The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Stall Toys

Can I please get some recommendations for stall toys. My horse is going to be on stall rest for the next month and I would like to get him a couple toys to keep him amused. My vet said I cant use any of the toys that require treats (which are the easiest ones to get their attention!). I got him a Jolly Ball and am looking at getting him a horse Pas-A-Fier (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=767735407). I am just unsure if a toy like that will get his attention. If anyone has any other recommendations that would be great. Thanks so much!

I hang Himalayan salt on a rope in my horse's stall. He LOVES it and it's just minerals
    Designer Horses | Crystal Valley Equine
    Check out "For Sale" to see Guys & Gals we have ready for new homes!

I'd love some recommendations too -- my new guy is coming tomorrow and he is a busy boy, so I have a feeling he would love some toys. Already got the Himalayan salt covered. Glad to hear they like that stuff -- I bought it before I realized it costs like ten times as much as the normal livestock salt!
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

The Himalayan salt block/lick should last longer than those pressed salt blocks.

I have an Amazing Graze for my cube only eating beast. His alfalfa cubes go in the thing and he moves it around his stall getting them out. When it is empty he kicks it out in the aisle to get someone to put more in.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16270

http://www.petvetsupply.com/equhhpi010.html

Question

I have the Himalayan Salt covered as well! The toy Seal Harbor suggested looks great, it's just we don't want my horse to have any toys with food/treats (lickits, etc). Besides an actual Jolly Ball, does anyone have any other suggestions of something that actually works that does not involve food/treats of any kind?! The Horse Pas-A-Fier I put a link to in my previous post I am unsure about... but that's the only other thing besides a Jolly Ball I can find...

That Amazing Grace thing is hilarious -- I have about a zillion dog toys that do exactly that. I wish someone would make a giant Squirrel Dude for horses.

My mule thinks his regularly-replaced plastic gallon milk jug filled with a few rocks that clatter around is the best thing in the entire world. I'm sure he wakes up the other horses playing with it all night, but it keeps him from getting into other trouble! One will last him about a week before it's too mushed to make any more good noises, and lucky for him that's the rate that my house goes through milk!

Don't use a Parelli ball (those big green ones) with a "busy" horse. The one I have on stall rest took a completely full one and within 9 hours had squashed it flat and flung it from his stall out in the paddock somehow! I'd really, REALLY like to know how he did it, but am not sacrificing another $75 to find out . . .
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    My mule thinks his regularly-replaced plastic gallon milk jug filled with a few rocks that clatter around is the best thing in the entire world.
    Hmm, I am thinking that Costco-size plastic fruit juice jugs with holes cut in the side would make a pretty good substitute for the Amazing Grace toy, albeit requiring more frequent replacement.

For the plastic jugs, I don't bother to cut holes in them. Just leave the cap off - fill with pellets or cookies or carrot pieces (or for my IR horse, a few celery pieces). They figure it out. I tend to use the heavier jugs like from corn oil or juice rather than the milk type -- the latter are squashed in nothing flat (sorry about the pun).

I like the Nose-it (http://www.nose-it.com/) better than the Amazing Graze as the hole is smaller and it doesn't roll quite so easily. So far, it has proven indestructible.

Old favorite for my boys has been the jolly ball with a hole cut out and filled with treats. Some get it loose, others have it tied up on a rope.

I have a pas-a-fier in one stall and have yet to see a horse touch it. Well, unless you count the one that figured out it was the perfect butt scratching tool, long as he crouches down just right...

Not sure why he can't have the ones with treats? Maybe you could just put dengie (sp?) in an old plastic jug suspended from the ceiling. Or even handfuls of hay. My horse has no interest in any 'toys' that don't have a food component. How about a 'slow feeder' for hay too, so it takes forever to eat it all?

I need to read more carefully -- didn't see the part about toys without treats. Since my one horse was diagnosed as insulin resistant, I had to stop with treats, so had a devil of a time finding toys that were interesting for him. But I started just giving him the empty jugs, and he will play with those anyway. I'll also take those same toys that take treats and just put some hay in them, and he'll mess around getting the hay out. Took one of his jolly balls and tied a rope on it, and it entertains him for hours (watch him at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5lyv37ye3E). But he's a special guy...none of my other ones are that easily entertained!

Exclamation

So I talked to my vet and they said he can actually have toys with treats now. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier to entertain him!! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tongue Twister Horse Toy (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...ds=755682645)?! It has good reviews on Dover but I have never actually seen one or known anyone who has had one.

I am also interested in maybe purchasing a treat ball for the ground. Between the "Amazing Graze" and the "Nose-It" which one would you all recommend for a horse on stall rest?!

