The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default beginner questions

Ok guys, so I posted previously that I am in the process of getting back into the saddle full time. My hunter princess self is going to be finding herself on the dark side this time.

So I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I have the extra cash now, so Im going to attempt to start looking into what I need apparel wise for eventing. I have 4 gorgeous jackets from hunterland, but no black ones. I know I will only be doing lower level stuff, but I have sadly gained some weight since my last endeavor in hunterland, so I will most likely need a new jacket anyway.

So my questions...

1. Do I have it correct that "dressage coats" have more buttons than hunter coats? do I need one with all those buttons or can I get a black version of my kind of jacket?? What about pattern on the jacket?

2. Colors? Can there be any piping in a color? What about a colored lining? Is that a no-go in eventing?

3. Shirts? I cant wear my colored shirts, right? If I want to do it right, do I have to do white? What about style?? Am I correct that the shirts for dressage are short sleeved zip up types?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I know Ill be doing low level local stuff so I probably don't need to change up, but I am going to get started on adding to the closet.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post
    Ok guys, so I posted previously that I am in the process of getting back into the saddle full time. My hunter princess self is going to be finding herself on the dark side this time.

So I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I have the extra cash now, so Im going to attempt to start looking into what I need apparel wise for eventing. I have 4 gorgeous jackets from hunterland, but no black ones. I know I will only be doing lower level stuff, but I have sadly gained some weight since my last endeavor in hunterland, so I will most likely need a new jacket anyway.

So my questions...

1. Do I have it correct that "dressage coats" have more buttons than hunter coats? do I need one with all those buttons or can I get a black version of my kind of jacket?? What about pattern on the jacket?

2. Colors? Can there be any piping in a color? What about a colored lining? Is that a no-go in eventing?

3. Shirts? I cant wear my colored shirts, right? If I want to do it right, do I have to do white? What about style?? Am I correct that the shirts for dressage are short sleeved zip up types?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I know Ill be doing low level local stuff so I probably don't need to change up, but I am going to get started on adding to the closet.
    I think you're over thinking the fashion end of eventing. You can wear any light colored breeches and darkish jacket. If you want a dressage jacket, there are some very inexpensive ones out there and almost all of them have colored linings. They tend to be a bit longer and cover more of what you don't want anyone to see at least in my case, which is why I like them. I actually wear my polo shirt under my stock tie, so I don't have to change for xc or stadium. If you're doing a one day you don't have to wear a jacket. Clean and neat appropriate attire is the key and you sound like you have common sense about that.

I would focus more on equipment, like protective boots for horsey and tack also approved helmet and vest. Get really good at the nitty gritty stuff, so when you move up you will be a pro. When I started out a few years ago at unrecognized events, I used studs and people actually made fun of me. Guess what? It's called practice and what better place to practice than a low key unrec event. AT the reg chmpshps I wizzed out my first pair of studs and put in bigger ones in record time when the snow and ice hit. I like to stay safe and have my horse safe and happy, so I'm an equipment maven.

You can look up the rules for attire in USEA, but it's pretty straight forward, have fun is the key (easy to say, hard to do sometimes)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post

So my questions...

I agree with all of the other poster's comments. It's more about safety and fun. The thing with the dressage shirts, especially if you are doing a one day is that the less times you have to change clothes the better. So some people wear a shirt that will work for all three phases. The other thing is sometimes there isn't a lot of time between phases so again the less clothes changing the better. And yes most eventers wear a white shirt for dressage unless it's a shirt that can be hidden by a stocktie.

I'm with the other poster focus on the things your horse will need and the safety gear. A safety vest is a requirement, as well as a medical armband and a well fitting helmet. You can't compete in the jumping phases without them.

Well, I have to ask and maybe I missed this part, but do you have a current and competing instructor? I don't mean hunter. I ask because eventing goes through rule changes occasionally and unless you live with or are really close to Janet, you need to be up on "stuff." This probably won't affect you at lower level, but I always like to know what's going on.

I like to pick my instructors brain for ideas, questions and general information and since she was pretty big at one time, she has all the answers. . . I don't always agree, but I always get a solid and reasonable answer. And although she doesn't compete anymore, she is really up on everything.

Vest. More specifically, one that meets the new Beta standard. Your correctly- fitting helmet is good enough. Get a stretchy cover if you like coordinating.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Actually, the next best thing other than being "Janet" is to own a copy of the rules and actually read them. I also have to put in a plug for Charles Owen, I wore my new helmet yesterday for the first time since replacing my other one (replacement courtesy of a fall at a HT.) I was also wearing a CO vest (ballistic type) and never felt a thing on impact.

