The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hello from germany

I am in Germany to visit the DD. I have a small problem that someone here may be able to help me with. I have an iphone 4s and it supposedly has the global turned on, but it says No Service. DD has been here with her Blackberry for some time now, but it has also quit working.

To keep this horse related, we visited Lühlümlen and Sarhendorf yesterday and have been watching horses here all morning.

TIA for any help with the phones!

Not much help, just a little commiseration. DH had the same problem recently when he was in Stuttgart on business. Worked when he first arrived, then nada. Never did get the problem resolved.

Ok obvious question, did you speak to your service provider (verizon, sprint, att, whoever) and sign up for the international calling plan?

Just because a phone is global, doesnt mean you automatically have service outside your coverage area. I know as i manage the cirporate account and even when we send folks to bermuda, canada or France i have to call and set it up.

Also i am pretty sure sone of the iphones aren't global, but not sure which ones.

Good luck.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Just got back from France with an iphone 4s. Xctrygirl is right you have to turn on the feature from your provider. For verizon there were two different services, a calling, texting feature and an international data roaming service. The data service did not work for us where we were in France.

That said my phone completely stopped working at the Atlanta Airport. In order to fix it I had to reset the Network Settings but I had to find somewhere with a signal before I could do that. To reset you go to Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom to Reset then chose reset network settings. Good luck!
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

If you have NOT made arrangements for an international plan you need to turn off your roaming. If you don't and by chance get connected to a local service and get/make call you will pay very expensive roaming charges. To turn off roaming and cellular data (Wi-fi still works) go to Settings--General--Network. (That's the sequence for the 4, but I think the DH's 4s is the same or similar.)

The 4s works in Europe and the 4 does not.

Default 4 does work in Europe

Find a local computer & log into your account. Add an international data plan ASAP.

Did you check "airplane mode" on your flight? If that's still on you wont have service. My dh is in the NL right now & has full service on his 4

On the 4s it is Settings---General---Cellular---then choose roaming and then turn data roaming off.
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

yes. yes. I physically took all the phones to the local Verizon store to have them turned on for global. I spoke at length to the girl there about when and where I was going and she assured me that all was set to go. Well, it turns out not so much! There may be a cure on the way as someone went to the store and got me the info that we need to hopefully fix the problem.

In the meantime DH and I are enjoying our first vacation sans horse trailer in 25 years! Not to say that we are doing non horsey things as we are seeing plenty of horses and riding. We have been to Luhmuhlen, Sarehnendof, Nindorf and of course the farm where DD is working. There are lots of nice horses here, by the way!