The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Somerset and Washington county Pa

Can anyone give me any information about the horse scene in and around Somerset and Washington county Pa? Good places to board and a good vet and farrier to use. After working in and around Pittsburgh and looking for a place to board I have come to the conclusion that I can not afford the board for my that is close to the city but leaving him in Virginia for another year is not an option either. I am hoping to be able to find something affordable if I look a little further out. Any help you guys could give me would be great!
    Ann
    ~\"Think today so you will be here to think tomorrow\" Burma Shave~

You have a PM

I live in Somerset County and love it here. Beautiful and fairly low cost of living compared to the 'burgh. Downside is the total lack of horswe activity as far as hunters. I need to haul at least a couple of hours to show rated and there are very few hunter schooling shows close by. A rare clinic may occur but again, a haul. If you Pony Club there are a few fairly close and if you foxhunt, Rolling Rock is not far. Lot of people event a there are one or two mini trials but again, off to Ohio or VA or MD. Trail riding you have it made. Lots of places thru the mountains and the rails to trails are common.
    Spruce Run Equine is a pretty good vet service but no hospital. There is another vet, Brown who does surgery but not all kinds. Ohio, New Bolton, and Marion duPont are three hours or more away. Super good farriers are rare and I am lucky to have one of the best with Mike Smith and he is not easy to get with since he is so busy unless you are in a barn he already does.
    Turnpike runs right past Somerset so easy to get to where you are going but it takes me about and hour and half to two hours to get to Pittsburgh, a bit longer if it is rush hour.
    One small tack shop not too far in Indiana county and some further away but seems more of us use cataloges these days! Tractor Supply stores have fly spray and clipper blades and the like if you need something right away.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or if I can help you with anymore info.

Thanks for the information, keep it coming! While I would love to be in an event or hunter barn I am not against a good back yard type barn. Good care and someone who will understand that sometimes I will be around a lot and other times I wouldn’t be there much at all is the most important thing to me.
    Ann

Bumping this up one last time!
    Ann

Bear, what part of Somerset County are you looking at? My barn is full at the moment and that is why I didn't recommend me!