The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Crossing over to the dark side *update with photos pst.22*

This hunter princess will be making the cross over to eventing now.

After loosing my horse last June, I have been pretty much out of riding. I have evented exactly two times before, with minor success, but I did have a blast doing it. I just never had the horse that enjoyed it.

Well I have been offered the ride on a spectacular horse. He's 13yro ex-tb-breeding-stallion (now gelded). Hes had one owner his entire life, purchased as a 2yro, raced successfully until 5yro, then stood stud for him until 2010. Hes never had any sort of formal retraining, but hes super willing. Ive been with him for 3 weeks now (3days a week) and hes had 2 official days undersaddle.

Im thrilled with him! Im nervous to get going fully with him, but so excited to explore a new discipline with such a great horse. Itll be new to both of us, but Im looking forward to it!

This is the big guy!
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...18385465_n.jpg
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...78477691_n.jpg

So rest assured Ill be looking for some advice in the coming months with him. It'll be a while as we have lots of getting to know eachother to do. But Im just ecstatic to get started!
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Have fun! I also converted to eventing from hunters and I really love the chance to do all three disciplines.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

How exciting! Do you mind if I ask who he is, or what his bloodlines are? What a lovely trot!

BTW, I have to let you know that my CANTER guy from last year (San Silvestro) has been super! He's jumping 3', solid novice xc like it's nothing. Thanks again for posting him here on COTH, I owe you!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

My horses and I have also made the change!! Hunters to eventing!!!

My younger boy is very green but very willing. I am hopelessly green and it has been a tough transition for me. I am hopeful I will get the courage I need to do the XC at more than a trot!!!!

However my trainer will be taking my boy in his first event in a couple of weeks. I am so excited

YEAH another is over here!!!! After a rough 3 years I finally got a horse that can do it all and I am waiting for him to arrive!!!!! You will have such a great time
    No Worries!

Thanks all! Ill try to get some photos of us togethere tomorrow when Im on him.

He is Personal First, out of Rekindling and by Personal Hope. Im really just basking in the glory of kindof having my own horse again And I must admit, I dont find his build, willingness, and mindset too shabby at all!

I have to say though that I do wish he wanted to be a hunter, but he doesn't quite have the hunter look. I think Ill always be a hunter princess deep down, but Im excited to try some new stuff and scare the bajeezus out of myself for a little

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    How exciting! Do you mind if I ask who he is, or what his bloodlines are? What a lovely trot!

BTW, I have to let you know that my CANTER guy from last year (San Silvestro) has been super! He's jumping 3', solid novice xc like it's nothing. Thanks again for posting him here on COTH, I owe you!

Gosh soooo glad hes working out!! Please send me photos! Id love to see him go! And I hope to not cross any lines but Id be thrilled to come photograph you guys for free anytime you want some pictures done! we are so close and Id love to see him in his new career!

I remember your heartbreaking story, and I'm just so happy to see you back... All the best!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

HUGE Congrats!!! He is sooooo cute!

You'll have a blast.

Welcome back to "the dark side."

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post

Gosh soooo glad hes working out!! Please send me photos! Id love to see him go! And I hope to not cross any lines but Id be thrilled to come photograph you guys for free anytime you want some pictures done! we are so close and Id love to see him in his new career!

I'd love some good photos! I still drool over the ones you took last year... somehow my pics never make him look that good! (He's amazing, just not in my photos, lol). I'm planning to take him to Octoberfest at KHP. Here's a recent jumping video. I've since renamed him "All Aboard," keeping with his sire Silver Train.

I can definitely see the Northern Dancer in Personal First-- with that huge engine, I bet he has a great jump!

Anytime you want a buddy to go to Masterson, PM me. I'm always looking for a friend to school and hack around with!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    I'd love some good photos! I still drool over the ones you took last year... somehow my pics never make him look that good! (He's amazing, just not in my photos, lol). I'm planning to take him to Octoberfest at KHP. Here's a recent jumping video. I've since renamed him "All Aboard," keeping with his sire Silver Train.

I can definitely see the Northern Dancer in Personal First-- with that huge engine, I bet he has a great jump!

Anytime you want a buddy to go to Masterson, PM me. I'm always looking for a friend to school and hack around with!
    Consider me your personal photographer for the day! I'll be there already to photograph for a couple of friends. Please pm me your number and ride times when you get them. And I'll absolutely accept a friend to hack out with! I think he's pretty far off from that point as of now but hopefully sooner rather than later.

And I wouldn't mind meeting you at the farm or masterson or anywhere if you want a photoshoot day. Besides school and breaking yearlings I'm pretty free and always in town. Just shoot me a pm!

And just watched the video... He looks great! Man is he a powerhouse!

Welcome to the Dark Side. We'll send someone over to teach you the secret handshake. Prepare to have so much fun. Your horse looks awesome!

And EventerAJ, great video. Terrific job with your horse's adjustability

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We'll send someone over to teach you the secret handshake. Prepare to have so much fun. Your horse looks awesome!

And EventerAJ, great video. Terrific job with your horse's adjustability
    I was just thinking the same thing. I really like that wide X, it can be jumped so many different ways.

And Fleur, WELCOME!!!!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

ohmagosh he is gorgeous!!!

Fleur, I'm so sorry to hear about your girl I took a break from COTH for a while, must have missed that thread. So glad to know you've gotten back into it with an awesome boy though! Just curious, does he act studdy at all from being gelded so late? I know that once a stallion breeds a mare, it can be a lot more difficult for them after they've been gelded.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

AJ... loved the video!! You and the pony looked great and it gave me some more ideas on working with the 6yo. Had thought about Octoberfest, but it's expensive in comparison so I'm really not sure I'll make it this year (LAZ's event 2 weeks before is literally half the price, and I've heard decent things about the Walnut Creek PC mini trial the weekend after as far as it being relatively inexpensive too).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    ohmagosh he is gorgeous!!!

Fleur, I'm so sorry to hear about your girl I took a break from COTH for a while, must have missed that thread. So glad to know you've gotten back into it with an awesome boy though! Just curious, does he act studdy at all from being gelded so late? I know that once a stallion breeds a mare, it can be a lot more difficult for them after they've been gelded.

I will say that is my biggest worry. He overall acts very studdly with nipping. But so far he hasn't put a foot wrong when "working". He's yet to be ridden next to any other horses. He does get all about himself when it comes to the long walk from his barn to the round pen inbetween paddocks of horses. But it's just prancing and he's improving a ton. He doesn't call out or do anything bad. I gues sill be seeing what happens soon enough.

And I'll add that he went from standing a stud, being gelded in the fall then turned out for almost 2 years with minimal handing (just care handling, no retraining). So I did expect worse.

*And I said sorry about your girl, misread your first post, thought you said something about a mare. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    *And I said sorry about your girl, misread your first post, thought you said something about a mare. My apologies.
    Thank you so much. Actually coth helped me through te loss of both my old girl who really was my heart horse, and then the loss of my youngster gelding just a short 2yrs after that. I was able to Hang on in the saddle after the first one but really that's when it stopped being fun

Love to hear the great news about finding a mount.

And AJ, I just wanted to also compliment you on the adjustability of your horse and how well you manage him. Oh, and that wide X is amazing...definitely setting up one of those!