The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

If you have a rep which saw it and it was fine....get their documentation and the guarantee and give them to ebay. Keep the funds.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

1 members found this post helpful.

That added information makes it easy.

Saddle is still under warranty. You put the no return policy in the bill of sale. Assuming warranty transfers to new owner? She can deal with County for any "defects".

Be sure to add a comment to any negative review she leaves but 100 positives is going to trump any damage she tries to inflict.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I had a similar problem with a buyer on a much less expensive saddle. She was a nut and since I also have 100% and a no refund policy, I didn't refund her and ebay was fine with it. It never went to a complaint since I did politely but firmly call her out via ebay email regarding the fact that she was making false claims. Stick to your guns. SHE can resell it!

Also always use the message link for any email that ebay has provided, don't use private email. They can track the responses that way and back you.

Good luck!

Messaged the lady saying what ebay instructed me to say. This is what I wrote back to her.

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied. However, we did list the saddle with a no return policy because it is expensive to ship. We did have the saddle checked thoroughly by a certified County Saddlery rep on June 21, 2012. The rep added flocking and watched me ride to check the movement of my horse under saddle. There have never been any comments about the integrity of this saddle, the position of the flaps or knee blocks or any defects. It is under manufacturer warranty for two years from the date it was made for defects in all materials and craftsmanship if you have any further questions. The office has copies of all of our service records and would be happy to help you in any way. County Saddlery, Inc., 16105 Frederick Rd, Lisbon, MD 21765, phone 301-854-6059, info@countysaddlery.com . The original invoice date was 7/25/2011 and invoice number was , Item #. The serial number is on the e-bay listing if you need to refer to that when talking to the county representative.

Then she wrote back...

I mentioned in the previous message and that were discovered by Superior Saddlery owner that worked for County, as well as for Albion, Kieffer, Jaguar and many more, have been listed. I have no desire to keep a defective saddle. I will pay for return shipping if that's what you want but I there is no way I am keeping this saddle.

Let me know the address or I shall be sadly forced to escalate this matter to claims.

So...I guess we are going to claims. I don't know if I will sell a saddle on ebay again.

I wish you luck. I am guessing though Ebay was nice to you now they will stand by the buyer in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I won't just let her return it. I have no idea what shape it will be in when it comes back.
    Yes. But you are still screwed. Ebay/paypal almost never decided in the sellers interest in this kind of situation. More and more people are learning that Paypal is not a good thing when it comes to selling saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    So...I guess we are going to claims. I don't know if I will sell a saddle on ebay again.
    Yes, this is a song I have been hearing more often lately.

I wonder if its actually 'defective' to the reps eyes or if they are trying to sell her one of their saddles

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    I wonder if its actually 'defective' to the reps eyes or if they are trying to sell her one of their saddles
    That is what i was thinking.....

I would not be surprised if you came home to a giant box waiting for you. She will have the confirmation of shipment and you will be S.O.L.

I wish you luck on an easy resolution.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Write her and tell her that you would prefer having the saddle looked at by a saddle fitter who is not a rep for other saddles and by one that is either a County certified fitter or not beholden either to you or her. If either the current certified County fitter or the third party saddle fitter finds the saddle defective. then you will be happy to accept it back, refund her money, and send it to County for warranty service, since her claims, if verified, mean that the County saddle that you bought new was defectively manufactured.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    Or there is no other rep and she knows she can return via the claims process.

I'm sorry and I hope it comes back in good condition. In general I think they have to do it this way (way too big to review claims individually, and forcing a return seems globally more fair than forcing people to keep defective/poorly described items), but Dilligaff notes the major loophole of this policy

I would tell her it is under warranty and she can take up her "defects" with county or sell the saddle herself. Her claims as to "defects" are general...someone is trying to sell her another saddle and she is having buyer's remorse. I doubt highly that she found any real defects.

Tell her to esculate if she wants but there are no defects in the saddle and she is free to sell it on herself.

You have to stand your ground. She's being sweet talked into a different brand. No doubt about it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I think in the end you have to decide if just taking the saddle back and eliminating the hassle (but being stuck with the saddle) is better or worse than standing your ground and making the buyer go to the trouble of discrediting the County rep who evaluated your saddle. A written affidavit from this County rep would help if it comes down to a "he said/she said" thing.
    Click here before you buy.

Default return,refunds

I am sorry to say that my experience with credit cards or pay pal is that they are on the side of the buyer. Seller pays the 2.75% fee to cc or paypal but it is buyer who wins. I had a dispute for $2,000 for transaction at Rolex and the funds were removed from my acount and product never returned. Get the merchandise back.

Ebay and paypal are driving me nuts. Honestly they almost always side with the buyer. I have had two times in the 500+ transactions and the 10 claims that they have sided with me. I wish there was a better system, but the seller usually gets screwed.

I sell convertible tops, and the buyer will tell an outright lie to get a return and money back. It is absolutely insane especially when you list everything, provide details, model #s and they still get the wrong thing and want you to pay the cost of their mistake. Ebay doesn't give two craps and neither does paypal about the buyer. I am sick and tired of it.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

My issues were on less expensive items, but I have always taken the back and refunded return shipping. Ebay usally sides with the buyer, so it is just easier and less hassle to take the item back. Sorry, I know that it must be tough to sell a big ticket item like that, and then be forced to take it back.

If she goes to a claim it will NOT make you pay for return shipping--so you will only have to refund her 1 way of shipping.

It is a very imperfect system. On the one hand, I would never buy a saddle sight unseen if I knew I couldn't get my $ back if it arrived in bad condition, or not as represented, etc. On the other, everyone knows that things are "returnable" regardless of what a seller says and they exploit that.

I still want to know what a saddle cord is.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    I still want to know what a saddle cord is.
    I do too!