The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you shop breed or individual?

When you shop for horses, do your shop for breed or do your shop for individual?
    _
    Let's Say your trainer has a pretty good holsteiner and a super Swedish Warmblood to choose from , which one do you choose?

Why would you exclude horses based on breed if they are a correct, quality horse within your price point? There are exceptions to every rule in every breed. If the horse is the right fit and can do the job with success...

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyShow View Post
    When you shop for horses, do your shop for breed or do your shop for individual?
    _
    Let's Say your trainer has a pretty good holsteiner and a super Swedish Warmblood to choose from , which one do you choose?
    I guess in my case, I take breed into consideration a little - I'm a TB girl, through and through, and so that's where I've been casually looking (although I'm certainly not getting another horse any time soon!!). In the situation that you posted, though, I would choose whichever one I got along with best that could do the job I wanted best, provided I could afford it.

4 members found this post helpful.

_
    In this case...I would just try both horses & see which I liked more before vetting it. Nothing to do with the breed cause I don't show at breed shows nor do I plan on breeding (if either were a mare or stallion).

ETA*** Now if I saw a horse I liked who wasn't for sale, I would inquire about the breeding. Then perhaps I might investigate those bloodlines a little & look for some more by that stallion to see what they are like or if they are for sale.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm the same as supershorty - I like TBs, and the kind of ride/personality the breed is statistically likely to produce. I also like the price as well.

Why is it such a high crime (on COTH) to prefer one breed over another? I have Maine Coon cats. I'm never going to shop for a persian or a siamese. Ditto for corgis. I love 'em and I'm never going to buy a lab, so there you have it. Do I think people who like/own persians or labs are wrong? Well, of course not. They have different tastes, prefer different aspects to their preferred breed and probably own lovely animals that make them very happy. Who CARES if they never glance sideways at a Maine Coon, corgi, or any other breed?

Now insert horse breeds into the above paragraph.

What's wrong is trashing somebody because they own/choose to own X breed or disparaging the breed just because its not to your taste.

SS - "casually looking" described me when I found Lido
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

6 members found this post helpful.

I shop for brains and temperament first, always. I may have some breed preference/tendencies, but I look for brains, temperament and ability/suitability first. I had ZERO intention of getting a big, chunky draft cross with a super typey neck and head, but there you have it. The rest of him was perfect for me.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Well, I certainly look for the best horse in my price range and go from there. I like some breeds better than others. I like some colors better than others. I like some sexes better than other. But I wouldn't say no to some that falls outside of my favorite choices.

Now, I can totally see if I wanted to do QH shows, that yes, I would look ONLY for a QH. Then find the best QH that fits my other criteria. So I can see some only liking certain breeds. I have a Trakehnerr/Ap cross, and I have looked for another to see if it was similar to mine. Just can't find one!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

If the horse goes the way I want it to go, looks good doing it, is reasonably attractive, is the right size, has a great mind, I get along with it, and it ticks all the boxes, breed is one of the last things on my radar.

For the most part, depending on what you're shopping for, it's hard not to be at least a little "breedist". The 14.3h Arab that jumps 3ft max is never going to be a horse I'll go see. However, if there's a 16.2 QH or something non-WB that looks like a $ WB (for ease of description) and moves and jumps a 10 at 3'6", well, that's another story.

I am a bit if a breed shopper. When looking for horses I definitely find that I am more inclined to look for holsteiners over anything else but when it comes down to buying the horse I will pick the individual that I am most compatable with and the one that is going to be the best partner for my particular goals. It just so happens I have found a lot of success with holsteiners.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    SS - "casually looking" described me when I found Lido
    Yeah well, "not looking" described me when I ended up with Nikki, so clearly I have a great grasp on not buying horses when I am not looking for them
    Last edited by supershorty628; Jul. 15, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I cant really say that I breed shop. There are breeds that I will avoid. Ive always had TBs and a variety of WBs and to be perfectly honest have been a bit of a breed/bloodline snob in the past. That was until someone brought me a QH/Morgan to go on training. That horse turned out to be one of the cutest hunters, and just a joy to ride. Now he's a successful little Ammy Adult horse.

I look at breedING to increase the probability of the pool of prospects having the traits I desire.

I then look at the individual to decide which one most exemplifies the particular traits I am looking for. No animal is perfect, it is always a compromise - and the things that I can make work aren't always going to be the same things that someone else could make work.

_
    It depends on the age/training of the horse. If we are looking at a young horse then the breed and breeding are considered. If we are looking for an experienced horse the breed or breeding isn't considered very much at all.

I agree with Mouse&Bay.

As far as choosing between a Holsteiner and a SWB, I wouldn't take breed into consideration AT ALL. I would look at the performance and soundness records of the parents--especially the dam--and then look closely at the individual horses as to which one better suited me.

Warmblood breed titles can in some cases be misleading. Many warmbloods with different breed titles share the same relatives. In any case I certainly would NOT discriminate against a SWB, that would be ridiculous.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Yeah well, "not looking" described me when I ended up with Nikki, so clearly I have a great grasp on not buying horses when I am not looking for them

And at 4:36PM yesterday, supershorty thinks "DMK... D... K... why does this look familiar?"
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    And at 4:36PM yesterday, supershorty thinks "DMK... D... K... why does this look familiar?"
    Story of my life.

I had a 15 minute conversation with someone in Vermont. I was clearly supposed to know who she was. She knew who I was. I made it through the conversation without it being apparent (at least I think I did!) that I had NO CLUE who she was.

Still don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to stop pulling the thread off-track.

OP, in your example I would pick the nicer horse, for sure. Especially for a gelding. For a mare I would consider the breeding more, if I thought I might use her for breeding someday. While I am a believer in "judge the horse in front of you," good bloodlines are more likely to produce a good horse so I'd want a potential broodmare to be bred well.

That said, I am also predisposed to like Holsteiners with a lot of blood, as I have worked with them a good bit in the past and adored the ones I rode.

I've spent most of my life buying the individual and have had many great QH, TB, and "mutt" WBs. Nowadays I shop for breed first (Holsteiner) and then pick the individual I like the best out of that pool. But I'm buying young horses (1-2 yo), so breed does come into play, and it's easy to pull together a pool of young horses to look at.

Your situation's a bit different, and breed becomes much less important to me in a grown horse. Or as many say, pretty is as pretty does. In your situation I would pick the nicer horse without a second thought.

Depends. I have Morgans and I love Morgans. If I wanted another Morgan, then obviously, I would look only at Morgans.

However, if I just wanted a nice sporthorse for the hunters or maybe jumpers, then I would be open to any breed.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I'm a bit of a bloodline/breed snob, but have had a lot of luck with most of the WB breeds interchangeably. Since the brand/papers often aren't reflective of their actual breeding, I wouldn't care what brand they had (ex: my AO mare is Holsteiner X Dutch, but branded Oldenburg). I do follow a lot of the Hanoverian bloodlines and so with a young, unproven horse, bloodlines are the deciding factor, all else being equal.
    If I'm looking for something I might want to breed down the line, I might care more about the association, since it's theoretically easier to get a mare approved if she's already in their books.
    All that being said, a good horse (moves right, jumps nice, good brain) can't be a bad color or a bad breed. I've had some lovely TBs, Appendix QHs, and even an Appy in the past. I might not search out horses adverstised with those registrations, but if I happened upon a nice one that met my criteria, I wouldn't hesitate just because of breed. In OPs case, I think you should just pick the horse who's the better match for you.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...