The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default If You could design your own BREECHES, SHOW SHIRTS and HUNT COATS

Hey all,
    SO the game is ... If you were to design a shirt, hunt coat or breech what would you do??

Not make the tails soooo long, have an option to provide extra long sleeves and do something similar to what the new Ariat Triumph shirt has done. With tighter fitting coats like soft shells now, I love this shirt for using stretchy material everywhere but the front of the shirt and cuffs. It's not bulky or boxy at all, very sleek, and fits so well under coats.

Plus the cut is form-fitting without being cut for a 12-year old... :-)

Hope this helps!

Oh, and with regards to breeches I'd like to see technical fabrics without any cotton. I buy the right size (I think!?) and a few hours into the show the pants have stretched out and don't fit well, I'm constantly tugging to keep them from sagging.

Last but not least, with regards to show coats, I don't think the latest and greatest fabric matters as much as fit. I'm crazy on fit, perhaps b/c I'm so hard to fit...

I wish coats had more options without being fully custom and having to wait 8 weeks, etc. Options like taking a standard coat and adding length where you need it (sleeves or body only), having a slim cut that can be combined with extra room in the bust, etc.

More petite sizes for everything!!!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I too would like petite sizes, but REAL ones. Petite isn't merely a regular size cut shorter. The proportions change in several ways. If you take a pair of pants and simply cut them down, the shaping may be off in other areas.

Lane Bryant (and I'm sure other retailers) do pant sizes by body type so you can buy your size in your shape (straight, pear, apple...). I wish breeches were like this. I'm always reading comments in this board that follow this logic (for great in the leg but gap at the waist, tight in waist but okay everywhere else, etc). It would be very helpful, particularly if you shop via catalog or internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I too would like petite sizes, but REAL ones. Petite isn't merely a regular size cut shorter. The proportions change in several ways. If you take a pair of pants and simply cut them down, the shaping may be off in other areas.
    Very, very true...but at this point, I'd take the shorter ones! I am tired of stepping on the bottoms of my breeches! And my shirt sleeves are always too long.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Breeches with a 29 inch waist. 28 is too snug, 30 is gappy. I WANT A 29!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    Breeches with a 29 inch waist. 28 is too snug, 30 is gappy. I WANT A 29!!
    WORD. I often find myself between sizes too.

For coats, I want a "Hulk Shoulders" option.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Low rise front zip euro seat breeches with a technical stretch fabric that you can't see through, under $150 and NO VELCRO ON THE BOTTOM!!! Who in the hell thinks velcro on the bottom of the breeches is comfortable??? Why does anyone still make them this way, hint hint Tailored Sportsman, I mean come on!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I want clothes that come in tall that are actually for tall people. At 5'10" I have yet to find a shirt with arms long enough of breeches that go more than half way down my calf. The cheval shirts are at least longer in the body but the sleeves are about 3" too short. You shouldn't have to buy stuff that's way too big around in order to get length. I would also love to see a wider range of field boot sizes. Customs are expensive!!!

Built in Spanx. All the way!
    Needs to know

Quote Originally Posted by LordWentworth View Post
    I want clothes that come in tall that are actually for tall people. At 5'10" I have yet to find a shirt with arms long enough of breeches that go more than half way down my calf. The cheval shirts are at least longer in the body but the sleeves are about 3" too short. You shouldn't have to buy stuff that's way too big around in order to get length. I would also love to see a wider range of field boot sizes. Customs are expensive!!!
    YES. YES YES YES.

I'd like to see a slim cut shirt/jacket option as well as a slim or long sleeve length. I am not particularly tall or skinny at 5'4" but I have long arms and most jackets' arms are either short or baggy. Or both.

As far as pants, I second this:

"Low rise front zip euro seat breeches with a technical stretch fabric that you can't see through, under $150"

But I would like to see those pants come in slim fit and curvy fits. I personally don't have a butt or hips, but there are also plenty of girls out there with ample of both who have the opposite problem of me!

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    WORD. I often find myself between sizes too.

For coats, I want a "Hulk Shoulders" option.

I also need the Hulk Shoulders!!!

When my daughter was little, she had a show shirt with a traditional looking choker, but it was attached to the shirt collar in the back, and wrapped around with a velcro attachment on the other end.

I'd make these in all sizes, so we could have traditional looking collars without constantly worrying about losing the blasted things.

Coats and shirts that actually fit those of us "blessed" with an ample bosom! I can't tell you how many times I've tried on a coat that fits perfectly everywhere except my chest. I have to get them two sizes larger, and then tailor them.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresyoursighn View Post
    Built in Spanx. All the way!
    Try these: http://www.ovationriding.com/breeche...-breech-467848
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    Coats and shirts that actually fit those of us "blessed" with an ample bosom! I can't tell you how many times I've tried on a coat that fits perfectly everywhere except my chest. I have to get them two sizes larger, and then tailor them.
    And something to fit those of us that aren't so "blessed" but still have normal sized shoulders!

I would also like breeches that don't have a seam in the calf area. It's sad that even when I lose the weight I need to, I can't go down a size or two in my favorite brands because the calf is so narrow in the smaller sizes.