Jackets are not necessary for a recognized one day or unrecognized, but if you want to get one, you can get a nice dressage coat that fits well for a reasonable price. I have one from RJ Classics that's wonderful. Dressage coats have 4 buttons, hunter show coats have 3. But if you think you could be going back & forth between disciplines, you can get a black or navy show coat and use it between the disciplines. People do it all the time. Or try one of the great new soft shell coats that are washable and easy to wear and very stretchy. A nice stock tie, untied or pretied, is customary if you wear a jacket but do not wear a stock if you don't wear a coat.

Definitely focus on safety equipment. You need a good helmet, a vest, medical armband, good boots for the horse, etc. Many people wear a polo shirt for all 3 phases so they don't have to change. White is the safest. Or wear white for dressage and change to your colors for jumping. Beige breeches are more common than white at the one-day events, but white is ok. Full seat or knee patch, whatever you want. Dress boots are customary at the upper levels but field boots are fine at lower levels. Hunter hair is fine but so is a showbow. Square saddle pads are the norm, matching colors are fine for xc and usually white for dressage. Breastplates are acceptable. NO STANDING MARTINGALE although running marts are fine for jumping. Bits are restricted so check with your trainer or read the rule book. As mentioned above, it's best to have an experienced trainer to work with, both for training reasons and to deal with the many complex rules that rival the US tax code.

Have fun!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Actually, the next best thing other than being "Janet" is to own a copy of the rules and actually read them.
    bolding mine but important. Anyone can become "Janet"... just buy or print out a copy of the rules and READ THEM.

I too would vote for skipping a new jacket (unless as you say you need one for size purposes) and buy equipment. At the lower levels, it won't matter if it's a hunter style or dressage style (in fact, it won't matter at any level).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Thank you all for the responses. I should have been more specific here.

We are pretty far off at the moment before any competitions. Im just starting to bring the new mount back into work from a long long time off (as in raced until 5yro in 2004, stood stud until 2010, gelded in 2010, and has been sitting ever since). I also have the safety stuff. I won't be getting a new helmet if I can avoid it, so that is going to come with me from hunter land but I have a vest and enough boots/tack/etc to dress an army of horses for war thanks to a long love of needing to purchase anything and everything in pink. I have my gpa from hunterland, and a skull cap and vest from galloping on the racetrack. However, we will be going in oakbark tack for a long time I would think. Thats not something I can see changing much anytime soon. I showed pretty heavily in my jr years and have kept pretty much every pair of boots and piece of tack I ever bought.

Speaking of instructors, Im not currently with anyone simply because Im just bringing this horse back to work. We are far off from even starting to jump at the current moment. The plan was to get him going and fit again before adding the trainer in. I dont even have a hunter trainer to go back to here, so hopefully we can find a good eventing person to ride with when we get there. However, right now I am doing general restarting the OTTB work, which is something I have done many times now.

As for keeping my old jackets.. they really are too tiny at the moment, but are also all light grey and light brown. Im focusing on the clothing part right now because I have a pretty hefty store credit i need to spend and all this place sells is clothing. As well as a long story story short, retail therapy seems helpful given one of those pesky life mishaps that pop up now and again :/ .

Thanks for the help though guys. I know I am ahead of myself, but it is something that I can work on now as I sit here on the computer. The horse and I have a long way to go before we will put any of it to use, but Id like to be ready when we get there.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Ok. Well, if you want to spend that store credit on a jacket, if you can only get one, I'd get a hunter cut jacket as it is easier to pull double-duty than a dressage coat. Any dark color will work -- black, brown, navy, charcoal... and if there's a colored lining, so be it.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Really. It's eventing. It's fine. We are not princesses (well, most of us). Boyd Martin competes in a grey jacket so....

I'm not being sarcastic, but just read the rulebook for eventing. As long as it fits within those parameters, no one cares. Honestly. I use a navy blue pad for dressage. I'm sure the DQ's would choke in horror, which would be funny to see actually. It's all within the rules, so it's fine.

I'll bite.

I use my light navy jacket for SJ and usually wear a white or baby blue show shirt with wrap collar. If its hot I wear a short sleeve tech shirt.

I bought myself a dressage jacket. If you want a really popular one, the pikeur Diana is in style. I found a nice European one on craiglist...it is longer than my show coats.

Hope that helps. I have a lot more hunter clothes than eventing clothes...so I just make it work.

I have a navy blue dressage jacket with yellow piping on the pockets and collar, with maroon lining and yellow and maroon pinestrips with brass buttons...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...4joy/trot4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...2sp1040546.jpg

You can have colored piping, pinstripes, etc, I've seen people with rhinestones on their jackets.

Buy what you like/think is pretty. I bought my jacket on a whim and I love it.

I also have a plain navy, hunter style jacket that I usually just wear for stadium also.
    At schooling shows around here, most of the time, we don't even have to wear show clothes, Maybe invest in some nice clothing items for schooling shows as well, depending on how much your store credit is?
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"