The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Horse Show Office Staff........Are they EVER friendly?

Man, oh man!! I understand that they might hate their job or the amount of people they have to deal with but.....SERIOUSLY!

For as much money as I spend at horse shows (and I show A/AA rated shows regularly) I never get a, "Welcome, we are so glad you are here, can we help you find your stalls?" when I arrive or a "Thank you so much for coming to the show, hope you had a great time" when I leave and just wrote a really fat check!

Every time I go in the office its, "What do you want?" in a rude, unfriendly manner. OR, they barely even acknowledge I am even inside of the office.

I just get so fed up with it!!! Happens at almost every show I attend! I am always friendly and pleasant to them. I thank them for their help and I appreciate the fact that they work long hours.

Anybody else experience this at shows you attend???

Oh Yes.
    I used to work in a show office for years, and I truly understand office staff's contempt for exhibitors. HOWEVER, in their defense, they are not trained in customer service and so aren't able to grin and bear it.

Although you're the customer, many show managers fail to realize that the tone in the office is often the first impression of the show that many exhibitors have. Since show managers usually don't have a background in customer service either, a welcoming, helpful and pleasant attitude is not a priority.

I agree with you 100% that it needs to be improved...people are paying too much money to be treated poorly. It's hard to name another business that could survive with such inadequate customer service.

JMHO
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Are they EVER nice? NOPE.....Nor do they have to be....ya'll keep going back!!!

Same goes for additional INVENTED fees for the show (grounds fee, trailer fee, ambulance fee, office fee and so on)...they'll NEVER stop or go away...Why? Ya'll keep going back!!!

YES! We have the "Happy Horse Show Office" in Zone 2 (NJ specifically). They are the best!

Several years ago a couple of my instructor's students and myself were recruited to work a HJ show - we knew NOTHING about it but we had a blast and enjoyed ourselves and the people. I have since learned that we must have been an anomaly . In the subsequent years I've worked at that same show and while I don't talk to people too much (announcer at the dressage ring) I love talking to people and they are always nice.

Was at a small schooling show a couple weeks ago and my daughter stood at the window for 10 minutes and no one acknowledged her and she was too shy to speak up. I walked up and just hollered into the window and they looked up like they had no clue people would be there. It was weird....but, yeah, they aren't trained in customer service so I didn't say anything. But if I were running a show I'd tell them to be nice or don't volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Oh Yes.
    I used to work in a show office for years, and I truly understand office staff's contempt for exhibitors. HOWEVER, in their defense, they are not trained in customer service and so aren't able to grin and bear it.
    No excuse that they aren't "trained" in customer service. Why the heck aren't they or else hire people that are??!! This bugs the crap out of me. Why do show managers hire people and have them represent their business when they treat the paying customers so badly? What incredible special skills do they have that make them so valuable that they don't have to be "trained in customer service"?!

For crying out loud, what do they do...work at a computer with show software, hand out numbers and fill in checks. Geez that's really tough stuff! And what is it about this job compared to other jobs dealing with the public that is SO hard and stressful apparently that it's excusable that they treat people like total crap?

It's infuriating, and yes it's like this at most of the shows we attend. You feel like you've been treated well if you are simply ignored vs shown outright contempt

Oh, except they can somehow manage to crack a smile if Mr BNT from the Olympic Team or some cute young guy comes in, then they are all sweetness and light. Amazing how that works

Quote Originally Posted by alterchicken View Post
    No excuse that they aren't "trained" in customer service. Why the heck aren't they or else hire people that are??!! This bugs the crap out of me. Why do show managers hire people and have them represent their business when they treat the paying customers so badly?
    Because they don't have to hire people with good customer service skills. It's not a priority.

I'm not saying it's right ! It' just the way it is, right now.

In San Diego, the shows with the best management reputation are run by people who have a strong background in retail: Kim Keenan Stordahl (Dressage Affaire) and Lance Bennett/Scott Hickey (So. Cal. Horseman's Council).

