The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Peter Leone Clinic

Has anyone done a clinic with him before and could tell me what to expect? Anything in particular he likes/dislikes? Or how his teaching style is? The clinic is in about three weeks and I would like to be as well prepared as possible!

He was my friend's trainer and I watched a few of her lessons. It was a while ago, but my friend was a pretty timid rider doing some pretty big jumps and he knew when to push her and when to back off and be patient. Not sure what his clinics are like, but my friend really enjoyed him as an instructor.

I watched all of Peter's clinics at the Equine Affaire this year and I am a HUGE fan because of it. His teaching style is really relaxed yet firm. He knows what to ask of the riders and helps them through any problems they have in a really encouraging way. He loves jumping bigger fences, but will not over face the riders and is willing to adjust fence height a few times. He's a funny guy, and really emphasizes riding the whole horse from back to front.

As long as you try, he will be very kind and cater to you and your horse. I'm jealous that you get to ride with him! Please come back with a full report!

Good luck

One of my students did a clinic at Equine Affaire this spring wth him and LOVED it. I also loved watching. He is a very kind man and has a great easy to get teaching style. He puts a lot of focus on the horse as a whole.

I saw his clinics at EA this spring also and really liked his teaching style. Agree with the others that he seems very good at modifying things for the individual horse and rider, good sense of humour, good at explaining things. He's doing a clinic here in December and I really wish I could afford to do it.

I've never cliniced (sp) with him but saw his EA clinic in Mass a few years ago. He was incredibly insightful and very kind, and most importantly, i thought, was able to impart information in a way that was immediately understood by the rider. He also seemed like a genuinely nice guy with a great sense of humor and a wealth of patience.

Have you read his book? I highly recommend it. My copy has a bazillion dog-eared pages and post-it tabs. I'd recommend grabbing a copy if you can-- that will give you an idea of some excercises you might expect to see.

Lucky you! Please report back and let us know how it goes!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Thank you for the advice everyone! Glad to hear that everyone seems to like him! I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of the book too. Is there anything in particular I should absolutely have (spurs/crop even if I don't normally use them)? Or avoid? I know some clinician, like GM, can be very specific about stirrups, bits, etc.
    But yes I will absolutely report back!