The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Local Show circuits

What are the bes local show circuits in the south east Pennsylvania area? Are there any rated shows that have non-rated divisions around there? Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by ChocolateHooves; Oct. 2, 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Bump

There are several options for local circuits in the area.

Most of the rated dates are taken by Worcester or Wyndsor, or Swan Lake to the west, or McDonogh to the southwest. Depending on the show, they may offer "opportunity" or other non-rated divisions.

The largest non-rated show circuit is CCHSA (www.chestercountyhorseshowassociation.com), with dates almost every weekend year round at locations throughout Chester County.

A smaller schooling show circuit is the Triangle Series (www.triangleshowseries.com) with dates from March through November at a variety of barns in southeastern Pennsyvania and northern Maryland.

There are also individual barns who run schooling series-- they tend to be 4 or 5 show series, once a month during heavy show season.

I have been showing CCHSA shows since I was about 8, fantastic circuit, well run, reliable judging quality. Some of the smaller shows are great to get greenies out to and the larger ones like give you an "A" show experience on a smaller budget. I can't say enough good things

Great prizes in the divisions (cups, saddle pads, plates, etc.) at each show, year end awards, year end Medal/Eq Finals, competetive divisons.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, maybe I will even see you there!

SEPA's a pretty big area. If you're in Chester County, CCHSA is going to be your biggest and best bet. If you're in Bucks County, that might be too remote. Where does your trainer/barn go? There are lots of great choices. And some nice options over the bridge too!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

There is AHS in Bucks and Mongtomery counties:

http://associatedhorseshows.com/index.htm

Define "best." What is it that you are really looking to get out of the horse show? Are you looking for the highest level of competition you can find at the locals, the best footing, the most efficiently run show, best prizes, most unrated classes, best combo of classes/prizes/affordability? There are a lot of variables. And how far are you willing to travel? An hour? Less? A little more?

I'm an ammie jumper, my kids ride in SS and Pre-children's, and I personally like the shows they have at the Ridge at Riverview in Asbury, NJ. The footing is great, they have a jump field, the prizes are great, the courses are well designed, and they certainly make you feel welcome and like your patronage is appreciated (I've seen Nona Garson drive up to trailers on her scooter to ask people if they were having fun or needed anything AND I got a thank you note from them for attending their Summer Spectacular--when was the last time that happened???)

To top if off, the food is usually really good.

It's probably an hour outside Philly.

Don't know if that helps. Good luck in your search.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Swan Lake runs both rated and unrated shows. Great facility, jumps and footing. In the past their customer service was a bit lacking but they have really upped their game in the last year or two. In South Central PA it is a great asset if a bit pricey.