I moved my horse to a new stable and they feed Total Equine horse feed. My horse is a 10 year old TB gelding currently out of work and is having issues with a spavin. Barn is a BN Saddlebred show barn but my horse is just pasture boarded there, no real grass but free choice hay.

This feed seems a little different, and I'm wondering if anybody has experience feeding it, or can help analyze it to make sure it's ok.

My big concern is about corn being the second ingredient (it causes inflammation which would be bad for his spavin, correct?) and the NSC level is 27% (don't know too much about this). However, the recommended amount to feed is only 4lbs total per day, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad? He's a bit of a hard keeper so I don't want him to lose weight. He's not insulin resistant (that I know of) but I don't want to pump him full of bad things either.

Since he is fed in the field, I really don't have an option of putting him on a different feed (and I have no other options to move him until summer). Just wondering if it's really that bad or should I try to make what adjustments I can.

Thanks for any advice!

TOTAL EQUINE®
A complete ration for all classes of Equine.

Guaranteed Analysis

Protein (minimum)
15.00%
Fat (minimum) 5.00%
Fiber (minimum) 20.00%
Calcium (minimum) 0.75%
Calcium (maximum) 1.25%
Phosphorus (minimum) 0.50%
Salt (minimum) 0.40%
Salt (maximum) 0.80%
Copper 20.00 ppm
Zinc 60.00 ppm
Iodine 0.50 ppm
Selenium 0.30 ppm
Vitamin A 2,000.00 IU/lb.
Vitamin D 300.00 IU/lb.
Vitamin E 30.00 IU/lb.
NSC (maximum) 27.00%

Ingredients
Alfalfa Hay, Corn, Parboiled Rice Bran, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Roughage Products (10%), Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Limestone, Diatomaceous Earth (and inert carrier and anti-caking agent), Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp Meal, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, DL-Methionine, Biotin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride. Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Supplement, D-Activated Animal Sterol, (A source of vitamin D3 activity), Ferrous Carbonate, Cobalt Carbonate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide and Folic Acid.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS

Feed Total Equine® to all Equine at the rate of 4.00 lb./1,000 lb. bodyweight/day along with free-choice hay or grass, salt and fresh, clean water.