The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking For An Arab To Event?

Can't see a whole lot from this picture, and the asking price is pretty steep, but at first glance; I wouldn't kick him out of my barn.

SH Katalyst

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Well, that's a useless photo. Says the arab person.

Oh, I agree. but I like his legs (from the angle) and his motor.

Obviously this breeder doesn't cater to the sporthorse enthusiast, and doesn't know what kind of photos to post to attract attention. I'm just saying thus far he looks good, and may be worth looking into.

Default What is a "beginner novice" rider?

What are the criteria to compete as a beginner novice rider? Just curious.

I must be missing something, because that doesn't look like a Arab to me.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    You really must be missing something!

I'm not a big fan of anything bred for or trained in halter as an athletic horse. All beauty and a serious lack of brains, not to mention all that halter training to undo.
    OI! I wish MORE people would INVEST in halter training for their horses. Nothing irks me more (other than being walked over) is a horse that won't stand up properly for pictures! Now the whole arab arch neck thing maybe not but if I snap my fingers while my horse is on lead they are trained to stop, square and look. It's one of the BEST things I ever teach mine since I don't need a holder for pictures, it's a great thing to teach babies, and it gets you great pics for the sale ads.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

More photos, though of many horses,
    http://www.facebook.com/StormHavenAr.../photos_stream

I like short cannons relative to femur, pretty much in all breeds. Love TBs as well, but they tend to have long cannon bones.

As I understand it, Arabs are not recommended for any jumping discipline--their fine bone structure was not built to withstand the impact, especially the ups/downs/varied footing of eventing.

He does have a nice look about him; I like his spark. But he's not going to be able to go terribly far in eventing. Even if he's got the will and the drive for it, it'd be cruel to put that much stress on bones and joints that just aren't designed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyEatsBrownies View Post
    As I understand it, Arabs are not recommended for any jumping discipline--their fine bone structure was not built to withstand the impact, especially the ups/downs/varied footing of eventing.

He does have a nice look about him; I like his spark. But he's not going to be able to go terribly far in eventing. Even if he's got the will and the drive for it, it'd be cruel to put that much stress on bones and joints that just aren't designed for it.
    Have you ever seen the demands put on Tevis horses? Who are almost all Arabian because few non-Arabians can handle it?

Total fallacy I can't just watch get posted.

Most Arabians have trouble with upper level jump heights, and tend to be in other disciplines - but every Arabian I have known to go cross country has loved it.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Arabs can make good jumpers and eventers. Part-bred Arabs, like Tamarillo, have excelled in eventing.

Having spent a fair amount of time in Egypt, I can tell you that there's not much Arabs can't do. They can ride standing up in the bed of a small pick-up. They can pull heavy loads. They can climb uneven stone staircases. They can gallop for days. They can dance. They can negotiate Cairo traffic. I'm not sure their joints were 'designed' for any of these things.

I have a 1/2 Arab pony who looks a bit like the horse in the OP. His other half is KWPN but this product of two horse parents only grew to 14hh. He can jump a Training level course with ease.

Hunh? Arabs are widely reputed to have denser/stronger bones than most other breeds. If you want a breed with sorry bones for impact resistance, there's this breed called the TB..... And somehow they manage.

Soundness problems are the LAST things I would worry about with an Arab. Fruity temperament, Pepe LePeu movement, bizarre jumping style, yeah. Soundness? Not so much.

Jennifer

I lived in Poland and rode (and lived) at one of the National Studs (one that bred Anglos... but we had plenty of Arabs to go around). We rode Arabs long distances over hilly terrain, we drove Arabs, we jumped Arabs, we galloped Arabs, we raced Arabs. Arabs on a whole are pretty darn tough and sound. While they may not be as scopey, on average, as TBs or WBs, they can be an awesome choice for eventing.

Everyone once in a while, CANTER lists a racing bred Arab, and I have to sit on my hands! And I'm a pretty diehard TB person!

