The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Minocycline for Lyme treatment?

I just did a search on here and was surprised not to fine anything on treating Lyme with minocycline. I am on my second go round and have been told that minocycline is more expensive but easier for a horse to absorb. Anyone have anyknowledge or opinions about this?

My vet told me about this earlier this year. Don't know any more than that.

I was interested to hear about it. I had to put a horse down a couple of years ago because the lyme went to his brain--at least that is what we think happened.

Well, I guess we are the only 2 that know about it...nobody else?

I don't have anything for you, other than they use minocycline to treat acne in humans - weird, eh?

Both the Lyme doctors I saw used minocycline in their treatment plan. It's been a while, but I believe it's one of the few oral antibiotics than can cross the blood/brain barrier. Don't quote me on that, because I may not remember that part correctly. But, it did help for brain fog.

Don't know anything about its use for horses though.

EDTA: Now you have me interested. I found this article:
    http://www.abraveq.com.br/artigos_weva2009/416.pdf

And this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20807146
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not heard of this, I'm currently treating with Doxy. Will ask the vet next time I see her.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Minocycline

Minocycline is indeed better absorbed than doxy. In fact, doxycycline has been shown to be absorbed at rates as low as 3-9%. The treatment of choice for Lyme disease is an initial course of IV oxytetracycline, followed by a course of minocycline. Doxy has gained popularity because it's inexpensive, easy to obtain and use, and related to oxytetracycline chemically. But the lack of absorption is a real problem. Not only does it not reach effective levels in the bloodstream or in the target tissue, the high percentage that remains in the gut predisposes to GI bacterial imbalance and colitis. Admittedly that risk is not high, but it's there. So why does it seem to work in many cases? Because all of the oxytet-like antibiotics also have a mild anti-inflammatory effect; they make a horse feel better. Doxy just doesn't treat the actual disease.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was under the impression that IV oxytet was the recommended treatment.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

2 1/2 years ago I treated my then 16 y.o. gelding with a six week course of powdered doxy. He has shown absolutely no symptoms since.

Unhappy

WalkTrot, I am so glad you had a good out come with powered Doxy. I have known others that have had good results from Doxy... but, I don't believe it helps all horses (or people). I think it depends greatly on how long the infection has been in the body and possibly on body chemistry. I won't be surprised if down the road it is found that here are different strains of Lyme.
    Lyme is running rampant where I live in PA. I had to put one horse down that had Lyme. This was after months on Doxy. My belief is that it went into his spinal cord where he also had kissing spines. I have a 5 yr. old now that has been diagnosed, he was not symptomatic, but I have treated him with 14 days of IV Oxytet and he is currently doing 30 days of Minocycline.
    Fingers are crossed that it knocks those little spirochetes out of there!
    Has anyone suffered any side effects of the long term antibiotics? My very laid back gelding is grumpy and very touchy on his sides.

Also... those that use Doxy remember to keep your eyes open for flare ups. Doxy can not wipe out Lyme. It is still there, just dormant.

I am currently treating a 7 yr old gelding (the third time) for Lymes. The first treatment was oral doxy for 30 days. He appeared better than flared up within a couple months. We then treated with Minocycline, but he isn't showing improvement yet. He is now on his second round of Minocycline...the third attempt at getting this cleared. We've tested him using the newer Cornell multiplex test. The first test indicated he was in the "chronic" stage, the second test appeared as if he had been reinfected (according to my vet). He has neurological symptoms...hypersensitive skin, much more "on edge" than his typical laid back self. The first time when he reached the "chronic" stage, he had almost epileptic like symptoms without showing any lameness or other clues. This is so very frustrating. Can anyone tell me what types of symptoms they've seen with Lyme's that has potentially entered the brain & spinal cord?

My gelding who had lyme several times was a LOGN time ago, back when Doxy was THE treatment and the Cornell test didn't exist yet. I treated with Doxy the first time (though it was unclear if the barn was ensuring he ATE all the pills) and he was sick again 6 months later. Treated AGAIN with Doxy... same thing, sick a couple of months later. Then did IV Oxytet-- no further lyme issues. I believe part of the problem with him was that it took a LONG time to get the diagnosis and then I believe he didn't get proper treatment the first time around, so the doxy stayed in his system the entire time.

Flash forward to more recently, I've treated 2 horses that tested positive to Cornell with doxy granuales from Wedgewood and had the symptoms 100% clear with no relapse going on several years.

I am convinced catching it EARLY and hitting it IMMEDIATELY with antibiotics is the key.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a horse that was diagnosed with neurologic lyme disease. It was found after extensive testing for "other" possible causes of a very mild neurologic presentation. We treated with minocycline with good success but had to treat for 6 months and was told it would likely reoccur which it did after 1 year. We are now also retreating with the minocycline. The vets I discussed this with (Big Animal Hospital) siad that the new treatment is minocycline - no oxy-tet or doxy.

I know more than I want to know about lyme disease. It can really be devistating and early detection is best but hard.

My vet doesn't use doxy anymore. They do 5 days of IV oxytet and then 30 days of minocyline. My guy had a really high chronic titer (6850) and it's within normal range after a few months after the oxytet and minocyline.

Default Lyme Disease meds and treatment

Quote Originally Posted by rnrdvm View Post
    Minocycline is indeed better absorbed than doxy. In fact, doxycycline has been shown to be absorbed at rates as low as 3-9%. The treatment of choice for Lyme disease is an initial course of IV oxytetracycline, followed by a course of minocycline. Doxy has gained popularity because it's inexpensive, easy to obtain and use, and related to oxytetracycline chemically. But the lack of absorption is a real problem. Not only does it not reach effective levels in the bloodstream or in the target tissue, the high percentage that remains in the gut predisposes to GI bacterial imbalance and colitis. Admittedly that risk is not high, but it's there. So why does it seem to work in many cases? Because all of the oxytet-like antibiotics also have a mild anti-inflammatory effect; they make a horse feel better. Doxy just doesn't treat the actual disease.
    This is exactly as described to me by my vets and by Cornell. my mare was diagnosed with chronic lyme, very high titres. I sent her to the vet clinic for 28 days of IV OxyTet followed by 30 days of Minocycline 2x a day. She is doing great now, no signs of lameness or senstitivity. We followed the vet's direction to the letter and made sure that our mare got every bit of the minocycline every time. I sent her to the vet clinic as it was best to have the iV OxyTet adminstered and monitored by trained vets and vet tech staff. It is really important that when OxyTet is given in high doses that it is administered slowly and carefully and with IV hydration. This I know full well as I am on IV meds for Rheumatoid Arthritis and this is how they are given.