The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What product for growing hair on large facial wounds?

The filly that was hung in the tree has large wounds on either side of her head on matching areas just under her ears, behind her eyes. Probably 5-6cm in diameter. They have no depth & are starting to heal. I'm concerned with growing hair over these areas.
    I've used Corona in the past for hair growth but with all the new products out there surely there's something better & less messy?
    Owner is using chlorhexadine ointment twice daily & as needed. Great for keeping it moist.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

i know this may sound crazy, but i was told by "old time" horse folk that preparation H will return hair growth........dunno, never had to try it, but it is inexpensive, and might be worth a try

Bickmore's Gall Salve will put hair back on and it will come in the correct color.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Mega tek cell rebuilder. It is amazing. And smells like piƱa colada!

I use it for tail growth and scrapes. It grows the hair back really fast.

Take a Vitamin E capsule, prick w/pin and spread on injury, repeat as needed so
    the wound stays moist. I've used this on dozens of injuries and it really does work. It's an old, old remedy.

I have use preparation H with good results. I have not use the other ones that were suggested here so not sure how it compares.

Both Prepaartion H and Vitamin E work..If you go with the Prep H, make sure you do not get it in her eyes.

thanks y'all. I'll pass this on to filly's owner.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

My horse had a horrible injury to her forehead, probably was kicked in the head. My two mares were playing and galloping and bucking, and a little while later the farm hand fed them, noticed a huge round wound, and called me. I came right out (of course it was a holiday, New Year's Eve, just before dark. The rule is that all children and animals get very ill or injured on or about 4:00 pm on a Friday or the beginning of a holiday weekend, whichever is more inconvenient and expensive) and discovered a round wound about the size and shape of a hoof. All of the flesh and skin had been scraped off to the bone. The edges were bleeding a little but it was freaky, gross, and disturbing, and I could not imagine the headache she must have had. By the time the vet arrived it was dark, so she cleaned it and stretched what was left of the pushed-to-the-side tissue over the wound and charged me $450.

A few days later it started to smell, so I called my regular vet (the other one was the on-call vet) who clipped off the dead tissue and instructed me to spray it with aluminum spray. I wish I had photos, but they were on my cell phone which was stolen last year.

My wonderful vet told me that head wounds heal very well, and boy, it was amazing. Not only did the granulation tissue fill in from the edges, making the white circle of exposed bone smaller and smaller until it was completely covered, but the hair AND THE STAR grew back! I couldn't believe that her star came back because the skin and underlying flesh had been gone! I still can hardly believe it. I know I said that already, but it was so surprising.

So, my experience is that you don't need to put anything on it except whatever the vet recommends in the way of antibiotics or aluminum spray to keep off the flies, and the hair will probably grow back just fine.

I was once told by my vet that because it is very vascular, facial tissue heals well. But doesn't Preparation H constrict blood vessels? Seems like there's conflicting advice out there w.r.t. whether blood flow is good or bad for hair regrowth.

I once went to the pasture back in the bad old days only to find my horse covered head to toe in blood like something out of a horror film. Turns out she had scraped most of the skin off one of her cheeks somehow and had a sizable laceration on the bony area above.

Anyway, at the time I used regular triple antibiotic ointment, and we had great results -- you'd never know from visual inspection that her face had once been blemished, let alone resembling something from a zombie movie. I chalked it up to the miracle of bloodflow. My inexpert hypothesis is that protecting the new skin growth probably factors into the outcome more than the chemical compounds applied to the site. I've had better luck with abrasions high on the horse regrowing normal hair than those on legs, but there aren't such clear trends w.r.t. the products I've used (Corona, triple antibiotic, and most recently chlorhexadine).

Ditto the AluShield - My Percheron had huge wounds on her face, shoulder, side and hip,.... all the hair was gone from those areas. Once the infection was gone, I just sprayed AluShield once a day. All the hair has come back and it's healed beautifully.

It was fellow COTHers that recommended it and I will never again not have a bottle in my barn.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Another option is Dermagel. Have used it on many bad wounds, including my gelding's experiment with high tensile wire (!) -- once the wound has begun to grow new skin, this product is wonderful for keeping it hydrated and healthy and growing hair back.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Ditto the AluShield - My Percheron had huge wounds on her face, shoulder, side and hip,.... all the hair was gone from those areas. Once the infection was gone, I just sprayed AluShield once a day. All the hair has come back and it's healed beautifully.

It was fellow COTHers that recommended it and I will never again not have a bottle in my barn.
    Yeah it is great stuff. Spray on is the way to go. No touching the owies, keeps flies off, and it goes on quickly.