The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the best detangler??

I mean, I need the mutha of 'maresnestknotsinthetail' detanglers. I'm to the point of cutting it out as soon as fly season dies down.

My Sammy has a knot in the middle which really can't be seen unless you're in the tail. It's that tight. I've been working on the outside a little at a time. Sam is pretty patient but, criminy, I'm constantly pulling on it and, to me, that seems one of these days, he's gonna get ticked over it all.

I've tried Santa Fe and Mane & Tail so far. Baby oil is next?? Or just cut it out and start over??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I like Cowboy Magic --you put some in your hands, rub them together, then run your fingers through the hair. Smells great too. But be careful ---it will make your rings fly off.

If it's one of those giant ones and you are frustrated with the standards (Mane and Tail is my favorite) go with a few cups of vegetable oil or WD-40. Wash it out afterwards.

Default EQyys Survivor

Coming from someone who has a mare with a tail that's the equivalent of 4 thick tails......

#1 - Eqyys Survivor is the best hands down

#2 - Cowboy Magic Detangler is the runner up....I don't care for the smell as much as the Survivor and it tends to leave more of a residue, which is why Survivor is my #1.

Good luck!

I agree with the Cowboy Magic. But I squeeze it on the brush. According to my sister the cosmetologist, you always untangle from the ends and work your way up to the higher tangles. It works on my horse's tail.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

cowboy magic.
    Dreaming in Color

For the nasties, I've used WD-40 (works on getting sap off horse's bodies too). I do like the Survivor quite a bit, if you're wanting something specially formulated for the job.

Default Cowboy Magic

i agree on Cowboy Magic, I bought some Mane and Tail brand stuff because it was a dollar cheaper and ended up giving it away and buying a tube of Cowboy Magic.

I helped detangle a rescue mule's tail that was basically a solid bat filled with burrs. It took quite a while, several hands, and a lot a baby oil, but we didn't have to chop the tail off.

I'm also quite fond of "Pink" which you can find in the human ethnic haircare section. I actually like it better than Cowboy Magic, personally (and it's quite a bit cheaper).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Does the Cowboy magic leave it oily? Does stuff (dirty, bedding, etc) tend to stick to it?

I untangled the holy mother of all rats nests a couple months ago...wish I'd taken pics. It was the worst I'd ever seen. Super-thick tail that drug the ground in one big clump from the bottom of the tail bone all the way to the tips. Horse had a 20in long mane that was in the same shape (Saddlebred, go figure).

Cowboy Magic, which I've always loved for getting the knots out, just didn't do diddly on the tail. It's just too thick, wouldn't penetrate the mass of hair. I ended up using Mane-n-Tail on it, the spray stuff, and it worked fairly well. Stuck the nozzle right in the massive clump and saturated it. Let it soak in and painstakingly separated the big clump into smaller clumps and took it from there (Cowboy Magic came in handy when I got to that stage).

It was so bad I destroyed a hairbrush, went through an entire bottle of Mane-n-Tail and 3/4 a bottle of Cowboy Magic just on the tail but they got the job done. The remaining Cowboy Magic was enough to get the mane done with a little help from some baby oil and WD-40.

Stock your arsenal well and don't be afraid to mix it up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Or just cut it out and start over??
    Noooo!

WD40. Spray liberally, start working from the bottom up and you shouldn't have to cut anything. I picked up a draft cross gelding a few years ago that hadn't been touched in 3 years, his tail was one continuous mass of knots and burrs. With the help of some WD40, I was able to work my way through it in about half an hour, only got the scissors out to trim off the 8" or so that was dragging the ground when I finished.

Just try to keep it off the skin, wash thoroughly once done and give lots of cookies to your horse for being so patient.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

LOVE LOVE LOVE Eqyys Survivor, put it in tangle at the start of grooming, by the end it's easy to brush out Smells great too !

Vetrolin detangler has worked great on some very persistent knots.

WD40 is an old remedy that also works, when you don't have anything else.
    It will also take any paint out.

pledge. Hands down. I think it works better than WD40, plus it smells nicer.

then maintain with cowboy magic every week or so.

I swear by Silverado Detangler.

Cowboy magic...and DON'T use a brush!! Pick it out hair by hair. Of course, I have been trained to NEVER EVER brush a tail...

Another vote for Pledge. First read about it here on COTH and was skeptical. But since I had some for dusting furniture, I tried it. It works very well, is an inexpensive option and the lemon smell is better than any of the other products' scents.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Never would I have thought of Pledge or "Pink", of which I've never heard.

The Mane & Tail stuff doesn't penetrate one bit. That's the big drawback there.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!