The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Then there's a lot of horses that lost their "lines" when some F became G... Or when some W switched to F...

But I respect your opinion, yet I still disagree.
    Not so sure what lines were "lost" as the W/F-line still exists, is intact, and goes back through the sire line to Feiner Kerl.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

In the grand scheme of things, this kind of semantics is pretty for down the "needs" pyramid, but I will throw my 2 cents in.

Because of the Hanoverian naming convention, with the horse taking the first letter of the sire's name, "G line" most definitely implies the horses' sire line. If I were commenting on my TB-Hanoverian mare, I would state that she is by Wilawander out of a G line mare. I mean, if you don't follow this convention...where would you stop? The 2nd dam may be Rubinstein. So...you wouldn't say the mare is an "R line", would you?

The sire line, is the sire line. And this is exactly why the HV has started stamm numbers just like the Holsteiners.
    So it would be more accurate to say x horse comes from, or carries "G-Line origins" if I follow your logic? Than only x horse is a "G-Line" horse.
    In french I would always say: x horse "descend de la lignée G hanovrienne" wich does not mean "IS A" but more like "comes FROM" So would that be better?
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Jesus Bent Hickory, I was reffering to the fact that you were saying does the name starts with G? No... (infering that if it does not start with G, it is NOT a G line horse...) . and I wrote SOME not ALL. I know the W and F still exist. Where's the rolling eyes smilie??
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Spike, I'm not going to say this to wind you up....seriously.

Because there is a translation issue here. I would still say the dam line was G line. It describes that the sire line of a mare is G.

But you know? I thought about this, and I never in my life have used the term "line" at ALL when discussing any of my horses' pedigrees. If someone asks, I say "by Fielding out of a Maurice/Wenzel/Valentino xx dam".

G line really doesn't tell me ANYTHING as a breeder. THere were branches of the G line that evolved into very different types of horses. And Grande was not the only G named progenator. Gaylan for instance was a Shagya Arabian. THere were two Godewin's. One grom Gotthard line (stood in Canada) and one in Germany from the Shagya line. G line is just NOT enough information when discussing pedigrees.

ETA - "L" line....within the last 10 years it means descended from Lauries Crusador xx. BEFORE that it meant Der Loewe xx. Two completely different origins.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    ETA - "L" line....within the last 10 years it means descended from Lauries Crusador xx. BEFORE that it meant Der Loewe xx. Two completely different origins.
    Some of us immediately jump to Ladykiller xx.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Good point BH. I was thinking about Holsteiners, and the fact that I'm SURE at this point they don't say "C line" or "L line". THere are so many stallions descended from Ladykiller and Cor de la Bryere you just can't. It's meaningless.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

There is a newly imported stallion in Ocala named Eremias at a farm I ride at that throws some really nice jumpers. He is an approved Hanoverian stallion by Escudo I that has shown up to the GP level in Germany and will be coming back on the scene this winter at hits. Even the few dressage horses he sired have a great jump in them and has some bigger jumpers over in Germany right now. You can check him out at HopeHallFarm.com under horses and then to stallion.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Isn't the current E line in Hannover one of the old W lines? IIRC, they both descend from Alnok. Another really big set of Gs, but mostly dressagey, is Goldfisch, isn't it?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

You could consider using Espri or Escudo I frozen semen on your G line mare. That will be a ton of jump! If you are willing to consider an Oldenburg, you could also consider Jupiter (Zeus- E line Hanoverian dam) especially if your mare is tall and throws tall.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Or you could consider Stakkato, or one of his sons, Stalypso.....there are videos on you tube of both jumping...both have plenty of power and scope for the "big show." ;-)

She's 16 and hasn't had a foal in 9 years so I don't want to risk frozen with her. Plus, she's only 16 hands so height is a consideration too. I would like to register the foal AHS if possible but if I have to go with a different registry for the perfect stallion, that is an option too.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Apiro is listed in the AHS Jumper breeding program. They seem to be fairly strict with their criteria, which ignores hunters.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Apiro is stunning but I do consider him a hunter sire. I wouldn't mind breeding him to my TB mare but she will probably get 2013 off.

www.Hopehallfarm.com just set up shop here in Ocala from Germany. They have Eretimis. An Escudo stallion. Grand Prix jumper in Europe. I may have his name ( all the names wrong LOL!) He's only one of 3 approved Escudo stallions in the USA. At least this is what people that know what they are talking about tell me. Unlike me.He's stunning.
    Karen Grimes, Horse Farm Realtor Ocala, owner Farm Tours of Ocala Just say no to snow! http://www.horsedirtforsale.com

I don't know if you would want to go with a new stallion, but there are some really lovely, well bred stallions listed in the NA Stallion Testing Roster, lots of jumpers!
    http://www.nastalliontesting.com/

<http://www.hanoverian-gb.org.uk/TheHanoverian/BloodlinesoftheHanoverian/tabid/213/Default.aspx>

Bloodlines of the Hannoverian horse.

the W-line is former F-line in hannoverians (from Flingarth). This days most well known F-line (other than hannoverian) comes from Furioso xx.

Quote Originally Posted by Karengrimes View Post
    www.Hopehallfarm.com just set up shop here in Ocala from Germany. They have Eretimis. An Escudo stallion. Grand Prix jumper in Europe. I may have his name ( all the names wrong LOL!) He's only one of 3 approved Escudo stallions in the USA. At least this is what people that know what they are talking about tell me. Unlike me.He's stunning.
    It is Eremias - he went to the Bundeschampionat in 2004 & 2005.
    http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/246286

Do you know if they are they going to show him here in jumpers?

they have Bon Balou in the 2012 70 Day Test listing. I thought he was already licensed in Germany. ??

He and Vive Victory are the only Hanos I see on the 70 Day Test list. And both are Canadian owned. What's up in the States with the Amer. Hano Society breeders??

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    She's 16 and hasn't had a foal in 9 years so I don't want to risk frozen with her. Plus, she's only 16 hands so height is a consideration too. I would like to register the foal AHS if possible but if I have to go with a different registry for the perfect stallion, that is an option too.
    With the limited information provided and no pictures I would also say Landkoenig.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Don't forget Han approved sires like Quite Easy, for instance.