Amazing Graze: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16270
    Nose-It: http://www.nose-it.com/

Last, has anyone heard anything about the new treat line "Cookies With A Clue"?? My horse recently has colic surgery (hence the stall rest and nervousness about treat toys) and I came across this treat (http://www.kamanimalservices.com/coo...elly-bites.php). They are pretty pricey which is why I am apprehensive about purchasing them without a review.

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks everyone

I love my Amazing Graze! When my horse was on stall rest for 10 weeks I used it everyday! if you stuff some hay in it it will take longer for the treats to come out. I used everything from apples and carrots to hay cubes and packer pellets in it. Just watch out, I found a dead mouse in it once. I've have mine for three years and it's held up very well, but it is really loud and does make the horse move around a lot because some horses kick/paw at it instead of using just their nose. So if your horse is recovering from a front leg injury it might not be a good choice

I would love to hay a Nose it! It's on my Christmas list, but since my horse is now on pasture board I don't really need one.

I've never seen a horse play with a jolly ball, but my dogs sure love them!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

No experience with the Nose-it, but I fourth (fifth?) the Amazin' Graze. Several horses in my barn have used it for stall rest, including mine, and it can keep them busy for hours. Even better since you just need hay cubes, and if they can have alfalfa, it's pretty inexpensive. Plus, they are pretty indestructible and easy to move (no hanging from rafters or drilling in the walls).

Another horse, not on stall rest, is kept busy with Uncle Jimmy's Hangin Balls. Kind of messy, but it's like crack for horses. Out in pasture, the other horses lick the sticky stuff off his face.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

I've never seen a horse with the Jolly Ball either, just the dogs. My horse lives outside 24/7, but once he was in jail behind the little barn because he was caught jumping over the fence to eat the neighbor's grass. One windy day the farrier beat me out there and caught him playing with a cheap white plastic chair that had blown into the paddock. So I ran out and bought him a Jolly Ball. He never even sniffed it. The dogs had a great time, though.

Tongue Twister -- I've had it in my stalls in the past, and it was okay, not great. They eat the little lik-its pretty darn fast, and my one horse figured out how to pull the lik-it out (plastic pan and all) and then would eat it in nothing flat. It would be low on my list of diversions.

I much prefer the nose-it to the amazing graze. The nose-it being flat sided means it won't roll under the fence, where the AG will. I can put regular size cookies or carrot pieces or even pellets in the nose-it but for the AG have to use big stuff -- the hole is just too large. They also have to spend more time getting stuff out of the nose-it than the AG. And my Samsonite Luggage Gorilla horse has not destroyed either -- where he has demolished another hardy toy (the Stubbs Rock-n-Roll).

On the jolly balls-- mine didn't like them either until I cut the hole in it and put cookies in. They all love it. Since the one guy is IR, he got the "new" jolly ball on a rope, and loves it (as posted previously). But again...he's "speshul" and not all of them would be so easily entertained.

No experience with the cookies you mentioned -- I'll have to check them out. I've been mostly making my own cookies lately, but always like to look for inspiration for new combinations!

I discovered another type of stall toy today: a loaf of VERY stale french bread! We'd forgotten we bought it, and it was hard as a rock. I took it to the barn to feed to the chickens, but offered Keebler a sniff to see what he'd do. He was intrigued by the smell, but didn't really care to eat any, so I drilled a hole in the loaf and tied it up with a hay string. He plays with it a little, but still doesn't seem to want to eat it, and I suspect it will last a day or two before the dog figures out how to steal it or it becomes gross.

As to horses not playing with Jolly Balls, I would have agreed until yesterday, when I caught my colt mauling the ancient one that's been rolling around in our paddock for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	30962  
    Click here before you buy.

Has anyone tried an "Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Ball" ??? My horse has to be inside a lot during the summers, and he gets very bored. He loves the ungle Jimmy's treats. I've always wanted to try this. He either ignores his himalayan salt block or buries it under his shavings so he doesn't have to deal with it.

A friend of mine has a friesian addicted to lickits...I think she may have purchases stock in the company from purchasing so many of those lickits...only problem is, her horse is a cribber and he cribs on the lickits.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    My mule thinks his regularly-replaced plastic gallon milk jug filled with a few rocks that clatter around is the best thing in the entire world. I'm sure he wakes up the other horses playing with it all night, but it keeps him from getting into other trouble! One will last him about a week before it's too mushed to make any more good noises, and lucky for him that's the rate that my house goes through milk!
    I was going to suggest this as well. I've seen quite a few horses that just LOVE this as a toy.

I would also consider putting his hay in a small-hole hay net, so he will spend a lot of time occupied eating.

Good luck!