The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want to put my head through a wall...

Guess whose baaaacccckkk??

Yes. Princess Loompa. Now complete with miniture version AND a new pooch who runs free as the wind. I was coming home from the barn this morning and noticed a new canine face.

This new dog looks a bit like a Portuguese Water Dog (that I could find via Google) but not quite as fluffy, more of a wiry coat (German WireHaired Pointer maybe??). The size and build are very similar. From what I've read they need a lot of exercise, which I know won't happen. Is anybody familiar with these breeds? Can I expect it to be prone to going rouge like the last beast?

I walked next door and asked what was going on and was informed that the landlord knows what's going on, that the dog/loompa was there and she had nowhere to go with their grandbaby. I don't know why she got another dog after the devil poodle fiasco.

Dog seems friendly enough, and I've asked them to keep the new dog on a run. I really, really don't need another episode like that with the devil poodle. Dixie will only be going out to potty supervised and walks on a leash.

*sigh* Why?! *headdesk* WHY?!

Thanks for 'listening' to me moan.
    Last edited by Superminion; Oct. 2, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. Sorry to hear this...she sounded like a real beauty from the last saga.

I would check with the landlord anyway. If nothing else to make sure they know there are two more residents of the property, and to make sure the dog is legal. And I bet puppykins goes out on a leash maybe two or three times max. Then it'll be running loose all of the time. And yes, Portuguese Water Dogs, and GSP's are high energy; at least the one's I've known are.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I would call the ACO the first and each and every time you see the dog loose. If she managed to raise a poodle so that it had a bad temper, then I wouldn't have much hope for her raising a high drive dog such as a PWD/GSP/GWP to be a good citizen. Is your health insurance company going after them for payment of the medical bills the last incident caused?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh brother. Not again. I do love "Princess Loompa."
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oh dear.... yep, call the manager of the property and just double check that he knows of oompa, baby oomp (orange as well??), and the new dog. She very well may be bluffing on the owner knowing. Start a journal of your interactions, and I'd include the temperament of the dog from the beginning even if its ok (good to know if/when it starts to change). And call and complain every time that dog is off leash.
    That just sucks. Sorry. (Can't believe she got another dog! Why?!)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I must say the stories from the last go around were pretty entertaining. But that can't be fun for you to deal with!

Good luck!

P.

Eegads.. further proof that You Can't Fix Stupid.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yep, def call all those involved (parents of Oompa, if you still have their contact info, landlord, animal control, santa claus, EVERYONE) and let them know about the dog running loose, and that she's there with the Mini Oompa. If their insurance is covering your medical bills, ya might want to let the insurance company know what's going on as well. They will not look too kindly on this because of what happened last time - esp since she is already letting the dog run loose.

I agree about calling animal control every.single.time the dog is not leashed, esp given this one's history of not giving a rat's ass about the rules.

Gawd, some people are so stupid and annoying ...

Thanks everybody.

DH called the landlord this morning, and the story is that her parents booted her orange rear out of the house. CPS told her that they were going to take custody of the baby (which, IMO, they should have anyways...) if she didn't have a place to live. Our neighbors took her in so they didn't lose contact with their grandbaby. Loompa threw a fit when they told her that they couldn't have the dog, so they agreed that it could stay for a 'short while'.

I'm debating if I want to do some basic manners with this dog myself. Teach leave-it and sit (or maybe something more effective?) when it wanders onto our side of the lawn, which it inevitably will, I'm sure. Those are fairly easy, and maybe having some control over it will help to keep the peace (at least with our dog) until we move in Feb.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    I must say the stories from the last go around were pretty entertaining.
    Yes, they were. And here we are starting Chapter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Thanks everybody.

DH called the landlord this morning, and the story is that her parents booted her orange rear out of the house. CPS told her that they were going to take custody of the baby (which, IMO, they should have anyways...) if she didn't have a place to live. Our neighbors took her in so they didn't lose contact with their grandbaby. Loompa threw a fit when they told her that they couldn't have the dog, so they agreed that it could stay for a 'short while'.

Wait a minute, do I understand correctly that it was OK for them to have the baby (due to no-where to live) but NOT OK to not have the dog??? (ETA to add, I mean ok with Princess Loompa)

I think your neighbors need a quick visit to 'Enablers Anon' because they are setting the course of the entire rest of their lives ... giving in to PL as she blackmails their emotions about baby loompa.

