The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dermorphin positives in post race testing

http://www.drf.com/news/warning-chan...phin-positives

Industrial Labs, a drug-testing company in Denver, Colo., was told by state racing regulators six months ago to be on the lookout for a potent opiate painkiller, dermorphin, according to the lab’s director, an alert that has led to a spate of post-race positives for the drug in at least two states.

The warning was passed on as a rumor that the drug was being abused at racetracks, according to Petra Hartmann, the lab director, who would not name the state in which the alert originated.

While no positive results were recorded in the first three months of testing, the lab began detecting the drug 2 1/2 months ago, immediately after the test was tweaked, Hartmann said.
    “We had about four suspected tests” in the first three months, Hartmann said. “But after we improved the test, and as we kept looking for it, they started popping up.”

On Thursday, Steven Barker, the director of the drug-testing laboratory at Louisiana State University, confirmed that the lab had called 10 positives for dermoprhin after receiving the new method from Industrial Labs.

On Friday, Barker said that he had detected the drug in another post-race test, bringing the total from Louisiana racehorses to 11.

Dermorphin is a naturally occurring opioid that is produced as a skin secretion in certain species of South American frogs, though it can also be synthesized and manufactured.
    It is highly potent, and the minimum penalty for a post-race positive of the drug is a one-year suspension, loss of purse, and a $10,000 fine.

Barker had said that Industrial taught him the new method so his lab could confirm the detection of the drug in split samples originating from Oklahoma.
    The Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission would not confirm that it has received reports of positives of the drugs.

According to an official with knowledge of the positives, Oklahoma has detected at least 15 post-race positives of dermorphin. Ten of those positives came from one trainer, the official said.

Hartmann would not confirm that her lab detected positives from any one state. She said that Industrial has applied the new test to post-race samples originating from three states.

Industrial does drug-testing on behalf of racing commissions in Oklahoma, Colorado, Arizona, Minnesota, and North Dakota.

Hartmann also said that her lab has shared the new method with a number of other testing laboratories across the U.S., introducing the possibility that more positives for the drug will be called in the next several weeks.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Default More from NYT

Great, this is just what our sport needs after the Drug O'Neill saga. I'm getting to the point where I love my sport too much to watch it go down in flames. I've always heard on the backside rumors and allegations of dirty trainers who never seem to get caught. Heck, I argued with an exercise rider at Keenelands kitchen on cobra venom (I said how could they get that?) well, a couple of weeks later a couple of trainers get popped for you guessed it, cobra venom.

I'm so sick of the chemical warfare! Our sport deserves to get taken over by the Feds! If we cannot keep dirty trainers out (the stewards know who these guys are) and clean up our slaughter image, we are doomed.

Those goofy horses, licking South American frogs. We thought they'd make great companions, honest! And they seemed so happy living in the feed buckets...
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Nothing new (as far as the frogs)...hey, maybe this is what Oscar Barrera used all those years ago. Rumor has it....

If I had access to a drug that made all your pain go away and made you euphoric, I would not waste it on a horse!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Per The Blood Horse, the KY Racing Commission is going back to post 2012 KY Derby and KY Oaks pulled blood and testing it for dermorphin.

I wonder if they are suspicious about any particular horse or horses, or if they are just interested?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    If I had access to a drug that made all your pain go away and made you euphoric, I would not waste it on a horse!
    I know, I read that article and thought 40x more powerful than Morphine? Euphoria? Energy? Why is this not used on cancer patients?!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Per The Blood Horse, the KY Racing Commission is going back to post 2012 KY Derby and KY Oaks pulled blood and testing it for dermorphin.

I wonder if they are suspicious about any particular horse or horses, or if they are just interested?
    I'd assume to absolutely and unequivocally ensure the public this hasn't (and will never will) been used to taint the CD premier races. If they didn't there are the tin foil hat wearing bloggers who would surmise "what if" and other gibberish.

Red face

I am guessing that they are testing because they can...and to show the general public and others that there is now a test for the stuff. I do not believe they think any of the competitors had it in their systems, but rather, knowing that everyone would read the headline because the Oaks and Derby was mentioned, were trying to show that they have caught up with at least one performance enhancing drug.

Basically, they cannot test for something if they do not know what they are testing for...criminal trainers try to (and do) stay one step ahead of the testing labs.

Great business we are in, huh?
    Turning For Home, Inc.
    Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
    www.patha.org
    turningforhome@patha.org

NM Quarter Horse trainer suspended for 21 years.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...in-new-mexico/

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Another NM trainer for 2 5yr suspensions and several (6? 8?) LA trainers this past week with suspensions.

What I'd really like to know and haven't been able to determine yet is are these suspensions concurrent or consecutive? Two 5 year = 5years or ten years as the headline @ paulickreport stated for the first NM violator?