The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ADS Meeting!!

Hey all!

I went up to Fitchburg for the first time to go to Hickory Knoll, for the ADS meeting. I only went on Sunday, but I participated in the pairs sessions and got to drive "the ton of fun", 2 Haffies.

They were such good boys, and my first experience with a pair was awesome! It was great to get a close up look at how the pairs harnesses work, and also close up looks at marathon carriages.

Not only was it my first time seeing/driving a pair, it was also my first time driving a 4 wheel vehicle. I've been a passenger on them, but never a driver.

Lots of firsts! Mary Ruth Marks let me harness up one of her pair ponies so I could get a good feel for the harness, too. Super great time and I am so glad I went.

Physically, I found the marathon carriages much hard to enter, and almost could not get in the Haffie's vehicle. I learn a little more every day, even a year past my surgery, to what my leg can and cannot do. I never stopped to think about how difficult a marathon vehicle could be to enter.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time and I think everyone else I know enjoyed themselves, too. What a great experience it was! And Hickory Knoll is beautiful. We'll have to see if Chewbacca is up to a full CDE next year, maybe I will go. Or maybe I will bring the hackney. How about both? lol.

The only thing I am feeling bummed about --- now that I've experienced first hand driving a pair, I want to do one with Chewbacca more than ever!! And I'm bummed that I don't have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get a carriage and another horse. lol!!!

Here's a video, because of course, we all know I bring my helmet cam everywhere now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlrg...ature=youtu.be

I am soooooo jealous! Looks like you had an amazingly good time.

Rebecca

I am glad you had fun!

Just enjoy chewie as the single and the minis as your multiple for now. And believe me you are head and shoulders above most drivers doing the tandem.

EEEEKKKKK!!!!! ( that is me screaming in the opposite direction of someone asking me to drive a tandem)

Mary Ruth is a wonderful resource and an all around great lady. I greatly admire her breeding program which has turned out wonderful ponies, of extremely uniform type and temperament.