In my state, CPS prefers to send kids to relatives, perhaps mention they could have custody without PL if they play their cards right?
    Last edited by Chester's Mom; Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: to clarify.....
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Is she still smoking now that Baby Loompa has actually arrived on the scene?

The grandparents that took her in - are they HER grandparents or the babydaddy's grandparents? (I can't remember all of the details from this soap opera).

I wouldn't have anything to do with the dog. It's not your dog, and interacting with it will end up with the dog parking on your yard permanently for the attention. And I would ask the landlord about the time limit on the dog staying there, and I wouldn't be surprised that even though Princess will never pay rent, that because the landlord let her stay that she's now a legal tenant and they would have to evict her to get rid of her and the dog. Bet baby, Princess and dog or dogs will be living there after you move out.

My understanding was that she was upset at the prospect of having to leave her dog behind, so our landlord okayed the dog for a short period of time to...idk. They already have two labs.

I'm not sure as to the smoking business. They all smoke over there, so I would venture to say yes.

My guess, as to the custody bits, is that it is questionable as to if babydaddy is ACTUALLY the babydaddy, but our neighbors (whom are the babydaddy's parents) are afraid that HER parents will put the baby in the system, since they already turned them out on the street. I have no experience in these sorts of things.

Does anybody have an opinion on if giving the new dog a lesson in manners would be a good idea or just cause more trouble? I'd like to keep some semblance of control over the thing, just in case.

Are you planning to teach it manners when it wanders over to your side? To me, that would be making it seem you're OK with it loose.
    I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

And who gets to keep a dog "for a little while"? That makes no sense. Like she's going to keep it for a bit then give it away or something? Makes no sense at all.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

No lessons in manners. As NJR says, it will make the dog think that trespassing is OK. If you encourage the dog in any way it will come back constantly. I would call AC every single time the dog is off leash and at large.

I would have nothing to do with the dog. I'd also start looking for a new abode. You know the girl caused trouble the last time she was around. Your landlord also knows that the girl was a problem. Moreover, her inability manage her dog resulted in injury to one of his other tenants. Yet, he is allowing her to become a tenant again, and he is allowing her to have another dog. Why is he catering to the bad tenants at risk to his good tenants?

I would teach the dog to jump into your car. Then I would drive it to the local shelter and turn it in as a stray. If it has tags, it will merely be an inconvenience. If it isn't, if they don't look for it, your problems are solved, and the dog might be adopted by someone who cares. Even euthanasia is better than being left loose to be hit by a car, or living without love and guidance.

I'd also keep CPS on speed dial. Just to let them know where the baby is, and how they might want to keep drug testing Princess Loompa.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Y'all make a very good point. Nothing says come on over to play and possibly kill my cat like free cookies. AC is on speed dial.

I wish that moving where a possibility. We are leaving here mid-Feb. I talked to DH about calling CPS and letting them know of the situation, and he thought that it would be best to just stay out of it, unless we see something really terrible. My argument is that I don't want to let it get to that point. The units are fairly small, about 900-1,000 sq ft with three bedrooms and they now have 5 people, a small child, and three large dogs living there. It's gotta be congested.

The labs are total love bugs, although the younger one isn't even a year yet IIRC. My fear is that the younger dog and the new dog will get romping around and she'll have the baby on the floor. Or they won't be very tolerant when baby starts crawling around. I know DD's favorite thing to do right now is grab onto handfuls of any animal she can get her chubby little paws on and YANK as hard as she can. Now that she's crawling she can actually chase them down too. Our pets are wonderful and not too snappish, but not all of them are.

I'm sure CPS has a handle on the drugs situation, and hopefully the living situation, but not everybody can understand about dogs. They see a friendly lab and think it's all fine. Until baby grabs a handful of the dog's ear or eye or fur and dog bites baby because it hurts. Can you call and remain unnamed to CPS?

I'm not sure why our landlord is doing what he's doing. Maybe he's doing it for the sake of the baby? I don't know. I called him and we had a long chat and he just kept repeating, the dog will only be here for a short time. I agree with those who said, what is going to do with the dog then? Rehome him? If she refused to move in without the dog, I'm hard pressed to assume that she'll rehome him quickly.

It just makes me so mad, because it's such a crappy situation for all the people (and animals) involved who don't have a say! I hate knowing that the dog might meet the same fate as the Devil Poodle, just because he has a terrible owner. I also hate knowning that this baby seemingly doesn't have a snowball's chance in h*ll of having a normal life, unless somebody takes him (her?) away.