The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retirement Facilities?

Hey guys - I'm looking to retire my soon to be 19 y/o TB. I live in NJ and I'd like him to be within a reasonable driving distance. I'm primarily looking in the NY/PA area with a willingness to look at VA, if necessary. I'm looking for reasonable price and retirement care since I won't be around to check on him.

I found this farm which looks great - Green Acres Retirement Facility

Has anyone else had any experience with them or can any one recommend another facility?

TIA!

Cloud 9 Farm in Pittstown NJ.. I have both of my retired two there .. Julie is fabulous and takes awesome care of them..

I also do retirement boarding, and so looked at the Green Acres website with a critical eye -- and it looks really great! I do not know it, but it looks worth a visit. It also is an amazing bargain in terms of price.

I know mkevent does retirement boarding in NJ too, you could contact her via PM. I think a couple of COTH members do retirement boarding in PA (lawndart? someone else as well). It looks like you are willing to drive 5 hours or so?

If you do look at Green Acres, I was struck by the fact that there was only one photo of the facility on the website which was a bit odd for a website. Perhaps get more pictures before going up. It also looks like pasture board is only available April - October; and also I'd ask for references from current and former boarders, their vet and farrier. And I'd expect to provide the same to them, from your current barn, your vet and farrier.

Good luck! There are a lot of barns doing retirement board, some just take a bit of digging to find!

Thanks SMF11!

I do retirement boarding and actually have current opening.

Feel free to check out my website-my cell number is on there if you have any questions or would like to visit. I'm located in Medford NJ (between exits 4 and 5 on the NJTP if that helps).

Stay away Fawn Run in Ringoes Nj

Thanks for the NJ references, but while I'd love to keep him very close, I'm looking in NY/PA because cost of living is slightly cheaper if you catch my drift. After boarding at a beautiful full boarding facility for 10 years and paying NJ vet and farrier costs, I know I need to look outside of NJ to afford the long retirement I know he's going to have. I will definitely try to reach out to the others though!!

And I'm scheduled to go up to GA in about two weeks to check it out, so if its good ill definitely be asking for references!
    Last edited by Buggliest; Oct. 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Good luck in your search!

I totally hear you about NJ prices. Sometimes I wonder why I like this state, even though it is soo expensive!

Here is a thread from a while ago that had some good recommendations...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ement+boarding

At least 5 years ago a friend placed her horse here.http://www.historiclongbranch.com/horses.htm

I spoke to her recently, and she had gone by several times over the years to check on the horse, and take photos. I will say the mare looks great.
    Taking it day by day!

www.unwantedhorsecoalition.org has a directory of retirement facilities by state.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    www.unwantedhorsecoalition.org has a directory of retirement facilities by state.
    I just looked at the site quickly, so could have missed it, but that website deals more with "unwanted" horses -- it is more for a person looking for a rescue, as opposed to being willing to pay board for the retirement of a horse.

The retirement facilities that take horses for a one-time payment (the one I know of charges $6,000 up front) have years-long waiting lists. Plus, signing over ownership isn't what everyone is looking for.

I board my mare at mkevent's place, and we both love it. I've had this mare for almost 23 years years since she was 3, and there's a degree of guilt in not having a lot of time for her now that I have a young horse, but mkevent takes care of that by treating her like a queen
    Last edited by TemJeito; Oct. 24, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Does anyone know of retirement farms with experience with blind horses and Equine Recurrent Uveitis?

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I just looked at the site quickly, so could have missed it, but that website deals more with "unwanted" horses -- it is more for a person looking for a rescue, as opposed to being willing to pay board for the retirement of a horse.
    Anyone who takes in horses, whether for free or pay, rescue or rehab or retirement, can post a listing, so in addition to rescues, there are retirement facilities such as what OP is looking for.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Cosmos mom-I'm wondering if any vet schools would be able to give any recommendations?

My other thought was specialized layup farms?

I don't have any experience with ERU-would there be any support groups where you could get recommendations?