The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I bet you if you polled County saddle fitters under oath, at least 50% would have to say they sometimes cut slits to reflock and probably all of them would subsequently admit it doesn't substantially affect the value of the saddle. I don't prefer this be done to my saddle, but the reality is that it commonly is. Commonly enough that it does not significantly devalue the saddle even if it's not best practices for saddle fitting.

Whether you think the buyer was right or wrong in allowing the slits to be cut (assuming for the sake of argument that it was the buyer who did it), I find it outragous that someone's telling the OP it devalues the saddle by $1000. You could have that entire piece of leather replaced by a master saddle fitter for a couple hundred backs. So, I'm sorry, there's no way the saddle is now devalued by $1000.
    It's not the slits so much as the location - which looks to be on the billet webbing side of the saddle: normally slits are made on the underside of the panels (facing the horse rather than the rider's leg - so no tension on the cut leather when the saddle is in use).

Stitching leather does not return integrity to the leather (try having tears in the seat or pommel stitched & see how long they last) - replacing the leather in that area looks like it would require the entire saddle be taken apart & a rather large piece of new leather (that matches the saddle) be installed (ie possibly the entire panel): if you can find someone to do this for $200 & ebay paid for it, I suspect the OP would be very happy with that solution

I suspect the OP would even happily invest $200 in her saddle to return it to it's original condition.

Of course there is another option - the professional saddler that made the cuts should have no diffciulty selling this saddle on, as he can attest to all prospective buyers that this is how he always does the reflocking

MJ848 get's her money, buyer gets the saddle which she then trades into saddler for a saddle which does fit her horse (I suspect this may already be in process) & ebay has another successful transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    It's not the slits so much as the location - which looks to be on the billet webbing side of the saddle: normally slits are made on the underside of the panels (facing the horse rather than the rider's leg - so no tension on the cut leather when the saddle is in use).

Stitching leather does not return integrity to the leather (try having tears in the seat or pommel stitched & see how long they last) - replacing the leather in that area looks like it would require the entire saddle be taken apart & a rather large piece of new leather (that matches the saddle) be installed (ie possibly the entire panel): if you can find someone to do this for $200 & ebay paid for it, I suspect the OP would be very happy with that solution

I suspect the OP would even happily invest $200 in her saddle to return it to it's original condition.

Of course there is another option - the professional saddler that made the cuts should have no diffciulty selling this saddle on, as he can attest to all prospective buyers that this is how he always does the reflocking

MJ848 get's her money, buyer gets the saddle which she then trades into saddler for a saddle which does fit her horse (I suspect this may already be in process) & ebay has another successful transaction.

From the photos provided by the OP, it's not 100% clear to me where the slits are. I am sure, regardless of location, there's a solution that costs well under $1,000... if you even believe that the slits cause a problem in the first place!

There is 0.000 % chance of eBay going for this solution which now involves them compelling the action of an unrelated 3rd part. How exactly is eBay going to force the saddle fitter, who for all we know is not an eBay member, to sell/repair/accept back the saddle?

And what if the buyer says "those slits were not here when I had the saddle." You automatically believe the OP-- but why should you? For all you know, she created the slits herself and/or they "happened in shipping."
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The case was settled after I appealed it on Thursday! Ebay refunded both me and the buyer. Ebay decided that they didn't have enough evidence to give money to one person or the other. The reason why the buyer was refunded, was because the original case manager went out of town and the person who picked up the work didn't read all of the emails. So because they refunded the buyer, they had to refund me because it was ebay's mistake. So basically I still get to keep the saddle. (not sure what I will do with it.). I might donate it to the local pony club equestrian center. So seller's beware take pictures of every inch of your saddle so you are covered from all disputes. even take measurements of everything! I am very happy with the result and I will still sell things on ebay but I won't sell anything above $200. Thank you for all of the support on here. It definitely made me fight till the finish!

9 members found this post helpful.

So happy it worked out for you!! And that ebay took the hit to keep both parties happy.

I'll bet you can still get a good price for your saddle if you want to sell it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! I love that it worked out for you. also love the idea of donating the saddle in some way. Would be great karma. Since its a nice saddle even though it has been devalued by the knife I wonder if it would be a good silent auction item for a fundraiser at the club or another equine charity? If they could get 1500 out of it that's a couple of less expensive saddles.

That is outstanding!! And I'm so happy that you did not just take their first answer. This is exactly how I wish more sellers AND buyers would treat issues with eBay and PayPal when they are sure they are in the right. If you get to the right person, you CAN be heard.

Great news

I also vote for listing the saddle with someone such as Fine Used Saddles & then donating cash to your local Pony Club etc (you also deserve a nice treat for all the stress/activity of the fight, so keep a portion for yourself )

Good, that worked out nicely! You are very lucky. I like the idea of donating the saddle to charity, someone will really love it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Is anyone else surprised that eBay hasn't requested the saddle itself since both buyer and seller were "paid off"? That's an awful lot of money to just hand over.

OP suggestion of donating it sounds like a good choice otherwise.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post
    Is anyone else surprised that eBay hasn't requested the saddle itself since both buyer and seller were "paid off"? That's an awful lot of money to just hand over.

eBay read this thread.

Congrats to OP. Definitely one for the books.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Bottom line. She sold a saddle as final sale. The buyer took the saddle, permanently altered it trying to make it fit her horse, and now claims that it is defective. Why should the seller take back a damaged item?
    Exactly. If someone bought a dress on eBay, only to get it and find that it was too small/too large and they took it to a tailor and had it taken in/let out/hemmed shorter/whatever, and were still not happy, eBay would not expect the seller to take it back.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    eBay read this thread.

Congrats to OP. Definitely one for the books.
    x2
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post

yes I was surprised as well... kind of like when UPS refunds your money on a lost insured package. If they end up finding it, it belongs to them since they've paid for it...

OP, ok I'll take it, just to get it out of your hands, I'll PM you my address for shipment

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    eBay read this thread.
    Seriously, that might be possible... we had like 4 or 5 people posting they would never use ebay anymore and people googling "ebay + saddle + reviews" might have ended up finding the thread... it wouldn't be the first time a customer gets resolution from COTH pressure...

I have decided I will list it with fine used saddles and then donate the money to local horse organizations. Here in WI, hay is $15 a bale and I know there will be a lot of people who can't afford hay. So I might donate hay to a horse rescue or something. Im not sure yet. It will go somewhere that will put the money to good use!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I have decided I will list it with fine used saddles and then donate the money to local horse organizations. Here in WI, hay is $15 a bale and I know there will be a lot of people who can't afford hay. So I might donate hay to a horse rescue or something. Im not sure yet. It will go somewhere that will put the money to good use!
    Great outcome and great plan!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

So happy for you! And good on you for paying it forward by donating the proceeds from the saddle sale!

Sometimes UPS wants items that they pay out on, sometimes not. I have had damage claims that they pay out on where they actually take the item and sometimes not. They will then put it into their semi-annual auctions to recover some of their money.

I'm also somewhat surprised that eBay does not want the saddle, but I assume that they told OP that she can dispose of it. Otherwise I would caution her to wait a couple weeks before shipping it off to consignment to be sure eBay does not contact her for the saddle.

Default Yippee

Hi Morgan Jumper,
    I am so happy eBay did the right thing for a change! Good for you for following through and getting justice.

And by selling the saddle to benefit horse rescue and retirement, great karma will be in store for you. After all you have been through, making the decision to donate the money is just wonderful.

Hallie

Way to turn bad vibes into good karma!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble