The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As others have said, I think you need to figure out what you'd be able to sell him for in the UK and the cost of shipping and compare it to the cost of "replacing him". Then decide whether any difference is compensated by the fact that you like and know the horse you already have.

Also, how long will you be staying? If this anticipated to be a permanent move (which would make me more inclined to bring the horse) or a temporary one, in which case you will be faced with the same decision again in a few years.

My tb came from S. England and he has adjusted just fine. I bought him when his owner, who came over to be a working student for an UL eventer, decided she had had enough and wanted to go home. He has great feet, like your tb, BTW--I think they really bred the foot off of the American TB!

I think the climate in Charlottesville (jealous!) is probably nicer than here in the MidAtlantic, since you are in the foothills. I would definitely bring him!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Thumbs up $10k

Just to get this thing started , I would price your horse at at least $10k possibly more depending on whose barn he is in and what shows events foxhunting he could do right off the plane, i.e. out of quarantine
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Some Americans go to the UK to import horses just like the one you describe, pay good money for them, then ship them over. I would bring him. You will likely have a really hard time replacing him when you get here.

It's about the affordability...does hubby's job allow that his wife needs her horse so she can settle in happily with him? Is it for a long term job? You can buy a $2,000.00 horse here and bring it along if not. If I was in a certain bracket I'd bring him, but it would be considered a luxury.

It would hurt to leave him behind, but there are times when one has to be practical???

What are his bloodlines, for the pedigree buffs here?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I recommend searching a US horsesales sites like equine.com for what you want your ideal horse to be. If those ads get you excited and make you want to go shopping, in your price range etc then sell yours and buy here. If looking at those ads makes you think 'my horse can do that' to every ad, then keep him

In the area of the US you are talking about, most horses who are comparable to your horse (if I am reading correctly- are competing and placing at Preliminary (your novice), have good enough movement to do well in pure dressage, does well in show jumping, foxhunts, sound, not in his teens, is not a difficult or quirky ride, has no significant vices or maintenance issues, is not a hard keeper) are going to cost 30k and up. I was horse shopping in this area last fall and I saw nothing going prelim for less than $30k unless it was older than 15 or had serious issues. You might make a find for less but that would not be typical.
    So if would want to buy something comparable here, it would likely be that expensive. If you are open to talented but green, you could spend substantially less (the degree less would depend on how green and a bunch of other factors).
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Any chance you could make a trip over to visit us before your move? Then we could show you around, introduce you to the different barns, foxhunts, and countryside. I know I would love to help you.

I am currently looking for a horse with this kind of training, and I'm having a hard time finding one.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Sent you a p.m.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

It is not the same...American Thoroughbred and British Thoroughbred. There are very few American TBs that will be comparable to your TB from GB. Both conformation, basics and pedigree for sport are very inferior over here in TBs from the track. In America you basically do TB rescue, which is a noble thing to do, and if you develop contacts and have a great eye you may find a comparable replacement TB in time but you will have well over the cost of transport into the making of your next horse. It is more likely that you will find that the TB you have now is valuable enough over here that you could sell him for more money than you can afford to turn down. The training you have in your horse is becoming uncommon in the general riding horse population over here. If he is a good age and sound physically and mentally you will be surprised how much he is worth over here. PatO

This would be hard for me. I understand where your coming from. Horse shopping is such a gamble. What do you think he would go for in the UK? Here are a few for comparisons sake

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1710934

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1791868

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1823580

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1811949

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2409244.html

Just to,give you something to think about. It all depends on how much experience you have to have when you get here. Price can range.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

There are very few American TBs that will be comparable to your TB from GB. Both conformation, basics and pedigree for sport are very inferior over here in TBs from the track. In America you basically do TB rescue, which is a noble thing to do, and if you develop contacts and have a great eye you may find a comparable replacement TB in time but you will have well over the cost of transport into the making of your next horse.
    Seriously..I mean REALLY...such a total load of bullwrinkles if I ever read such dribble....Rescues all our OTTB are rescues...and Inferior...really..hmmm guess thats why their pedigrees are FULL of our Stallions...wonder why the Queen sends her mares to Lanes End Farm in KY...right because she wants inferior TB's.

The diffrences are, they run on turf most of ours DON't...UK climate and footing differ as does their hay and grass from growing seasons to mineral composition. Feed diffrent and style of training and surfaces used.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenMonkey View Post
    Thanks I did warn my husband it would be around $10,000 probably... it is a lot and that is why he is wanting to make sure we can't just buy another one. I can see his point... for all I know we could bring my horse and then he could go lame!
    I know and trust my horse though and he is a very good horse, it's taken me years to find him!
    I'd keep him and take him.

From the way you talk about him, I think you'd regret leaving him behind.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You have probably already been told about this, but understand that I believe your horse will enter the US in Newburgh, NY and will be quarantined for 3-4 days after which you will have an 8 hour transport from there to Charlottesville. With your description of your horse, worth any cost like that!
    I think I already recommended an eventing barn for you in the Charlottesville area; it's where my daughter keeps her horse.