The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need help with Triple Crown 30% and TC Growth~

TC has made me feel kinda dumb. lol.

I had to feed my broodmare enough of the TC Growth that she did get more than the min recommended amount. So I didn't need to think so hard about it.
    And when she was thinning along her top line I did as instructed by loyal COTH breeders and added protien in the form of TC 30% [about 1.5lb daily] and her topline looked much better.

But the TC 30% bag doesn't say--give X amount for horses in no work, moderate work, heavy work and so forth.

So how much of that stuff do I actually need to feed?

Stats:
    horses are out on pasture 24/7. Currently it is green and grazable and there is plenty of it.

horses:
    1. QH event horse is in moderate work -- min hay provided to this fat easy keeper.

1. TB event horse currently off track for 1 month so he's in weight gain mode.
    2. Weanling

both of the above receive alfalfa and coastal hay. Basically they are tied at their stations for 1 hour (twice a day) for feeding and they eat their food and then as much alfalfa from their hay nets as the time allows.

*I have NO CLUE as to how much TC 30% to feed any of them.
    *And I have NO CLUE how much (or if any) TC Growth is needed for the weanling. If she stays of good weight with some beet pulp and TC 30% I think I can discontinue the Growth...?
    Right now she's getting 1lb of Growth twice daily plus beet pulp and a hand full of TC 30%.

I read through the feeding weanling threads and didn't find much in the likes of Triple Crown info.
    It's all centered around OCD issues and OCD pellets..which I have never heard of.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Here's the feeding info for the 30% off the website:

Feeding Directions
    Triple Crown 30% Supplement can be used to balance pasture and/or hay, improve nutrition in diets when feeding small amounts, or to mix with your own grains for a balanced diet. Adjust feed, pasture or hay to maintain desired body condition.
    For balancing pasture and/or hay, feed 1 lb. to 1.5 lbs. per 1000 lbs. of body weight. Feed .5 lbs. to .75 lbs. for ponies. For horses in moderate to high levels of activity, and for broodmares and breeding stallions, feed 1.5 lbs. to 2 lbs. per day.For balanced diets where current feeding rates fall below the minimum for that diet, add .5 lbs. to 1 lb. per 1000 lbs. of body weight along with the diet being fed. Feed .25 lbs. to .5 lbs. for ponies. For horses in moderate to high levels of activity, and for broodmares and breeding stallions, feed 1 lb. per day.
    When mixing with your own grains (oats, corn or barley), mix at a ratio of 1:4.5 of Triple Crown 30% Supplement along with your grains and add molasses, if desired, for palatability and consistency.

NOTE: Provide plenty of fresh, clean water at all times. Keep product fresh in cool, dry storage. Examine product daily for mold or insect contamination. DO NOT use product that is old, molded or insect contaminated.

well now I feel stupid.

The bag just lists a whole bunch of different percentages.
    Made my eyes and brain go googly.

thanks!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!