The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sales/Demo. Video Pet Peeve!

Please, everyone, next time you put up something you either want to sell, or offer as instruction, on YouTube:

I IMPLORE you, PLEASE not to over-dub the video with music; especially loud, jangly pop music. Here's why:

The astute buyer in watching the horse's way of going is hoping to see evenness, regularity, and rhythm. This is helped by being able to hear that the horse's footfalls on the ground are regular and even. In other words, if what you're hearing is 1-2-clunk-4 or 1-whhf instead of 1-2, or 1-2-3 1/2 for canter, the horse is OFF and this is something we REALLY need to know before driving 500 miles out to see it! Songs by Beyonce or Train on high volume make you wonder what's being covered up; almost as bad as 4 polo wraps!

By the same token, why distract people from the horse itself on either a sales or an instructional video? I'm not talking here about the tailored-to-the-horse musical kur; I'm talking about the typical overdub that has nothing to do with the horse himself; I find they actively detract from the horse.

Please keep in mind!

Most of the time the music doesn't fit the horse or the situation very well anyway. Rock music with a heavy beat is huge distraction. Slow sentimental ballads are cheesy.

I don't think people are necessarily trying to cover anything up though. I think it's just a poor choice of music.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I often will not watch a video with music. I want to hear the horse go around! Makes me NUTS!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Usually the music is too cover up background noise. For example, outdoor videos often have screeching wind. Or, sometimes the videographer don't know how to shut up and talk the whole video. As for the crappy music choices, youtube doesn't offer very good choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

And......PLEASE ... find the zoom button and USE IT

I just watched yet another little dot going 'round and 'round in circles about 200yds away. The video was 5 min. long, and I kept thinking "surely, they'll eventually ride over to their videographer friend". But no, they never did. This horse was advertised as having FEI dressage level potential. Really, who could tell?!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I never thought of this as being a concern when I sold my gelding! This is definitely something I have to keep in mind. I HAD to use the music to coverup the background chatter and me talking loudly (yelling....) at the rider to make sure to do xyz, transitions, circles.... I basically had to guide her through the ride- I think she has ADD and I swear she would forget things even though I reminded her constantly! She was a good rider though... And the video we took was not initially intended to be a sales video, it was a compilation of him working so we could keep track of his progress. Next video will betaken with this input in mind!

Yep, had to get rid of the even more distracting background noise. I figure anyone that doesn't like it, can put their computer volume on mute - that is what I do when I don't like the music on a horse video.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I agree that music is distracting, and hearing foot fall is useful.

If you are selling an eventer, hunter or jumper that is at a certain level, show it jumping a course at that height, preferably at a show.

Nobody needs five minutes of video to evaluate the trot. Show all the gaits. A halt would be nice, too.

What Toadie's mom said about the zoom button goes double for still photos.
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

My Peeps!!
    And all this time I thought I was just an old fuddy duddy. I HATE all that idiotic music being played in videos unless of course musical freestyle. Especially rap. Good God. I want to see and hear the horse without all that loud distracting nonsensical music.

So, I turn it off. And please by all means find the damn zoom button, ok? I don't want to have to put my computer on 400, wear my cheaters and use a magnifier in an effort to see your dang horse.

I honestly thought I was the only one that found all this annoying,

Not a fan of videos with music but I understand why it is there. I most certainly doubt 99% of the people put music on their videos in an attempt to hide lameness. I actually never even imagined that listening to foot falls on a sales video was an option. I think that would take much better recording equipment than most people have.

What is wrong with four polo wraps? (I do not use polo wraps myself but I am confused what is so offensive about using four.)

Ah, yes.. the distracting music rant. I'm going to start a new thread so as not to hijack, but there's other pet peeves about vids made with the purpose to evaluate a horse, and what's required.

A few months ago I put together a video for a little guy a friend was trying to lease out. I took 6 videos that day and ended up splicing things together..including photos. His name was James Bond...so I put the 007 theme song as a back ground music considering I had to splice the video and pictures together anyway.

I wasnt trying to be sneaky or hide anything. I just knew that hearing my voice talk about random things in no order was going to be way more annoying then listening to music.
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

When I did Maggie's videos last winter the only pretty day was a blowy one! the wind on the microphone was awful. I didn't cover it with music, but sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

Yup - I hate distracting music on sales videos too. Which is why I mute my computer when watching them

Jus' sayin'...no need to get your panties in a wad over other people's poor music tastes.

Even without music, I don't think I've ever heard a sales video where the footfalls were clearly audible. Agree it would be helpful if they were, but probably too technologically advanced for most folks (myself included!).
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Default I once almost flew to England to see a horse because of the music

on the video!

I watched it over and over again and thought the horse was so special.
    Then I finally muted it and realized i just REALLY liked the song, lol!!

If the music is tastefully done, I tend to like it on a sales video.

I've heard a few where there was music AND the original background noises from the video. That seems ok, you can still stuff in the video, but it's not just some boring soundless video.

I had a friend help video when I was trying to rehome a pony. When she watched it, she was horrified because she said she sounded like Darth Vader in the background. But I didn't use any music
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Just turn the volume down, or off.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I can trun off distracting music.
    Can't always get past videos with 1,001 cuts. Or verrrry slow artistic fades. Or they have found the zoom button so I end up watching a bobbing torso with no view of the feet! And finally, the ever-popular seasick camera swaying and wavering...