The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2012
    Posts
    10

    Unhappy Bridle turned black... :(

    Hello everyone! I moved down to southwest Florida this summer from the midwest and brought my tack down around the beginning of August to my friends barn where I've been riding. I have a really nice Pessoa figure 8 that's a medium oak color. I went off to school and wasn't able to go out much to the barn and my tack was being kept in their tack room which is insulated but not really climate controlled. Last time I was out there after being gone for about 3 weeks, I noticed my bridle which was hanging on the bridle rack under the window was COVERED in mold and has also turned black at the crown and the bottom half of my cheek straps. It was the only bridle that seemed to be this way, but it's also the nicest leather out there. I realized that the window above it was cracked open about two inches directly above where my bridle hangs and being south florida, it's been raining a LOT. I think rain may have leaked in and soaked it. I've taken it home now and am going to do a really good cleaning on it this weekend but I'm really heartbroken over the color change...is this going to be permanent or is there anything I can do to make it go back to normal, or at least not be black? My beautiful, expensive bridle is now two-toned Sorry this is so long!



  2. #2

    Default

    Once leather gets dark, you cannot undo it unfortunately. Sorry about your bridle.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Was it being kept in the main tack room where everyone else's tack was also hagining right next to it? If so, I have to say, I'd probably be a bit miffed that everyone had sat there watching my expensive bridle get covered in mold without doing anything! I mean really, if I walked into the tackroom, and saw that someone's show bridle was starting to grow mold (nevermind being covered in it), I would immediately call the person, or, if I didn't know who owned it, would let the BO know so they could contact the owner to prevent the bridle from being ruined - that's just common courtesy. For the future, you could invest in a bridle bag, and maybe just try to cut your losses and darken the rest of the bridle to hide the mold stains.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGSponymom View Post
    For the future, you could invest in a bridle bag, and maybe just try to cut your losses and darken the rest of the bridle to hide the mold stains.
    I was going to suggest darkening the bridle as well. For the bridle bag, I think that might depend on your weather. I left my hunter/schooling bridle in a bridle bag and wasn't out for about two months in the summer, and it was covered in mold when I got out again.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Honestly I am pretty annoyed that nobody noticed it. The tack room is a bit crowded though so I guess I could see how it might get missed. I am angry though that someone would leave the window open for so long knowing that there are peoples bridles hanging underneath it. I would dye the rest except it would have to be literally black and my saddle is the exact same color as the leather was originally. I think i'm just going to hope that it's not too noticeable... I plan on getting a bridle bag but that's going to have to wait until i'm not completely broke



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2008
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Carry it back and forth to barn in a bridle bag...I would not leave it there.It's probably permanently darkened.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    13,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cieranangelea View Post
    I am angry though that someone would leave the window open for so long knowing that there are peoples bridles hanging underneath it.
    You are angry about something you are assuming.
    You admit you were not there so you do not know the window was left open that whole time and your bridle was allowed to be rained on.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,897

    Default

    If you use a bridle bag, put some of those Damp Rid packets (the small ones) inside to absorb any dampness or moisuture and prevent mold.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Even my friend who's family owns the barn admitted that it was almost certainly the window and rain that caused it. There's really no other way we could figure out that would cause it to change that extensively especially considering my bridle was directly below where it was opened and it's the ONLY one that has damage like that.
    My bridle is no longer out there. All my nice tack is now staying at home and commuting with me. When I can afford it i'm going to buy a bridle bag and some damp-rid packets, that's a helpful idea.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,897

    Default

    You can get nice bridle bags on sale at Dover for $10, I have several. And the Damp Rid packets cost almost nothing.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Oh really?! I'll check that out then!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You are angry about something you are assuming.
    You admit you were not there so you do not know the window was left open that whole time and your bridle was allowed to be rained on.

    She's not really assuming, since she can see the evidence of it. I'd be angry, too - her tack was ruined.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGSponymom View Post
    She's not really assuming, since she can see the evidence of it. I'd be angry, too - her tack was ruined.
    I might be annoyed, but not angry. It isn't someone else's responsibility to make sure her tack is staying in pristine condition. Perhaps it was missed, or perhaps someone noticed it and decided not to get involved. Would it have been nice to get a head's up? Sure. But I certainly wouldn't feel entitled to be angry that someone hadn't told me.

    Personally I'd be more miffed that the girl whose family owned the farm was aware of it and didn't do anything about it considering A) she's the OP's friend, and B) she/her family are the BOs and that's something I would hope my BO might tell me. But again - miffed, not angry. It'd be my own fault.

