The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite winter riding gloves?

It's been getting colder the last few weeks and I realized I don't have any winter gloves. I'm not sure where my pair from last year went. What kind do you recommend I get? Our winters get cold, so the warmer the better.

My daughter's instructor recommended winter golf gloves. They've worked incredibly well in Vermont at a much better price than winter riding gloves.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

For Fall and days that you just need a "little extra" warmth, I LOVE gardening gloves. They are grippy enough to be able to totally tack up the horse w/out having to take the gloves on and off. They are super cheap too.

For the times it is REALLY cold, I love the riding mittens. Keeps your fingers warmer, esp if you still one of those hand warmers in them.

ROECKL! I love their Chester gloves in the summer, and last year bought a pair of the winter gloves. They keep my hands warm enough to perspire, even through a New England winter. They're strictly for riding, their too thin for chores, but I love them.

I really like the SSG 10 Below gloves. They aren't too bulky, so you can still feel your reins, but they do keep your hands toasty.

I rode outdoors for 2 winters in these gloves - including on windy days with temps of -20 degrees Celcius (-4 F).
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.