People flock to their shows because they're treated well. It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by Mardi; May. 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Every time I have to go to the office for something I make a point to smile, say hello, ask how they are doing, and tell them to have a good day each time. I generally do not have a problem with them being rude and I also show the A/AA regularly. Depends on the day and who it is I guess.

Wow I guess I got lucky. In my area most of the local C shows were run by the same woman in the horse show office, who was always nice, friendly, and very helpful.

I've also mostly been happy with the friendliness of the show office staff at the Zone 3 shows, also most of the Zone 2 shows. I've had folk go out of their way to help, for instance at Devon when my horse ate one of her ribbons hanging outside the stall! I was able to trade for a nice new ribbon! Seldom have I found show staff to be rude; rushed, yes, at times!

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Yes. While I've dealt with some grumps over the years, the majority are friendly and helpful. Greet me by name. Ask what they can do. Offer me candy. Have AC in the summer. What more could you want? Maybe there's a reason I'm often the barn member that's sent to the office?
    The Evil Chem Prof

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Y'all need to come hang out with us in Maryland. Bev Abbott is the best.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Y'all need to come hang out with us in Maryland. Bev Abbott is the best.
    Bev is great!. The staff at the Lexington, Va, Keswick and Vermont Summer Festival shows are wonderful. So nice, professional and efficient!

As an exhibitor let me say that "a little goes a long way"... I have rarely been treated poorly when I start with a smile and am polite. The ladies in the office have a very difficult job and when you are nice to them the majority are very kind to you!
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation and Fitness in the Wine Country

Always friendly at Showplace Productions in Chicago!!! None of my customers have ever had a problem, and they are always kind to me and I'm an itty bitty fish :P
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

got to argue with the op's statment as I have dealt with quite a few friendly office staffs. They have a difficult and often times frustrating job to do that is also under pressure. You have all seen that youtube video? Kind of explains why they may be in a bad mood!
    All of us could help improve things if we have all our paper work in order as best we can, know what we want to add or change, have the correct monies, and a pleasant attitude ourselves.

It's been twelve years since I've shown in NJ, but I loved Cookie's crew! When she is grouchy, you just have to make her laugh and go with the flow.

I also found the people at PB/WEF/Lake Placid to be fabulous.

The "other" big circuit in NY/FL/VA - not so. Not at all, AAMOF. If I ever have to show in the US again, that series is one I will never again attend.

I agree with copper1 above that all of us exhibitors could be helpful if we had everything in order first.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Never met an office staff I didn't like. Go in with your paperwork in order, a smile on your face, and don't get frustrated if you have to wait. Everyone who thinks their job is easy should have to spend a week doing that job - there's nothing easy about it.

I don't show H/J (mostly J) very often, but I have only had good experience with the office staff at HITS (Culpeper), Warenton, and Upperville.

In fact, one year, HITS gave my sister a full refund (for a scratched horse) when, according to their own rules, they only owed her a small partial refund.

I think a lot of it has to do with your OWN attitude.

I never get a, "Welcome, we are so glad you are here, can we help you find your stalls?" when I arrive or a "Thank you so much for coming to the show, hope you had a great time" when I leave and just wrote a really fat check!
    Do YOU GIVE a "Glad to see you, how are things going?" when you see them, or "Thanks for your help. I had a great time." when you leave?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I don't show H/J (mostly J) very often, but I have only had good experience with the office staff at HITS (Culpeper), Warenton, and Upperville.

In fact, one year, HITS gave my sister a full refund (for a scratched horse) when, according to their own rules, they only owed her a small partial refund.

I think a lot of it has to do with your OWN attitude.

Do YOU GIVE a "Glad to see you, how are things going?" when you see them, or "Thanks for your help. I had a great time." when you leave?

Yes, always!! I am always friendly with them hoping it will rub off! Please re-read my post again where it says, "I thank them for their help and appreciate the fact that they work long hours."

My paperwork and all the classes I am showing in are mailed in a couple of weeks before the show, so no sitting around having to fill out that stuff. Just have to collect my number/find stalls when I get there and then close out my check when I leave.