Saw this thread over in the hunter/jumper forum and wanted to start one here!
What are those wishes and dreams that you've always wanted to do with your horse?
This is my list (so far)...
1) Go camping in the rockies with my heart horse
2) Trail ride at midnight during the summer solstice (the midnight sun! Take advantage of living way up here in the great white north)
3) Complete a full format Training level three day event
4) Gallop on the beach
5) Clinic with Jimmy Wofford!!!
6) Be able to ride bridleless at the walk and trot
7) Take a riding tour in an exotic region like Nepal or Turkey.
Some of mine:
1) Go riding in the US West including the Rockies and Yellowstone
2) Trail ride at night
3) Complete a Classic Training and Prelim 3 day event
4) Gallop on the beach
5) Clinic again with Jimmy Wofford!!!
6) Be able to ride bridleless at the walk and trot. . . in control. Did this once and ended up in a canter/gallop
7) Take a riding tour anywhere - I watch Equitrekking for ideas
8) Ride a cutting horse
9) Learn to drive
10) School a racehorse, flat or jump
11) Ride an upper level Dressage horse - Correctly
"Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
Courtesy my cousin Tim
1.) Get good at dressage!
2.) Complete a T3D with my current horse
3.) Buy and restart an OTTB
4.) Gallop on the beach (I live on the shoreline and still haven't done this! )
5.) Lesson with as many awesome instructors as I can
6.) Complete a CCI****
7.) Go foxhunting.
1. Ride on the beach (all four gaits will work)
2. Multi-day Trail ride in the mountains with my horse(s)
3. Take my mare one more time to Lake Hartwell for a swim (she's getting on)
4. Compete in a long format show
5. Compete at AECs
6. Help my SO compete and beat me in dressage so she can brag forever
7. Clinic with Becky Holder or Sinead Halpin.
There are so many more, but these I think I can do. I dreamed the other night about running at some (*)ish show, but were I to get to Training I would be content.
1) Ride Preliminary level
2) Ride on the beach
3) Go swimming on horseback
4) Go foxhunting (my horse is NOT suitable for fox hunting but I'd like to borrow one to go!)
5) Compete at AECs
6) Get good at SJ
Sorry to be reptitive! Unfortunately my horse came up lame last week so who knows how many of these will come to fruition with the current sweet boy Fingers crossed for a good outcome with the vet appt tomorrow.
Things that I have already completed on my bucket list.
1. I have cliniced with Jimmy Wofford and Denny Emerson.
2. I galloped on a beach in Ireland.
3. I took a lesson from Willie Leahy in Ireland.
4. I qualified for the AEC's the past six years and rode in four of them.
5. I started my heart horse when she was 3 years old (She is 13 years old, now.)
6. I exercised Polo ponies in my 30's for Lee Taylor in Germantown, TN.
7. I exercised Fox Hunt horses in my 20's, while Cub Hunting with the Triangle Hunt in NC. When I was in Pony Club, I hunted with the Fitzpatrick Hounds in Alabama.
8. I have schooled Grand Prix dressage movements on a Grand Prix dressage horse. I did Piaffe and Passage. I did not get to canter.
9. As part of the Winter Term Abroad at Lake Erie College, I spent 2 months in Ledston, England at the Fulmer School of Equitation. While I was there, I passed the BHSAI exam.
10. I observed a training session at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, Austria.
11. When I was young, I rode with Major Bella Buttykay (he trained Wash Bishop at Cahaba PC), Wendy Ely (her Dad was Howard Morris) Peg Whitehurst (breeder of Seldom Seen and Last Scene) and Dennis Murphy (while he was on the US show jumping team in the late 70's). Even though Alabama was not the mecca for eventing, I surely had some great horsemen help me get my start in eventing and jumping.
12. I used to take my first horse swimming in a lake on midnight, bareback trail rides, during Pony Club Rally camp. The grown-ups did not know that we snuck out to do this. Back then, we were young and had no clue how dangerous our escapades were.
Still left on my bucket list:
1. Ride the Connemara Trail with Willie Leahy.
2. Get myself healthy enough to complete a whole eventing season, without having a season ending health scare.
3. I would like to go to another eventing camp. I need to find one that is not held in the middle of the hottest part of the summer. Suggestions?
4. I would love to make it to Aiken to event in the Spring. I have tried for the past four years to get there, but every year, either Tess or I have had a lameness/illness to prevent our going.
Most of my bucket list has been accomplished. I guess, if you live long enough, you will have the opportunity to do most of your list.
OH! I'll play...
Stuff I've been lucky enough to do:
1. Go swimming horseback (really stupid kids on ponies) but boy was it fun!
2. Jump bareback (see above)
3. Sorta go foxhunting (but only hilltopping and assisting one of the masters, didn't jump)
4. Learn to pony other horses
5. Ride a horse that went to an Olympics (was the alternate)
6. Get to ride babies and sale horses
Stuff I still want to do:
1. GALLOP on the beach
2. Foxhunt in England or Ireland
3. Clinic with Wofford (didn't have enough pennies to go when he's going to be just down the road, gah!)
4. Training 3 Day
5. Prelim? Maybe one day
6. Fix my jumping position over EVERY fence
7. Piaffe and passage on a schoolmaster
8. Ride a good reiner
9. Ride a cutting horse