    In any case, I hope the OP's bridle recovers as well as possible.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    17,375

    Default

    It's my responsibility to check on other people's tack, notice they're absentee, and either move their tack w/o permission or track them down and tell them. Just because I am a boarder? Really? How am I to know the OP is away and/or is unaware of the situation. A boarder in my barn has some mold crap in her locker and she knows full well and apparently doesn't care. I'm not a mind reader nor do I follow the cleaning habits and schedules of my fellow boarders. It's not my job to police how they care for their tack.

    What if someone moved the bridle, cleaned and oiled it as a favor to the OP?! Then the OP would be bitching that someone darkened her bridle with oil and touched it without her permission. What if I took it to clean it and accidentally ruined it by cleaning it? Why should I dirty my sponges (once you clean mold, you have to throw away whatever you used) cleaning up after the OP's mess?!

    Your stuff, your responsibility. You knew the tack room wasn't climate controlled and you live in the land of humid. Don't leave your nice tack abandoned at the barn for weeks. Either go check on it/clean it or take it home. Mold can creep up in DAYS in Florida, even if no one opens the window. Don't expect everyone else to take care of your stuff. If you care about it, take care of it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's my responsibility to check on other people's tack, notice they're absentee, and either move their tack w/o permission or track them down and tell them. Just because I am a boarder? Really? How am I to know the OP is away and/or is unaware of the situation. A boarder in my barn has some mold crap in her locker and she knows full well and apparently doesn't care. I'm not a mind reader nor do I follow the cleaning habits and schedules of my fellow boarders. It's not my job to police how they care for their tack.

    What if someone moved the bridle, cleaned and oiled it as a favor to the OP?! Then the OP would be bitching that someone darkened her bridle with oil and touched it without her permission. What if I took it to clean it and accidentally ruined it by cleaning it? Why should I dirty my sponges (once you clean mold, you have to throw away whatever you used) cleaning up after the OP's mess?!

    Your stuff, your responsibility. You knew the tack room wasn't climate controlled and you live in the land of humid. Don't leave your nice tack abandoned at the barn for weeks. Either go check on it/clean it or take it home. Mold can creep up in DAYS in Florida, even if no one opens the window. Don't expect everyone else to take care of your stuff. If you care about it, take care of it.
    Yeah, the decent thing to do if you notice someone's tack is getting covered in mold would be to notify said person. It's not your responsibility, but it's something I would hope most people would do - do unto others as you would have done to you (I'm not religious, but this is generally a good rule of thumb). If it was missed it was missed. She said it's crowded, so maybe that was the case, but if it were plainly obvious to other people on a daily basis, it would have been nice if someone had called her, especially since she's friends with and knows the BO personally. She just recently moved to Florida, so she's not used to the humid climate, and probably wasn't aware tack would mold so quickly/easily there - she didn't abandon it for months, she said a couple of weeks, and she's not the one who left the window open.

    I just meant I'd be irritated, as one naturally would be if his/her tack got ruined because a window directly above it had been left open allowing moisture to get into it and cause mold, so I don't blame OP for feeling this way.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2010
    Location
    Where they've got all Hell for a basement
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    I think the OP has the right to be a little angry. It's not like she's demanding that someone pay for a replacement bridle...she's sucking it up and doing what she can to salvage it. Heck, be angry if you want to. That's what COTH's for...venting here so you don't accidentally blow up on someone in real life when they might not deserve it!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    17,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGSponymom View Post
    Yeah, the decent thing to do if you notice someone's tack is getting covered in mold would be to notify said person. It's not your responsibility, but it's something I would hope most people would do - do unto others as you would have done to you (I'm not religious, but this is generally a good rule of thumb). If it was missed it was missed. She said it's crowded, so maybe that was the case, but if it were plainly obvious to other people on a daily basis, it would have been nice if someone had called her, especially since she's friends with and knows the BO personally. She just recently moved to Florida, so she's not used to the humid climate, and probably wasn't aware tack would mold so quickly/easily there - she didn't abandon it for months, she said a couple of weeks, and she's not the one who left the window open.

