The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ignorant a$$e$ across the street - vent

A family moved into the place across the road from our farm in July. There was a small tortie kitty seen on the outside window sill a few times, then about 3 weeks ago, kitty was was seen by our garbage cans that were awaiting pickup. The next week, kitty was on our property, by the pasture.
    When I approached her, she ran off. On Friday last, she was sitting in the middle of my driveway, much closer to the house. I seen a lot of drool coming from her mouth. I took out a can of Friskies moist food, and a dish of water and set it down across the drive. She ran to it as I walked away, and attempted to eat. After she took a bite, she sat up on her haunches and used her little paws to try to pull it out of her mouth. Finally, she came up to me and I felt how horribly thin she was. Her eyes were clear, but there was a bad odor coming from her mouth.
    My vets' office was already closed, and due to unexpected problems, I wasn't home again until Monday.
    She was in my yard that afternoon, so I again put out food & water for her, she looked at it and didn't even try to eat it.
    At that point, I put her in the car and went to my vet. She was a very good girl for the ride, and I was hoping that maybe she had one of the nasty stickers in her mouth causing her problems.
    My vet attempted to look in her mouth, and as he put the tongue depressor in there, the mouth began to bleed.
    We did blood test, and sadly it showed that she was positive for feline aids. Her mouth was badly infected, and she was extremely dehydrated.
    We talked about her chances, and her quality of life. I told them that I was not 100% sure if she did belong to the new neighbors, but if so, it seemed that they did not care.
    The vet told me that in her best interest, the kindest thing to do was to end her pain.
    I petted her, told her how sorry I was that people had let her down, and we helped her across the bridge.
    I brought her home and buried her under 2 big pines.
    RIP Little Lady.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; Oct. 3, 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

As much as I'd like to tar and feather the people who neglected that poor kitty for their cruel and ignorant behavior, it's selfless, compassionate people like you who retain my faith in people.

Thank you for easing her end and doing the right thing.

That is so sad ... glad you could help her at the end, and that she knew you were trying to help her by feeding her.

I'm so sorry for the poor kitteh... but glad you were able to help her out at the end.

Bless you, and a pox on kitty's so-called owners. Poor little girl.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Oh God, SO sad. Bless you for doing the right thing by this poor cat.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Are you sure it was THEIR cat (you said "outside sill", to me that implies she was on the outside of the window, not in the house) and not some stray that had been hanging around until they arrived? Or if it was a small kitten, one of this year's crop some queen had on their property that wasn't strong enough to thrive once it was weaned? There are tons of cats around here that are, at best, only nominally someone's, and at least one that just appeared from somewhere and none of us can get within twenty feet. I've had cats start hanging around my place on the porch or in the garage, but they're certainly not mine and in most cases they're not friendly. I mean, yeah, crucify your neighbors if you want, and it's probably best you were able to get the kitten into a carrier and into the vet to be put down, but most cats running around loose aren't because someone tossed them out, at least in rural areas.

Poor kitty. I'm glad she came across a nice person like you that did your absolute best to try to help her, and gave her a nice final resting place on your property. If only all pets could be so lucky. Great job and jingles for you.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

TB, dang it....you've had your cat ups and downs. Bless you for taking responsibility for this girl. You rock. I hope this little girl is off romping with Artie.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

SUX to clean up someone else's mess.

BTDT - had to put down the little black cat who adopted me for nearly a year after some asshat tossed him out.
    A-hat may or may not have also been responsible for the limp RF cat had from Day One & therefore distrust of humans in general.
    RIP, Black Betty (named by me in error as no sign "she" was male)

He was replaced - almost immediately! - by another young male.
    Most likely a dumpee since he's in pretty good health and has taken less than a month to go from running away to demanding "his" bowl be filled and accepting pets.

TimeBandit - keep on helping these cats that can't help themselves and believe Karma will take care of the jerks who put them in such bad situations.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

I'm in tears for the poor little girl kitty! May all the horrible COTH curses strike those asshats who callously abandoned her.

Bless you for taking her in and doing the right thing, even though it turned out to be painful for you. It was a blessing for that poor little girl. I'm crying HARD now-- I have my own tortie girl that I found as an abandoned kitten, so this hit me really close to home.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Poor baby Good for you for doing the right thing for her.

Regardless of who she belonged to, someone failed her along the way. If not the neighbors, then whoever dumped her or her mother. Luckily there are good souls in this world who take it upon themselves to help when they are presented with the opportunity.

She knew where to come for help, and you gave her the best help available under her circumstances. At least she knew love and caring although it was but for a short while. {{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}} to you for doing the best thing for her.

Thanks guys. I knew you'd understand. I'm almost 100% positive she was brought in by them because I had also seen her by their minivan when they were getting in it on numerous occasions. If she wasn't theirs, I don't think she would have been so close to them.
    We don't have any strays around here, we are just outside of a state forest where strays don't survive on their own. Was told that by a forestery worker.
    I HATE having to make that decision to end a life. I am not God!
    She was purring in the exam room as I petted her. That really hurt.
    I wish it could have ended better for her, but it was not meant to be...
    Yes Jen S, Artie, Gizmo & Taz all greeted her at the bridge. She became a member of our family, if only for a little while.

Default Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Thanks guys. I knew you'd understand. I'm almost 100% positive she was brought in by them because I had also seen her by their minivan when they were getting in it on numerous occasions. If she wasn't theirs, I don't think she would have been so close to them.
    We don't have any strays around here, we are just outside of a state forest where strays don't survive on their own. Was told that by a forestery worker.
    I HATE having to make that decision to end a life. I am not God!
    She was purring in the exam room as I petted her. That really hurt.
    I wish it could have ended better for her, but it was not meant to be...
    Yes Jen S, Artie, Gizmo & Taz all greeted her at the bridge. She became a member of our family, if only for a little while.
    Bless your heart. In the good way.

Thanks for doing what was right.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Damn...I didn't need to start the day at work sniffling.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Damn...I didn't need to start the day at work sniffling.
    Same.

My God, that poor kitten... thank you for doing what was right by the girl, TB.

Reading stuff like this not only makes me cry, but makes me realize that the illegality of me owning a firearm in the state of MD is probably a good thing...

Especially if I were in such close proximity to the "people" who allowed this poor animal to reach such a point.

And Trakehner, I didn't know you were a "cat man." All the more respect to you, sir! *tips hat*
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Yep...I've got 3 cats, a little Siamese girl named Lily, a Havana Brown boy named Stogie (well, the breed is named after cigar color) and a semi-long haired barn rescue when she was a little kitten who's named Abigail.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Thank you for helping the little kitty to a better place! A few of mine will be waiting to greet her. Ya done good!