The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Alysheba halter

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good (reputable) source for racehorse halter collecting? I would love to buy an Alysheba one - I know they pop up on eBay every now & then, but I keep missing them. .

By any chance, does anyone on this board know of anyone who has one & may be interested in selling one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Interesting question. Alysheba one of my all time favorite race horses and bred by really good people. I was there when he won the Breeders’ Cup at Churchill “in the dark”. One of my favorite Breeders’ Cup moments, the other being Sunday Silence, Easy Goer. I suppose if you wanted a “documented” halter the best person to ask would be Jack Vanburg/ Van Burg his trainer, one of the all time “greats of the turf”. A trainer and person I greatly admire and respect. Given the fact that horse racing memorabilia is not well documented and it has been more then 28 years since his birth (died in 2009) the chances of buying/finding a halter that was actually worn by the immortal with “provenance” may prove difficult. Give a call to Preston Madden his breeder, a really good guy. I doubt he will give one up but he would be happy to talk about it. Very approachable. I don’t know for fact but I would assume his halters were made by Quillin’s tack in Paris KY, http://quillin.com/jshop/ I would like to believe they would make one for you with his name plate. Horsemen by nature are pretty superstitious, we don’t like to change too much. When an “unknown” comes into the barn and becomes something “special” everything remains the same…..

Thank you, I hadn't thought to contact Mr. Madden, I will definetly do that - I found the contact info for his office. I agree he probably won't have one for sale, but it would be wonderful to have a chance to talk to him about Alysheba. I found the contact info for his office; I'll give him a call this week

I thought about contacting Mr. Van Berg, but have been unable to find any contact ino for him. I think he's at Hollywood Park, but they don't provide trainer contact info on their website.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could contact him?

Someday I'll find my Alysheba halter!