    I just meant I'd be irritated, as one naturally would be if his/her tack got ruined because a window directly above it had been left open allowing moisture to get into it and cause mold, so I don't blame OP for feeling this way.
    She said she was gone for 3 weeks (and it sounds like she was very intermittent even before that), how were the other boarders supposed to tell the OP her tack was modly? It's their job to track down the (clearly at least a little absentee) management and get her contact information?! Did she tell them all she was going on vacation and leave a contact number? What makes you think her banrmates have her phone number? I don't have phone numbers for all my barnmates, let alone the more absentee ones.

    Do I need to tell my barnmate she has a moldy bridle hanging in her locker? She does. Right now. She goes in there every day and clearly doesn't care. But it's my job to tell her? If I don't see her for a while, I need to track her down and tell her she's got moldy stuff in her locker? Should I take it and clean it for her? Putting mold spores into the air and ruining my spones and rags? Because she's too lazy to clean her stuff?

    None of the juniors at my barn clean their tack regularly. Am I supposed to go clean it for them? Using my oil/soap that I buy? Should I take home other people's saddle pads and wash them too? Clean their cars?

    I'd be LIVID if I discovered someone else took and cleaned my stuff. I have my own method of cleaning tack and I wouldn't appreciate someone else putting who knows what on my bridles. Nor would I be mad at anyone other than myself if I left a bridle out and it got moldy. But then again, I wouldn't leave leather totally abandoned in a non-climate controlled place for weeks. It's no one else's job to clean up after me!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I didn't say anyone should clean it for her, that would be inappropriate. I don't think it would really be THAT much effort or time out of anyone's day to leave a note for the BO if they notice an expensive bridle starting to become moldy under an open window. I mean really. I'm just so sick of this 'not my problem' mentality these days. Yes, her tack is ultimately her responsibility (as it should be), but how about being considerate? She left it on a bridle hook inside of a tack room, not in a heap on the floor - you're comparing her situation to those of people who mistreat their tack, and that isn't the case here.

    ETA - you're right in one respect though, she shouldn't EXPECT other people to notify her, it's not their responsibility, so I shouldn't have said that. I'm just appalled that no one did (unless it wasn't plainly visible). I still don't blame her for being angry about the window being left open, however.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    17,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGSponymom View Post
    I didn't say anyone should clean it for her, that would be inappropriate. I don't think it would really be THAT much effort or time out of anyone's day to leave a note for the BO if they notice an expensive bridle starting to become moldy under an open window. I mean really. I'm just so sick of this 'not my problem' mentality these days. Yes, her tack is ultimately her responsibility (as it should be), but how about being considerate? She left it on a bridle hook inside of a tack room, not in a heap on the floor - you're comparing her situation to those of people who mistreat their tack, and that isn't the case here.
    I personally don't bother with other people's stuff. I don't pick up bridles to look at the name place to figure out whose is whose. It's none of my business. I don't keep track of whose tack is clean or dirty or otherwise. I don't appreciate people messing with my stuff.

    If the argument is that the barn manager should have noticed/intervened-- I think that's a little difference. But as a boarder, it's not my job to deal with other boarder's tack and if I don't have someone's phone number handy I'm not about to go track it down because someone else left their tack out.

    And, as mentioned, some people don't care. My barnmate clearly doesn't. Why should I get concerned over someone else's tack when they can't care enough to take care of it?!

    The flip side of the "not my problem attitude" is the "entitlement attitude"-- everyone else should do for me. Be attentive to my tack. Take care of my stuff that I couldn't be bothered with. I do not allow my "beautiful, expensive" things to sit out for weeks in a non-climate controlled tack room. If I did, my fault for being careless with my stuff. Hung on a hook or not. Mold's not exactly an unexpected consequence of humidity and leather. You don't leave stuff exposed for weeks and weeks and act surprised when it has mold.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I was mainly thinking that her friend, whose family owns the barn and who (presumably) was aware of her school situation and the fact that she couldn't be there all the time could have told her, if it's something anyone would be able to obviously see when walking into the tack room - not just random boarders. Although personally, if I saw a nice bridle growing mold, even if I didn't know who it belonged to, I would make sure to let the BO or trainer know so that the owner of said bridle could be made aware. I'm not a fan of the entitled attitude, either, but I see entirely too much of both sides, these days, and either way, it's not a pretty sight.



Similar Threads

  1. HDR Pro Stress Bridle in Black?
    By Eventcrazy in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
  2. Black Hunt Bridle--where to buy
    By ISR in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
  3. Black bridle with brown padding????
    By JillCozza in forum Eventing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Mar. 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
  5. Looking for black bridle
    By GotGait in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 30, 2009, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •