The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Used Crosby Saddles

This is a continuation of a post about finding saddles on a budget. I have now decided to potentially go with a newer (used) Crosby after lots of research and discussion with my trainer. I am looking at the following: Crosby Excel (XL), Equilibrium, or Centennial. Any other Crosby's I should consider looking at? Of this group, is one preferred over the other? I have sold my old saddle, so my budget is around $700. I am 5'8 with a long leg.

They aren't very common but I absolutely love my Crosby California Prix Des Nations. I'm 5'9'' with long legs and it fits me wonderfully. It's a great saddle. I've had mine 10+ years and it's still in great condition. If I could get one with a wide tree that fit my mare I would still be riding in one!

The Sofride is a nice model. There are lots of them out there. Also, they are hard to find, but the Congress is (IMO) a very nice saddle.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by elizabuggy View Post
    This is a continuation of a post about finding saddles on a budget. I have now decided to potentially go with a newer (used) Crosby after lots of research and discussion with my trainer. I am looking at the following: Crosby Excel (XL), Equilibrium, or Centennial. Any other Crosby's I should consider looking at? Of this group, is one preferred over the other? I have sold my old saddle, so my budget is around $700. I am 5'8 with a long leg.
    Really different saddles, primarily for the horse.

Excel-- made by Walsall Riding Saddle Co. who has always also made Crosbys. You'll find calf and bridle leather on this saddle. IMO, the flaps tend to be quite long. I think the trees are "a traditional Crosby Medium"-- a bit narrow by modern standards. The panels are slightly more generous by those same standards.

Equilibrium-- probably my pick in terms of the fit for horse and balance for rider. The leather on these will be durable, but not quite as nice. Printed hide and some stuff with an opaque finish called "schrumpf" leather on the seat. The tree and panels are nice. The Equilibrium was Crosby's second generation saddle modeled after the one that they designed and built with Tad Coffin long ago. I think the tree is horse-friendly, as are panels that widen behind. I like the balance for riders, too. A pretty "open" seat-- a long center to it with enough pommel and cantle to help. I like the flap and slight knee rolls that came on some of them.

The Centennial-- built to be Crosby's answer to the Butet. It came in M and W trees but several flap lengths. This is a pretty but very minimalist saddle. Either you like the balance and don't need much help from the seat/knee rolls, or you'll wish you had more. The fit for horses is tougher. A few were made with wool, but most are foam flocked (as are the other two saddles). The problem here is that the panels are thing for a very close contact feel. If this saddle fit your horse-- or, really, if the tree doesn't-- you'll think you can pad it here and there to make it work. You can't. But many folks did with these saddles and enjoyed them for a long time. There was a slightly upgraded version-- German-tanned leather and perhaps wool-- known as the Internationale version of the Centennial.

IMO, your $800 would be a fair for a Centennial or EL in nice condition and perhaps a tad too much for the Equilibrium unless it was beautiful. As I say, however, I'd choose the Equilbrium for it's function.

Hope this helps.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I liked my flat, knee roll-less Crosby Tad Coffin Equilibrium when I had it. You really have to ride when the trainer takes your stirrups away! The foam panels were beginning to wear out though, so I sold for $550 it at a tack swap. It's a pretty common saddle, judging by what's on ebay. Just check to be sure the panels are in good condition and you're good to go. It is not very forgiving of your position, however. And mine was not made for short-legged riders.

I absolutely LOVE my Crosby Centennial Internationale! I've had it since the early 2000's and you would think it's only a few years old. I am 5'4" with a very long thigh, I have the extra long, extra forward flap, medium tree 17". It fits a large variety of horses including the 'hard to fit' types. There are many times when a Butet is too narrow for a TB or the pommel sits on a TB's withers whereas my Centennial has a nice cut away pommel that can accomodate more of a wither.

IF you can find one (as they are discontinued) you won't be disappointed. The Medium tree isn't quite as narrow as say a Butet's Medium. It easlily accomodates horses & ponies with a narrow, wide, and regular barrel and regular or high withers. The only time I would not recommend this as a good fit would be if you have a horse or pony with "no withers."

It's a great close contact, more minimal in style but has very cushiony knee rolls (I have knee problems).

Another vote here for the Crosby Centennial - I specified mine to be wool flocked and I've been pleased so far. It was one of the only saddles that fit my narrow TB mare. I'm short, and I have a 16: reg flap -- I find the flap length to be a bit long. It is pretty comfortable, although I traded up from a really old PDN.

Like the PDN, it fits almost everything - although it doesn't fit the roly poly ponies so very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
    Like the PDN, it fits almost everything - although it doesn't fit the roly poly ponies so very well.
    That is exactly what I was getting at!

Fits everything but the roly poly ponies hehe

I'm always afraid I'll wind up under the roly poly pony - Thelwell style!!

