The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to Me about Bug Zappers for Flies...

So we are having a very warm, dry fall here in the Pacific Northwest and the flies are rejoicing. We use fly predators every year with pretty good success, but this year, probably due to the very wet spring we had (and the numerous chickens we added to our flock), they were not as effective as usual.

As I cleaned stalls tonight and noted the large number of big, fat, lazy flies swooping about (only some of which adhered themselves to the numerous fly paper curls I had hung yesterday), I recalled with great fondness the bug zapper of my Ohio youth. Oh, it's satisfying bzzzzt and crackle! If only I could hang a good quality bug zapper in our barn and watch flies fry! Surely bug zapper technology has improved since the 80s...

I did some initial online research and it appears the traditional blue-light zapper doesn't do a good job attracting pest flies, but there are fly-pheromone cartridges you can use in some of the commercial grade models. Online product reviews rated efficacy for mosquitoes, but that's not my target audience. Anyone try one of these commercial grade next-generation bug zappers with the fly-pheromone cartridges in their barns? The last thing I want to do is spend big $$ to attract more flies than the unit kills...
    Rachel Kosmal McCart
    Equine Legal Solutions, Inc.
    www.equinelegalsolutions.com

Sorry can't comment on the new ones but I never liked the old type because they zapped too many beneficial bugs. If you could place the pheromone kind just far enough away to attract the flies at the barn without bringing in more, it might work but can it really tell the difference between bad and beneficial insects?

After being disappointed for 2 years with the Fly Eliminators they seem to have finally helped this (3rd) year.

You have to figure out WHAT KIND of flies you really have, to be able to target them for removal. Some flies are attracted to dead smells, work well in those hanging traps with water. Differerent types of flies never look at those traps. Others can be caught on the flypaper curls or tapes. TRY to cover them with wire guards to keep your birds out of the sticky stuff on tape.

I really don't know of any bug zapper things that flies are attracted to, because they have the wrong color lighting. The ones who get fried just happened to land in a bad place!

Until you figure out your target flies, then you can't get many by using the wrong attractant or removal methods.

A quick update - I hung numerous fly paper curls in the barn and loft and VOILA! Hundreds of dead flies! It might be low-tech, but at .50/curl, it's certainly cost-effective, and it's satisfying to see results. I'm sure that the fly curls wouldn't be sufficient on their own, but used in conjunction with the fly predators, I didn't see a single (live) fly when I went out to feed this morning, a new first.

Going forward, I'm going to see if I can't find fly curls online in bulk and change them out regularly to supplement our fly predators' work...
    Rachel Kosmal McCart
    Equine Legal Solutions, Inc.
    www.equinelegalsolutions.com

I use fly predators and have found that those big fly bags that you fill up with water are a great supplement and are cheap and easy to use, although they stink. Hang them in a sunny place that's not windy. Beware of the sticky fly strips --- birds can get caught in them.