because of his wither its called a mattis pad.....I got him a wither pad but it wasn't thick enough. We have been working on her earning money doing other things to get him a full set of woof boots as well. He wears a medium. The pony is a top of the line medium at 13.2. She wears a 66" blanket. She's a chunky little thing that seems to be every childs favorite but specifically this child really took an interest in her. She draws her all the time and talks about her non stop...She truly is this childs world. Both children love to groom their chosen horses for hours. Anything anyone would give to them would be greatly appreciated. Both girls are desperate to show and we have a boarder who will pay their showing fees. One child has severe social issues and has really come out of her shell with the horses and is slowly making friends with all the other kids in the barn. We just want them both to fit in.

Hi. I was just wondering if you had received a size 7 helmet yet. If not, let me know-I have one I could ship out to you as well as size small black leather half chaps and 3 strap double lock Woof boots. I'm not sure if the Woof would fit your horse or not but I'd be happy to include them. I also have a small black Tipperary vest with a broken zipper. If you know of someone who could repair the zipper, it still has lots of years left.

Please PM me with your address and any or all items you would be interested in.

Default Many Thanks!

The response to this has been wonderful!

Yesterday we received 3 pair of schooling breeches! The one little girl was here and went nuts when I handed them to her!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

She had an ear to ear smile on her!

Hi. I do believe i was at your barn on Thursday.

Cothers..this lady is running a wonderful barn for these girl!

I have some muck boots and will be by next week. I will bring them. I will also looks for other things that you listed.

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much in advance!!!

These kids deserve the best we can give them =)

Could you still use 7.5 sized tall boots? They are lightly used black "field" boots...
    Also have an old beta vest that I used at the track. Not sure if it conforms to current regulations.

Just wanted to let you know that two boxes went out today. They included a small Tipperary vest (with the broken zipper), a size 7 CO helmet, pair of small black half chaps, pair of 3 strap Woof boots, pair of open front jump boots and 2 blue saddle pads. One saddle pad has the letter "k" embroidered on it-hopefully one of the girls or horses has a K in their name!

MKEvent everything received today! The one little girl saw the packages arrive and took off running down the driveway....Helmet and half chaps were worn tonight while she rode! She was so excited it was awesome to see her that excited...She said she feels like a professional rider now LOL. Thank you so much.

Your post made my night!!

I'm so glad they fit!! Isn't it great when something so simple brings so much joy!

If you get a chance sometime, please send pictures!