The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can't find it in the rule book :/

Figured someone here might know or be able to point me at where I missed it.

Is it legal to wear a shirt/hoodie/anything OVER your XC vest, but UNDER your pinny? I'm having a totally petty vanity moment and fretting over my wrong-colored vest. My vest is the only significant thing I need to replace before I've fully transitioned over to barn-colors. I'll probably do that this winter, but if I can get away with a shirt OVER my vest, it might be an acceptable stop-gap solution thru the spring as well.

I know, I know - "no one cares", "you're the only one that will notice" and "it's about the ride", but damn it, I'm going with my barn, with my crew and want pictures that look nice.

My XC colours are made to go over my vest - then it doesn't matter what colour my vest is. Don't know about US rules, but its fine here and under FEI rules.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

It is perfectly acceptable to wear something over your vest in the US.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

It is just fine.

In fact, at an appropriate time and place, probably the next time I have a greenie going beginner novice, I plan to wear a hawaiian shirt over my vest with a straw hat cleverly taped to my helmet!

Just so I can say I did it!

Talking

I have seen several riders do this; IMHO it makes riders look like trolls with BIG upper bodies and teeny legs

Just remember....

If you have a fall, and they have to CUT YOUR SHIRT OFF to get your vest off, what are you wearing under the vest?

Just leaving you with that visual......

Overshirt: Acceptable but needs to have a collar. Hoodies - not.
    If you were wearing same in my warmup I would have to stop you and ask to see if your vest was in place unless I could see the outline of it under the shirt. Required to do that....so don't snap at a volunteer who may ask to see the vest to be sure it's in place. Remember, warmup is a hectic place and you need focus and calm...if something different might upset your schedule or pattern, might consider the easier alternative just for peace of mind.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I have often worn a sweater or sweatshirt over my vest and under my pinney for cross country.

For cross country, the rules require "sleeves", but do not require a collar. (Dressage and show jumping require a collar.)

I do not see anything in the rules which would bar a "hoodie".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Sweater or sweatshirt is no problem. The only problem I see with a hoodie is the hood itself. Depending on size and construction it could cover you pinny number and/or distract you by flapping about.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Yes, I don't think a hoodie would be sensible. But they aren't actually illegal, especially if you put the pinney over the hood, and it stays there.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default Hoodies on x-c?

Only in south central and Newark.
    tulkas

if it's pictures you're worried about wouldn't you rather see the vest than have to explain why you might look like the Michelin man in the photos??

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Overshirt: Acceptable but needs to have a collar.
    Wrong. Collar is NOT required on XC. Also no rules prohibiting hoodies.

I appreciate those that volunteer their services in the warm-up arenas (and have volunteered many hours myself), but don't appreciate when they don't know the rules and insist that they do.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification guys!

Shirt-over vest may end up looking extra weird, which is why I had pondered some other sort of option like a hoodie. Most of my hoodies are on the loose-fitting side and have a hood that unzips so it can be flattish, but I'm betting it's going to be too warm out here in CA to go that route anyway.

(Plus I'm not that gangster even if Fresno is )

Also, I may have lucked out and tracked down a black vest I can borrow too, hooray!

Why would anyone ever wear something with a hood? If you should fall off, the hood could get hung on a stirrup, on the saddle etc. Getting a visual here? If you insist on wearing a hood, tuck it in to your shirt so that it cannot get hung up on something.

As far as your vest being a "weird color". Who cares? It's there to protect you, not make a fashion statement. It is however, this very reason why all of our safety equipment is BLACK.

Safety equipment is expensive. Black goes with everything. So when you change colors or barns your black safety equipment will always be in style.