The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hackney Lovers! Check out this little guy

I don't know anything about Hackney Ponies but this little guy is quite a mover. For $200 how can you lose? See the bottom pic, he's the 2nd horse.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grq/3311548948.html

Disclaimer - I have no interest in this horse and am not posting it in an effort to advertise. I have no knowledge of this horse or seller, just thought it a cool ad for a cool pony.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Hackney Ponies are alot of fun.

Oh dear, I'm looking for a potential driving pony. And since I'm on the east side, Othello is close. Might have to call on this guy tonight.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Love that picture of his trot! He'll take a lot of work, but you'll have a spectacular pony when you're done.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

He's really cute! What a little mover too

I hope someone gets him.

On a barely related note: someone asked the rescue last night if we could take in some Hack-me ponies. (We are going to see if we can squeeze up some room ).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I found that fantastic little Hackney pony stallion down in South Georgia the owner was selling for $250 or something like that (and the stallion had a show record.) Alas, I couldn't get the owner to return phone calls or e-mails or I would have LOVED to have a little "Miata" in the pony driving world.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I've got my application filled out and will mail it tonight. Strange that they advertised in Seattle and not around here. I hope that doesn't mean they think west siders are better horse owners. My place isn't fancy but I do take great care of my animals!

I wonder if this guy came from the Hackney herd that was given away near here earlier this summer. A certain $omeone was involved so I was leery of the legitimacy of the deal. Turned out to be legit but by the time I figured that out all of the ponies had been rehomed.

Resurrecting this thread because the rescue finally contacted me. I sent my paperwork in over six weeks ago and they just got it in the mail this past Thursday! The head person approved me as long as my vet gives me a good recommendation (shouldn't be an issue).

I spent almost an hour on the phone tonight with person who fostered him when they first brought him in. He's somewhere between 5-10 years old, was a stallion when they caught him (he was roaming loose), around 11.3 hands, does not seem to have had much handling but is fairly easy to catch and halter, ties, leads nicely but is spooky about being touched behind the withers. My biggest concern is that he has a swollen right hind fetlock. The gal said he is not lame on it but, although it's gone down some since they caught him in August, it's still puffy.

I'm going to look at him on Black Friday (will keep me from spending money shopping!). She sent me some photos tonight. In the third one you can see the swollen ankle. That photo is from August just after he was gelded. The others are more recent.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck!

Ouch, lots of blood on his rear legs, guess they didn't wash him down after gelding. He is very handsome! I couldn't tell from the later pix if the leg was still swollen, did something happen during gelding?

I've heard of rough treatment, there's a local guy that does them with no meds and the horse standing with a hindleg tied up to it's shoulder. *shudder*
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

there's a local guy that does them with no meds and the horse standing with a hindleg tied up to it's shoulder. shudder
    They used to geld using a drug that just paralyzed their muscles, now illegal.

No meds & tied up/down is like doing a tom cat in boot. Sometimes I do wonder that if this means someone would geld (or neuter cat) vs not, it might be best we can get. Unfortunate, but maybe true?

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Ouch, lots of blood on his rear legs, guess they didn't wash him down after gelding. He is very handsome! I couldn't tell from the later pix if the leg was still swollen, did something happen during gelding?

I've heard of rough treatment, there's a local guy that does them with no meds and the horse standing with a hindleg tied up to it's shoulder. *shudder*
    The gelding was apparently done by a fresh out of school vet and didn't go quite as well as it should have. He's touchy around the hind legs and didn't have enough drugs in him to wash him down safely. The swelling in the fetlock was there when they found the horse. It's gone down a lot but she said it's still a little puffy.

There are certain "horsemen" (aka "macho asshats") in this part of the country that like to rope horses and throw them to prove their superiority. He might be from an owner like that or he might just have spent his life turned out in a field with no handling. The rescue says he appears to be more neglected than abused and is actually fairly sweet when he gets to know a person. They have not been able to trim his hind feet yet though. I'm taking a friend with me so she can offer her opinion and keep me from doing anything stupid.

Hope you like him! Also give some thought to the farrier you currently use. Is s/he the patient type, and willing to work on a horse with issues like this?

I love Hackney`s and am thinking I need a cross for my hunt horse. I prefer a HH because I need some size since I am tall but I love the HP too. I had one and it was TOUGH and athletic as hell.

He is CUTE and I`m jealous!!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

That fetlock looks chronic to me. Not diffuse enough to be strictly soft tissue. I'm guessing if he'd let you feel it, it's probably pretty firm. He may be sound it now, but I'd bet there's some serious pathology in there. :-(
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory