The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I was JUST thinking of that when I braided the other day. "Keep an eye on the bottom line!"
    Could you elaborate on what this means, exactly?

It doesn't matter if the size of the bump in the braids varies, but it is vital that the braids are dead even along the BOTTOM of the line of braids. It is very noticeable if even one s a little longer or shorter than the others.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

^ The idea is that you want the bottom of all the braids to create a smooth visual line, even if you have to vary the amount of bump you put in when you tie the braid.

LaurieP- jinx!

;-)
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

Thanks! I braided well when I was working with my coach, but I haven't braided a mane in yearrrs. An opportunity to learn all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Thanks! I braided well when I was working with my coach, but I haven't braided a mane in yearrrs.
    It will come right back to you. It's just like riding a bicycle. Except your hands hurt instead of your legs.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

It will come right back to you. It's just like riding a bicycle. Except your hands hurt instead of your legs.
    And just like riding a bike after years away, all those body parts are older and creakier!

Like everyone said, it's the bottom line that counts first and most. After that I think it's learning to deal with the whispies and different mane types, and developing that speed skill of just automatically knowing when to tie off the knot so you have that even line. I had a few tricks to help reduce the actual counting of crosses, but all the "real" braiders (I just picked up the overflow to help pay show expenses) could just see when they were are the right place (hence the reason they could do 11-16 manes a night and it killed me to do 8).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

http://topknothorsebraids.blogspot.c...nal-horse.html

Braiding DVD- mane's, tails and more. There are loads of free tips/pics on the blog as well. $35 with free shipping.

Happy braiding!

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    And just like riding a bike after years away, all those body parts are older and creakier!
    Too true! And your balance doesn't usually improve with age, on the bike or the ladder.

I don't know if it's a relatively recent development, but I never heard of the "counting crosses" thing until maybe the last decade or so. I've always just eyeballed it.

if you count (correctly and don't go all ADD not that I've ever done that) it saves time undoing crosses to get that clean line. Being able to eyeball it as you go along is much faster but I did survey a few braiders (so we are talking an n of possibly 4 here) and it seems 50/50 for counting versus WTF are you talking about? But when you start out, it's a good trick to make the job look a bit better with less rework, I think.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK, what was the average age of the braiders in your survey? Just curious, as it does seem like a relatively recent method. Though I can imagine that anything that helps with uniformity when someone is learning would be a plus.

I could reveal their ages, but they might kill me! Pretty much all of them had been braiding for a while though (no newbies in the group)

I never counted and just used feel/eyeball, until about two years ago. Then I started to count and my braids improved dramatically, especially the bottom line. I can count and listen to a podcast or carry on a conversation, so that is a skillset, too! LOL!

But, I am not as fast as the pros. Maybe that is why...
    Laurie

The counting really only works though if you've got a good mane that's consistent top-to-bottom. If you do one that has thick or thin patches (especially if you always take the same width section of hair), then counting your twists won't give you an even line of knots. The thick braids will have low knots while the thin little weasly braid will have a high knot.

I used to think that, too, but I recently did nine strange (to me) horses in one night, manes all over the scale in thickness, and counting crosses worked perfectly everywhere but the skimpy wither hair. I can see where a REALLY bad mane might be a problem, but a mane in that bad condition would be addressed by the braider in most cases.
    Laurie

Then either I'm stuck with rotten manes, or I'm not doing it quite right! I'll have to try counting again and see what happens.

I'm curious now, too. I might have to try the counting thing, though I definitely have concerns about the ADD issue.

So you count how many crosses before you add yarn, then how many until you tie the knot? That would be a lot of numbers for my little brain.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I count crosses before adding yarn- I always start with right over centre, and go down 4 crosses and add yarn. Since my guy's mane is pretty even, it makes the braids about the same length, and then I do try and even up the knots like Ruthann suggests on the Lucky Braid DVD. I have alsdo recently bought a "tail comb"- one like a hair dresser uses and find the tail is good for helping separate the sections out cleanly and the comb sits tightly in the rest of the hair keeping it out of the way while I do the braid I'm working on.

I'm curious now, too. I might have to try the counting thing, though I definitely have concerns about the ADD issue.

So you count how many crosses before you add yarn, then how many until you tie the knot? That would be a lot of numbers for my little brain.
    I tried to count, would be bored, lose my place, and get frustrated If you can focus I dont have any doubt it's helpful.

I just braid and check every couple. When needed I have been able to move my knot up or down accordingly. Took a while to get that feel though!