The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a Brenderup...What Do I Need to Know?

I'm thinking of buying a Brenderup. This would more or less be a second trailer (primary trailer for me, but second trailer for me & my mother). I've been reading a lot of threads on Brenderups, doing research, etc., but I've still got some questions:

Does one have to replace the inertia brakes at some point? If so, how does one know when?

Any worries with the floor and what to look for/ask about?

What's the availability of parts? Are they easy to get?

Can any competent trailer repair person fix these, or are they more of a specialized thing?

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

PS - I'm not looking for opinions if these are safe, "I would never buy one," etc., etc. In reading past threads, it looks like lots of the Brenderup topics turn into those types of things!

I had a B-up for 8 years, here's what I can tell you from my experience.

In that time the only brake problem I had was that the hand brake cable siezed up a couple times. Always in the winter; I lived in the north so it got some rust, etc. Sometimes I could get it undone by a bit of moving forward and back. Once I had it towed on a flatbed for repair.
    I had to replace tires at one point; couldn't find the exact size so had to get "something close" but they worked.
    Never had a floor problem...
    In about year 7 the hydraulic thingys on the ramp went; I ordered replacements from distributor and was able to do them myself (with helper).
    I was ALWAYS able to find people who knew how to fix things- any decent trailer place.
    I loved mine and so did the first two horses, both quite big. The most recent addition scrambled on corners and much prefers to ride sideways, so I traded it in for a slant load.

Re parts: I found the following online: (from May 2012)
    Received:
    Hi Jeff, we will be taking over for Jay Martin to sell Brenderup parts here in the USA. We have been selling Brenderup Trailers since 1998 and know them well. If you need anything for your Brenderup, feel free to contact us by phone or email. We are just starting out so please have patience as we are waiting for our first parts to arrive.
    Andy

--
    Rita and Andy Kaulbach
    Mountain Top Trailer Sales
    454 West Main St
    Tilton, NH 03276
    1-603-494-9787 Andy
    1-603-493-8057 Rita
    www.mountaintoptrailers.com
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I had a friend who had a Brenderup sit in a repair shop for six months because they could not, for love or money, get a simple part to fix the brake.

She has the trailer back now, so maybe the part pipeline issue is fixed, but I'm serious -- six months in the shop.

A friend of mine just got parts from those people in NH, so that seems to be working now.

You need to check the floors with a screwdriver to make sure there is no softening, ESPECIALLY around the edges. Your screwdriver should not sink in at all. If there is softening you can have a boat place inject a product like git-rot. PM me if you need more info. good luck.

I owned a Brenderup for 12 years. Just sold it this spring because I needed a bigger trailer. I still miss that Brenderup!

I never had any brake issues. I did replace the floor once. It really needs to be done by someone familiar with Brenderups. Parts access seems to have been solved.

Ytr45 is right about checking the floor, particularly in the corners by the ramp for softness. GitRot or a similar marine product does work very well.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Our Brenderup is at least 15 years old now. Still has original everything-you have to be careful about keeping the floor clean and dry. The only complaint I have is how heavy the mats are, and Dad's only complaint is he would rather have power brakes, but he considers it a minor quibble as otherwise it's a picnic to haul, turn, and park, even with the new SUV (we had E-series vans when we bought it, now Dad has a 2010 Explorer, which handles it just fine.)

I'd discuss this with someone familiar with repairing them. Are they even available on the market anymore? Can parts be found? I had a very disturbing experience in one with two big horses in another person's trailer - started to fishtail badly being pulled by a Suburban. Not for me, at all.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Kisstherain -

One thing Brenderup owners have to contend with is fears and stories from people who have never pulled one. For some reason, dually driving, big box pulling commenters get bent out of shape about brenderups and you will be told all manner of bs.

Mine pulls like it is on rails and has never done any sort of fish tailing.

LOVE my Brup. It is 6 yrs old, never had a bit of problems. I do keep it greased, tires rotated once a year, and pull up my mats when I am not using it.

My friends is just over 10 yrs old, and is in perfect condition.

Since they are not metal, they do not have the normal rust issues.

I think it is best to pull up the mats to keep the water from sitting on the floor.

FYI - For mats, this works GREAT!! I can pull and flip the mats in a min or two w/very little work.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ez-grip...er/p/X1-27511/

Would work great for stall mats too.

