The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Ebay forced me to take the saddle back if it came back in the same condition. Saddle didn't. It has 2 slices on each side of the wool panel under the billets.... Someone had a non county related fitter try to fit her horse. Nobody else would use methods like that. Ebay is reviewing the case because this completely destroys the value of the saddle. I won't refund her at this point.

What a nightmare! I hope that this ends well for you.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

WTF!!!

And if I'm not mistaken, my saddle has, County saddles have small pockets for the fitter to put/remove wool as needed at few places on the panels. No need to unstitch or worst, slice it open...

The buyer's saddle "butcher" should be sued.

My (ex) county fitter cut slits into my Jaguar to reflock it. I was livid and that's what caused her to become an "ex." I understand why that would piss you off!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    What a nightmare! I hope that this ends well for you.
    I know! I would have just refunded her if there weren't cuts in it. I would have just sent it to a consignment store and let it sell for a lower profit. I am just very frustrated. I sent ebay lots of photos and its just insane that someone thinks they can get away with that. I am assuming that she didn't think the saddle had defects but that it didn't fit her horse after someone tried to reflock it so she wanted to send it back. My county rep said the saddle is basically worth 1k less because it effects the integrity of the saddle. WTF!!!!!!! Please cross your fingers for me that this will end in my favor.

I uploaded a picture of the damage as my profile picture so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    The buyer's saddle "butcher" should be sued.
    Oh yes, let's sue somebody

1 members found this post helpful.

Wonder if the buyer even knew what her saddle fitter had done? Definitely, she broke it, she bought it.

I hate to say it, but every County saddle fitter that I have ever used has slit the saddle in that spot with a pen knife to reflock. Every one of my County saddles looks like that. Saying that, I would not be ok with someone who did not own the saddle having new flocking holes added.

I hope you find a good resolution to your problem.

IMO the "buyer" needed to return the saddle in the same condition as it was sent to her in order to be eligible for a refund.

My County had slits cut for reflocking but that was under my watch for fitting my horse.

I hope that eBay finds in the OPs favor. You can't have work done on a basically new saddle and then ask to return it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My county saddle fitter always used a metal rod to stuff it. It was never cut into. She told me to never get it cut because it does change the integrity of the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by TotB View Post
    I hate to say it, but every County saddle fitter that I have ever used has slit the saddle in that spot with a pen knife to reflock. Every one of my County saddles looks like that.
    I agree. And mine did it without telling me first. I was LIVID. LIVID!!!!
    ~Veronica

Regardless of whether or not cutting holes in the panels is "standard" procedure..... the saddle has been altered. Even a non-horsey person (i.e., an Ebay rep) should be able to figure out that a permanent alteration such as that would make the item non-returnable, since it is no longer in the condition in which it was sold.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Whether or not this is a common method for reflocking a County saddle or not, buyer should not have authorized a permanent alteration to a saddle and then think she still had an option to return it. Having a fitter evaluate it on the horse, that is one thing, reflocking it - totally different.

That being said, there is no way to predict what way eBay will lean on the dispute.

OP, I'm so sorry that this has turned out so poorly for you.

While I don't think the buyer's fitter should be sued, I certainly think a reasonable person should understand that this is not being returned in the condition it was sent out in.

I have suggested to eBay in the past that they would go a long way in improving dispute resolution if they would employ some people with expertise in the various things they allow to be listed. As others have said, you are at the mercy now of whoever is reviewing the case. In the case of a saddle that I sold that she wanted to return, even though I specified no returns and she initially said it was exactly as described, she tried to return it a couple days later saying "something" was wrong with the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Regardless of whether or not cutting holes in the panels is "standard" procedure..... the saddle has been altered. Even a non-horsey person (i.e., an Ebay rep) should be able to figure out that a permanent alteration such as that would make the item non-returnable, since it is no longer in the condition in which it was sold.
    Agree 100%! I'm just pointing out that for better or for worse, at least some County reps also do it this way.

