The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long will an Amigo turnout stay waterproof?

I know Rambos stay waterproof for years and years however am curious as to how long Amigo's 600D and 1200D turnouts hold up in comparision to the Rambo. I have Amigo sheets that are in their 2nd and some in their 3rd year of use... just hoping they hold up this season!

Also shopping around for a medium fill turnout with hood attachement capabilities and a no fill hood. Smartpaks hood only comes with fill which is so frustrating when its 50 degrees and rainy!

Decisions... Decisions
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Speaking from my own experience, I would not buy another Amigo. I had a no-fill sheet of theirs years ago, and the inside lining ripped within a year. It also did not stay waterproof for longer than a year.
    I tried the Amigo Mio last year, I think it was 600Denier. Had to spray with waterproofing after about 6mos.
    Maybe my horses are just unusually hard on their blankets, but I have been happy with my Rambos (one is going on 15years old!) and would stick to that.
    I've also tried the Tack of the Day blankets, which I think are made by the Bit Of Britain folks - they seem to be holding up pretty well after one year.

My horse has every turnout blanket I have ever bought him and all but one are still in great condition. I've had him 9 years now and haven't purchased any new blankets in at least 4 years. Some are cheap brands, some are good brands, but he doesnt' have anything super expensive. I'm fairly certain one is an Amigo. I have washed them all, many times over the years, and only had to re-waterproof one. It's the one that is not in great condition, mainly because my horse's bff chewed the belly strap off of it.

My test for waterproofing is that I take them all out before winter and squirt the water hose on them, if they bead up, I leave them. If they don't, I re-waterproof. Maybe try that?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

My old sheet stayed great for years! It's true, the inner lining did rip, but I would just sew it up at the start, never had a problem with leaking

Last year I got a new one so that I could attach a hood, hoping it's works out the same.

I personally really like the amigos.

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    Speaking from my own experience, I would not buy another Amigo. I had a no-fill sheet of theirs years ago, and the inside lining ripped within a year. It also did not stay waterproof for longer than a year.
    I tried the Amigo Mio last year, I think it was 600Denier. Had to spray with waterproofing after about 6mos.
    Maybe my horses are just unusually hard on their blankets, but I have been happy with my Rambos (one is going on 15years old!) and would stick to that.
    I've also tried the Tack of the Day blankets, which I think are made by the Bit Of Britain folks - they seem to be holding up pretty well after one year.
    I think there was a bad batch of Mios. I have generally not had problems with Amigos going leaky... but I had a Mio that seemed to start that way. The tack shop switched it out for me and the replacement one had no problems.

I'm pretty sure the TOTD and BOB turnouts are made by Shires.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

One season for my Amigo turnout sheet. I have tried reproofing it as well with absolutely no luck.

Two Schneiders turnout sheets later.....they stayed waterproof for probably 3-4 mths each.....I gave up, bit the bullet and bought a real Rambo turnout. Won't buy anything else now.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

My gelding's Amigo (600d) is on its 4th year and still holding up great! No tears, and still waterproof, and I even wash it numerous times per year (with phosphate free detergent).

The older one I have stayed great for ages...probably still is great. I bought one last year...and my horse got wet the first time he got rained on. I started the process of sending it back, but it was such a hassle (had to send it directly to Horseware), that I just never put it on him without another turnout under or over it. I waterproofed it for this season last week.