I call bull pucky.

I am actually a closet fan of Arabs, and have enjoyed working with both pure bred and part breds over the years. One of the fanciest little mares I ever rode was a QH/Arab cross...she was built like a tank and was a hell of a mover. Didn't get to jump her much, but she was a lot of fun to work with. There's an awful lot of Arabs and part Arabs that would like to disagree with the notion they can't hold up to jumping. The Tevis Cup horses would probably like to laugh at that, too (seriously...if they can't hold up to run and jump over xc, which these days is pretty manicured, how the HELL would they hold up over the 100 miles of Tevis Cup?!?).

OP, I can't tell ANYTHING from this picture. But if his conformation is good and he's sound in his head (he'll be wicked smart, which is both good and bad!), he might be worth it.

Arabs can't jump? Tell that to this arab.

Her only lameness came from her idiot next owners overfeeding her and her getting laminitis. Her general structure was way stronger than any of the thoroughbreds I've had since. She was 12 in this photo, and she went on jumping until she was about 23.

That said, she never evented because there were definitely demons hiding in ditches.

there is a quarter horse/arabian cross at my barn who used to do the 4' jumpers and qualified for the washington international..... he also goes XC and jumps all the big jumps with ease, goes into water, ditches, etc etc and he is VERY, VERY sound and super athletic. He could go prelim easily! I happen to love arab crosses

OP--the pic doesn't give you much info, so if you are interested, I would definitely ask for more pics and video footage too. That seems like a reasonable request with the price they are asking.

My first horse was a full Arab and I after I owned him I got determined that wanted to try eventing---and lucky me, he was game for it. I was also lucky that he was very level-headed, not spooky, and was okay with ditches, banks, and water. The water took a little work--but he got over it. He was small though--14.2 hands so I always worried about jumping anything too large (i was comfortable with him jumping about novice height--max). That being said, I have certainly seen plenty of 14.2 hand horses that could jump around Training level no problem. He was a nice mover (had some suspension which helped in dressage) and was very obedient so we could get decent dressage scores.

Arabs have a tendency to have a flatter croup which can affect their jumping style and ability. Some don't bascule much, which can make for a comfortable jump for their rider, but it may limit their scope. There are some Arabs that have a decent jump--I was lucky that mine did. So if you are interested in him for eventing, see if you can see him free jump and assess his form. Also, see if his temperament is suitable for the training required for eventing. Good luck!

Just as with any breed, you have to find the *right* Arab to have a good eventer. Here's pics of three I've had the pleasure to ride:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/e...7915725902260/ (hotlink button refuses to work :-(

The gray is an Arab x Andalusian that did a little bit of everything, including eventing. The black mare was a catch ride for a camp, photos are from her first day ever on xc.

The chestnut is my current mount--now running successfully at Training and contemplating a move to prelim in the near future. He's 14 hands on a 'tall' day, and clears 4' with air space.

OP horse wouldn't be my pick for an eventing Arab, but I know where there are a few really nice ones, from just under saddle to going locally to one going Prelim. You're welcome to PM if seriously looking.

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=283

Long back but it could just be the pictures..... might be worth a lookie! Don't long backs mean they are good for jumping? I've seen a lot of grand prix jumpers with a longer back but I don't think that is an asset for eventing b/c of the dressage phase. But I may be wrong...input anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Arabs can't jump? Tell that to this arab.
    And this one

^ that mare is the most sound horse I have ever owned. 10 years and she has never come up lame, or with feet problems ever. And she has been jumping for 5 years.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=283

Long back but it could just be the pictures..... might be worth a lookie! Don't long backs mean they are good for jumping? I've seen a lot of grand prix jumpers with a longer back but I don't think that is an asset for eventing b/c of the dressage phase. But I may be wrong...input anyone?
    There's a thread about this mare in the endurance forum. She's been sold, and is going to Maine to be an endurance horse.