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful information. I am scrounging everywhere on the internet (fun and frustrating). There aren't many Centennials or Equilibriums in my price range or even available, but I will keep on hunting. At this point, this saddle is in the running:

Excel H, with longer flaps (14 1/2")
    http://www.equinenow.com/english_saddle-ad-8274

There are more pics on the actual seller's website, but you have to scroll down to see:
    http://www.yoursaddles.com/#/17-a-n/4542799373

My old saddle was a Hampton Classic which made me pinch at the knee and put me too forward. I want to avoid a repeat of this. I am not sure when this Excel was made (seller doesn't know), but my Hampton Classic was 1994 and I know that Crosby changed manufacturer/owners.

Thoughts?

the 16.5" long flap dominus on yoursaddles.com looks beautiful. Not sure if that would be an option for you, but those are nice saddles for the price. Plus, it's wool flocked. Just sayin'...

No, Crosby did not change manufacturers in the 1990s. Those saddles-- before, then and now-- are made by the Walsall Riding Saddle Company.

Crosby was the name for the tack that Miller's-- a major North American distributor-- used. After Miller's broke up (and a few rounds of other distribution companies came in and left the building), WRS Co. started making "Crosby" Excel saddles and then it's own Exselle saddles. It will still make Crosby saddles for Weatherbeeta, the distributor who owns the Crosby name.

Whatevs. In general, the quality of all these saddles is "Crosby Excellent" and the saddles are fairly priced. Oh, and WSR will make saddles to order from their available models and trees if you know what you want and a tack store with a good relationship with them. They still have the templates and trees for all of the saddles going back to the Miller's/Crosby era. If I had alotta coin to "invest" in "scientific experimentation," I'd have them build me a cross between an AGA Grand Prix and an Equllibium.

Sorry for the trivia.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
    the 16.5" long flap dominus on yoursaddles.com looks beautiful. Not sure if that would be an option for you, but those are nice saddles for the price. Plus, it's wool flocked. Just sayin'...
    Yeah...I definitely need a 17"

Shoot. I do so love to enable used saddle shopping...

It's my understanding Crosby bought Walsall Riding Saddle Company, but I'm not 100% on that.

I have a Walsall Riding Saddle Company Selle Francaise saddle and I adore it! They are nearly impossible to find, but anyone who rides in my saddle thinks its great and it rides better than the $3000-$4000 Counties and Black Countries that I tried when I was looking for a saddle to fit my new guy.

You should be able to pick one up for $700 - $1000
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

eliza,

Try giving Tender Touch Gifts a call, it's a consignment shop near me. I know they had two Crosby Centennials 17" & 17.5" walk in the door the last time I was in maybe two months ago. Not sure if they have been sold or not. They were both in nice condition, just needed a good oiling. When I was there both were priced around $750 and the owner will negotiate.

Tender Touch Gift & Crafts
    803 Doe Run Road Coatesville, PA 19320
    (610) 380-1876

Do any of the older crosby's have more forward flaps than the rest? I have a PDN Sovereign and my knees hang over the fronts of the flaps. I was wondering if there were any other models I should keep an eye out for.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    No, Crosby did not change manufacturers in the 1990s. Those saddles-- before, then and now-- are made by the Walsall Riding Saddle Company.

Crosby was the name for the tack that Miller's-- a major North American distributor-- used. After Miller's broke up (and a few rounds of other distribution companies came in and left the building), WRS Co. started making "Crosby" Excel saddles and then it's own Exselle saddles. It will still make Crosby saddles for Weatherbeeta, the distributor who owns the Crosby name.

Whatevs. In general, the quality of all these saddles is "Crosby Excellent" and the saddles are fairly priced. Oh, and WSR will make saddles to order from their available models and trees if you know what you want and a tack store with a good relationship with them. They still have the templates and trees for all of the saddles going back to the Miller's/Crosby era. If I had alotta coin to "invest" in "scientific experimentation," I'd have them build me a cross between an AGA Grand Prix and an Equllibium.

Sorry for the trivia.
    I like the trivia and it is helpful! I think I may go for the Excel H unless there are any major red flags from the crosby experts out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    Do any of the older crosby's have more forward flaps than the rest? I have a PDN Sovereign and my knees hang over the fronts of the flaps. I was wondering if there were any other models I should keep an eye out for.
    My Selle Francaise has a pretty forward flap. I'm 5'8 super long hip to kee and my saddle (I think) is a 17". I'm definitely maxing out the forwardness of the flap, but here is how it fits:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    My Selle Francaise has a pretty forward flap. I'm 5'8 super long hip to kee and my saddle (I think) is a 17". I'm definitely maxing out the forwardness of the flap, but here is how it fits:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater
    Thanks!