If the OP has photos, with dates, that show the "before" condition of the saddle-- hopefully she'll prevail!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    I have suggested to eBay in the past that they would go a long way in improving dispute resolution if they would employ some people with expertise in the various things they allow to be listed. As others have said, you are at the mercy now of whoever is reviewing the case. In the case of a saddle that I sold that she wanted to return, even though I specified no returns and she initially said it was exactly as described, she tried to return it a couple days later saying "something" was wrong with the tree.
    Oh, HEAR HEAR! That would make a HUGE difference!
    ~Veronica

Paul Selvey has a website and there you will find his cell phone number. You might consider calling him and confronting him with what this buyer is claiming.

Sometimes saddle fitters, if they also carry their own saddles, will exaggerate a saddle's deficiencies to talk the customer into buying a new saddle from them instead. I am not insinuating this is what happened, because Paul is extremely busy making saddles and wouldn't need to resort to such tactics, but you never know.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

OP, it sounds like this has been a miserable experience for you and I really, really hope it turns out in your favor.

And, while this is a minor point, I would take the following with a grain of salt:

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    My county rep said the saddle is basically worth 1k less because it effects the integrity of the saddle. WTF!!!!!!!
    I've worked with several County reps over the years and NEVER met one who looked favorably on people either buying or selling their saddles online/on eBay (I had one who I'd worked with before but flat wouldn't help me with fit issues on a privately-purchased County b/c it didn't come from him; that he would be paid for his time didn't seem to matter). They like to do the buying and selling themselves, so there's a chance that estimate is a bit overblown to send you a "serves you right" message.
    While the saddle certainly shouldn't have come back altered, it's hard to believe the tiny-looking slit in your pic would drop the price by a grand. I sincerely hope the changes the would-be buyer made will serve to help you win with eBay, but also aren't so big that you won't be able to turn around and sell the saddle elsewhere for the same or near the same price you'd previously asked.
    Fingers crossed.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    OP, it sounds like this has been a miserable experience for you and I really, really hope it turns out in your favor.

And, while this is a minor point, I would take the following with a grain of salt:

I've worked with several County reps over the years and NEVER met one who looked favorably on people either buying or selling their saddles online/on eBay (I had one who I'd worked with before but flat wouldn't help me with fit issues on a privately-purchased County b/c it didn't come from him; that he would be paid for his time didn't seem to matter). They like to do the buying and selling themselves, so there's a chance that estimate is a bit overblown to send you a "serves you right" message.
    While the saddle certainly shouldn't have come back altered, it's hard to believe the tiny-looking slit in your pic would drop the price by a grand. I sincerely hope the changes the would-be buyer made will serve to help you win with eBay, but also aren't so big that you won't be able to turn around and sell the saddle elsewhere for the same or near the same price you'd previously asked.
    Fingers crossed.
    My experience is the same (County reps are bigtime dismissive of any saddle, even a County, that they didn't sell you) and given that they TOO cut slits to flock-- I find it hard to believe it devalues the saddles (at least in their estimation!).
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Sometimes it just makes me feel better to talk about it. This whole experience has been a nightmare. No matter if this comes out in my favor or not, I will never sell a high priced item on ebay again. Its just not worth the stress. For God's Sake I had to get a police report! I had to spend 2 hours at a police station to get them to file a police report on the damaged saddle. Because ebay requires it if the item is damaged. I've probably spent 30 hours just dealing with ebay and this buyer. So not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Sometimes it just makes me feel better to talk about it. This whole experience has been a nightmare. No matter if this comes out in my favor or not, I will never sell a high priced item on ebay again. Its just not worth the stress. For God's Sake I had to get a police report! I had to spend 2 hours at a police station to get them to file a police report on the damaged saddle. Because ebay requires it if the item is damaged. I've probably spent 30 hours just dealing with ebay and this buyer. So not worth it.
    OMG, I am so sorry for you.