The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Attaching Pipe Panels to Wood Posts

So I finally got some pipe panels to replace the current wood fence that we have on the overhang area of my barn. So we will pull down the wood rails and leave the wood posts. Panels will need to be attached to barn at corner (6x6 post covered with outside wood panels), and at the 6x6 post that holds up the overhang, plus we will have a 6x6 post in the middle from the fence.

SO went to Home Depot to get hardware for attaching and came home with some chain link fence parts that will not work. so I'm trying to figure out what we need - so any suggestions? I'm thinking some sort of strap or bracket that fits around the pipe, then attaches to the wood with lag bolts (how big?). If I can get a name of what I need, maybe I can order it, or at least SO can have a picture of what he's looking for when he hits the hardware store.

I'm also going to run electric along to keep them off the panels, but still want anything we use to be safe (nothing sticking out or sharp) as my crew will find any way to hurt themselves on anything, IME!

I used nylon straps to attach mine. I used long straps that are wrapped the whole length of the posts, like 25 times around on a 5' panel. 8 years later, still going strong.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I buy thicker wire than baling wire, I think is 9 gauge and that is what we use to tie panels to any post, wood or pipe.
    We have done that for years and it is still holding fine and you can't see it.
    Be sure to turn the ends back so they are not poking out there.

Doubled baling wire works also.

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I used nylon straps to attach mine. I used long straps that are wrapped the whole length of the posts, like 25 times around on a 5' panel. 8 years later, still going strong.
    Wouldn't work on attaching to the barn unless I buy some pretty long straps (to wrap the whole barn!).

You can drill a hole in each panel here and there and use lagbolts to attach the panels to the wood post.
    That is the way we had for the past 60 years some panels attached to wood posts in our cattle pens.

We used pipe straps/clamps/hangers. Look in the plumbing department.

You can see them (barely) in This photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I buy thicker wire than baling wire, I think is 9 gauge and that is what we use to tie panels to any post, wood or pipe.
    We have done that for years and it is still holding fine and you can't see it.
    Be sure to turn the ends back so they are not poking out there.

Doubled baling wire works also.
    This or baling twine. Our panels get shifted around and we like them stiff so we plant a tpost and fasten the panels to those with baling twine wraps. Easy to remove with a knife and last as long as we've ever needed them - a couple of years.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I would think you could attach them to the posts the same way you'd hang a pipe gate?

With these brackets:
    http://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lT/T/YB7L.jpg
    And these bolts:
    http://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lR/P/GJXJ.jpg

You'd want one bolt pointing up and one pointing down, so the critters don't lift the pannels off the bolts.

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, all. I think the pipe straps were what I was thinking of. I had suggested the one idea of drilling the panels and using lag bolts directly, but SO didn't like that idea for some reason. Perhaps worried about the drilling metal part (we aren't the handiest of households). But I might revisit that idea. Think we will skip Home Depot and go to a "real" hardware store!

The company that you purchased your panels from should have some connector pieces that you can attach to the wall or post.

If your panels have pins at the end, and "hoops" to attach the next panel, then they will have a connector that has a flat back and just the hoop. You bolt that to the wall and then put the pin of the panel in it.

Nancy!

THIS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy! View Post
    The company that you purchased your panels from should have some connector pieces that you can attach to the wall or post.
    You might have to special order the male and female attachments, but you should be able to. And a bonus that the panels can be removed easily, should your needs change later. And the part of me that loves things that have matching pieces to match up delights in this solution-- even if the others work as well and might be cheaper.
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com