Anyways, I can vouch how good it hauls. Honestly, there are times when I am hauling two horses that I kinda forget it is back there.

I have never had it ever fishtail either. Perhaps if it did actually happen, the driver was driving like an idiot, lol.

They last a LONG time. I hope to have my trailer for many, many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post

I have never had it ever fishtail either. Perhaps if it did actually happen, the driver was driving like an idiot, lol.

They last a LONG time. I hope to have my trailer for many, many years.
    Yep, Dad's said it's like not hauling anything, loaded down with horse or with stuff (he used it to haul my brother's stuff to Florida from Michigan, so it's been down over Appalachians and back.) Never had any issues even on the mountain highways.

And ours sat idle for about five years after we moved my old horse to the farm and after he died, until we needed to move Lucky. Not a bad spot in it--we just dusted it out, got new tires (weather damage from being outdoors), and went.

Also not sure about this fishtailing comment. I pulled mine with a Jimmy and then a Suburban. I have a 17.1 hand Oldenburg, as well as Fjords who have plenty of heft where they lack height. The Brenderup was easy to haul with in all kinds of terrain and all kinds of conditions.

I now own a 3 horse KB which is more suitable for my needs, but it does not haul anywhere as easily as my Brenderup. Believe me, if I could have rationalized a way to keep both trailers, I would have. Or if Brenderup made a 3 horse model, I would have bought it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Ironwood, Fautras makes a three horse...

You guys calling me a liar?? I was THERE. Driver was driving normally in the slow lane of the freeway. Likely the mare snarked at the gelding, gelding moved suddenly, trailer lurched. It's nothing to me, but it did happen, and ended safely.

kisstherain, I'm another happy Brenderup owner. My only advice (other than "Ditto what others have said") is to consider whether Brenderup should be the only purchase option you look at. The St. Georges trailers are extremely similar to Brenderup, but they're so new to the US market that you pretty much have to buy them new. I love my B'up Solo and expect to get many more happy years out of it, but if and when it does, I feel good knowing the St. Georges will be there to pick up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You guys calling me a liar?? I was THERE. Driver was driving normally in the slow lane of the freeway. Likely the mare snarked at the gelding, gelding moved suddenly, trailer lurched. It's nothing to me, but it did happen, and ended safely.
    Earlier you said the trailer "fishtailed badly" but now you say it just lurched...?

I think almost any trailer could fishtail in high enough winds or something, but I've never had a problem with my Brenderup - I've owned it since 2007.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Say what you want - but there is a level of rudeness on an internet board that seems to be lower than what one would say face to face. COTH collects its share.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Say what you want - but there is a level of rudeness on an internet board that seems to be lower than what one would say face to face. COTH collects its share.
    Wow, talk about pots and kettles!
    OP SPECIFICLY stated she did not want any such: She said: "PS - I'm not looking for opinions if these are safe, "I would never buy one," etc., etc. In reading past threads, it looks like lots of the Brenderup topics turn into those types of things!"

Guess she was right.

I have considered a BU, but do not know what type of vehicle will pull it....... sedans, really? WHat about a Chevy Equinox?

L

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I have considered a BU, but do not know what type of vehicle will pull it....... sedans, really? WHat about a Chevy Equinox?
    You'll find this link helpful, but in short yes, a Chevy Equinox is well above the minimum specs:
    http://www.theydeservethebest.com/brenderup/towing.html

If you plan to pull this kind of trailer, budget for a good-quality transmission cooler in your tow vehicle unless your tow vehicle is already equipped with one. That's not a snark remark, btw--just a recommendation from Brenderup USA to me when I bought my first B'up, and I think a very reasonable and smart one.

Yes really, you can pull them with a sedan. I did it for four years, with 168 horsepower and a 103" wheelbase. When that car died of old age at nearly 200K miles, I started pulling with a Toyota RAV4 AWD with V6 engine (which, let's face it, is a glorified car trying to look like an SUV). The RAV4 gets 268 hp and is way, way more power than I need.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Oct. 6, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

I knew one that fishtailed once, because the tire pressure was too low. We fixed it and it was fine. Other than that, never had a problem in one. I know two people that have them and love them.