The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And what about that one-fall rule?

If you fall off in the HT, you can go to the h/j side and ride in as many classes as you like.

Back in the 80's I rode at an event at KHP. I quickly realized they also had an A hunter show going on at the same time. I was horrified. I used to show hunters in that area and saw the clash of, um, values being a problem. Eventers are very honest, trusting people to the point of leaving saddles and bridles out in front of their stalls over night. I knew too much about the hunter people (sad to say.) I told as many people as I could to lock up their tack at night. Sadly not everyone got the message and a number of eventer's saddles went missing.

Sorry to say this is a true story.

I'm sure things would be different today though. Right?

Way to make lemonade out of lemons, Reed. Glad it ended on a good note!
    Spoke with a friend who rode there last weekend, too, and was super-psyched to hear she took her two horses -- 4 and 7, I think -- both of whom she purchased as unbroke babies and has developed herself, and came home with a pair of blue ribbons, in novice on the baby and training on the teenager! What a gratifying feeling :-)
    Both show jumped beautifully to finish the weekend. Why? Because rather than just event, she takes them to a bunch of little schooling jumper shows to expose them to the world and give them opportunities to jump real courses away from home in what is still a lower-pressure setting (schooling time in the ring, multiple chances to jump a course instead of just one shot, etc.)
    Cross-pollination is a Good Thing for us as eventers.
    Last edited by NeverTime; Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

If you fall off in the HT, you can go to the h/j side and ride in as many classes as you like.
    Makes one think doesn't it?
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Too funny, my friend did the EXACT same thing after her boy refused the water. She threw on her show shirt and ambled over to do some jumper classes. I think that is just fantastic!
    Team Ginger

aaahahaha, that really puts shame to the one fall rule.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    Too funny, my friend did the EXACT same thing after her boy refused the water. She threw on her show shirt and ambled over to do some jumper classes. I think that is just fantastic!
    COHP has done this before.
    The last time I was out there was maybe 2009? Reed is just old and dementia is setting in I guess--cause he was there too.

My friend's horse stopped out at the beginning of the uh...geez I don't even remember--dementia for me too!-- If they had Advanced it was Advanced--otherwise it was Intermediate.

She went and did a bunch of jumper rounds that afternoon.
    It was so easy and so quick.
    She just went to one of the ring stewards, asked them what they were doing--paid up with the secretary and an hour later jumped 3 courses with jump offs in a matter of 30 minutes.

The Texas Rose Horse Park (in Tyler--where the AECs will be for the next 3 years) could TOTALLY do this.

I tell you what would be even more funny!!--is the amount of eventers who would enter in the National and International Hunter Derby. That would be AWESOME.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

What would be really cool is if a hunter rider who didn't get perfect lead changes tore off her hairnet in disgust and galloped out to XC.

What would be really cool is if a hunter rider who didn't get perfect lead changes tore off her hairnet in disgust and galloped out to XC.

"Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Back in the 80's I rode at an event at KHP. I quickly realized they also had an A hunter show going on at the same time. I was horrified. I used to show hunters in that area and saw the clash of, um, values being a problem. Eventers are very honest, trusting people to the point of leaving saddles and bridles out in front of their stalls over night. I knew too much about the hunter people (sad to say.) I told as many people as I could to lock up their tack at night. Sadly not everyone got the message and a number of eventer's saddles went missing.

When I went to the VA Starter Trials last spring I kept all my stuff but halters and leadlines locked in my trailer and was down right shocked when I walked through some of the barns to see the eventers leaving their stuff out unsupervised and unlocked. I came from a H/J backround as well and the cool thing was I didn't hear about anyone's stuff being taken. Eventing may be a bit scary for me at times, but I loooove the community.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

LOL* That is the kind of video that would go viral on YouTube.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Somehow we need to enable a "late" entry process to make this happen. JER if you can make it work, I can get the hunter princess.

As for the mixing of h/j, eventers and dressage folks, I think eventers have become savvy enough to keep their things under lock and key nowadays. There have been plenty of thefts even at solo 3-day events.

As for myself, it was really funny at the competitor party. All three shows were there. So many of my h/j friends commented at seeing me out in the jumper ring. In the end though, there is still not enough adrenaline in the jumpers for me. XC is life.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Somehow we need to enable a "late" entry process to make this happen.
    Yes. We'll add one question to the entry form -- Are you a disgruntled Hunter Princess? -- and if the answer is yes, all late fees and entry deadlines are waived.

Yes. We'll add one question to the entry form -- Are you a disgruntled Hunter Princess? -- and if the answer is yes, all late fees and entry deadlines are waived.
    And we will allow them IMMEDIATE access to the XC course.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    And we will allow them IMMEDIATE access to the XC course.
    I wonder if they would think that the jump judges are actually jump Judges. They'd finish and wait for their score to be announced.

. . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . . ("when are they pinning this stupid class, anyways?")

"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

What worked great for us was a schooling Derby cross we held at Plantation Fields as a fundraiser for both PF and a couple riders bound for Burghley.

It was a nice mixture of stadium and xc jumps (including the water, ditch and banks). We had ankle biter levels on up through Prelim. You could do as many rounds as you wanted and at different levels. I took a green horse in the ankle biter and had planned on also doing the next level. But she was pretty green so I repeated the same level but jumped a few bigger fences (it was all pre set)--kind of created my own course with approval of the Organizer. It was perfect. Wish there were more such opportunitites.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The preplanning part IS the hardest for me to adjust to. I like being able to decide at the last minute whether the show/weather is conducive to enjoyment of the day/weekend. Planning a month or five in advance what shows life is going to permit me to attend is more difficult now that I have a family, two jobs and a farm.

Plus, deciding what division I'm going to do that far in advance is hard too for this jumper princess. I'm used to deciding the night before what height horse is ready for. I would happily pay extra for post entries!

All whining aside, XC is really fun, especially on my smart, game little hotrod TB. Maybe not yet as fun as a big jumpoff but it will be once he's ready for bigger stuff. I used to take my now-old jumper out and do the Prelim/Intermediate fences at a local park and that stuff was pretty darn fun to ride. Love coffins, they are like driving really fast over those railroad track hills in high school, but THEY are still legal. WHEEE!

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post

Unfortunately from what I have read on this board theft can be an issue at events these days as well.

This is a great idea! I've only done one jumper show and the course and jump off course memorization was not an easy exercise for me. We have very few local show opportunities.....everything is at least a 2 hour drive. It would be fantastic to have everything in one venue.

The theft stuff could be the economy. In 15 years of A shows in the jumpers I never had anything stolen. Of course my stuff, while fine, has never been top of the line so probably they didn't want it.