The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question for those of you with Horse Guard fences

Have you had any trouble with the horses being able to see the fence at night? We just finished installing our Horse Guard fencing and I am please with how visibile it is during the day. However, I have one section of fence that is JUST horse guard (no boards or other more visible fencing) and it seems like it is would be hard to see at night compared to my board fencing. I was thinking of getting of a few extra of those blinking lights to put on that fence line, just to give the horses a better idea of where the fence line is at night. Am I being paranoid?

We've had horseguard fencing for about 8 years. I've never had a problem with it like you described. Good Luck. PS - If you call the customer service after hours you get to speak to the head guy in France. He is very very knowledgeable. You could always speak to him if you are still worried. Hope that helps.

ytr45, is yours the brown and green tape? Part of the problem may just be me. I have pretty bad night vision myself, so maybe the horses can see it better than me.

Horses do have better night vision than we do, in general.

I have had the brown tape for 8 years now and have never had any cause for concern about them not seeing it in the dark.

We have brown tape.

ok, I feel better now. I'm probably just being an anxious mother. I am bringing the horses home this weekend after 7 years of boarding and I really want everything to be as safe as possible.

I have the brown HG tape for my cross fencing and never worried they can't see it at night. I can see it with no outside lights on when I do night checks. I haven't had anything too terribly young (2 years old at the youngest) but a couple of them are pretty dumb, and never had an issue!

Green tape, coming on 12 years, never had a night vision problem.

Keep the power turned on.

I've had nothing but horseguard for nearly 10 years, with no boards, just plain T posts and wooden posts for the verticals and 2 strand horseguard for the horizontals. Horses are out 24 x 7 and have no problems. In reality, if you stay outside for a while with no light your eyes adapt pretty quickly. It's rarely "that" dark that you can't see anything. So, just as you likely know your way around your house with no lights on, they pretty quickly work out the way around their fields.

I have raised my 18 month old from birth in brown HG tape. The ONLY issue with it was his first time out when he simply didn't understand that barriers are there for a reason LOL It wasn't about not seeing it.

We have used brown HG tape for 12 years. No issue with horses not seeing it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

It is not just that they can "see" the tape, they "know" it is there! That is the beauty of electric fence, once swacked by it they remember. We have miles of Horse Guard, fencing in all sexes/ages and have had very few escapes and NO injuries. We have white because it is easier for us to see and thus easier to check the fence. And we like the look of it too!