As an adult ammy (and I mean ADULT, even though I still feel 20 and ammy as in finally taking lessons with a coach that is ACTUALLY qualified!) I look at my bucket list - and I'm wanting to actually cross things off. So my bucket list is on the realistic side, sooo Olympics is out. But I'm curious as to others bucket list horse based.
I will start.
1. Jumping 4'0 or more
2. Showing at Spruce Meadows, not looking at the International Ring, but maybe one of the other rings during the Masters
3. Showing at Thermal.
Yall have good ideas already, which I'm going to borrow!
These are in no particular order....
1) clinic with a BNT
3) jump over 4 feet and not look like a flying monkey
4) own a horse
5) take side saddle lessons
6) train /learn more about eventing (hunter girl here) especially get myself over more cross country obstacles! Love xc but don't have much exposure to it currently.
I'd love to do a hunter derby or break from a starting gate but doing a grand prix at some point in my life is my biggest desire on horseback.
Things that were on my bucket list that I've accomplished:
-Do the jumpers
-Get champ in the jumpers
-Own a horse
-Show in the 3'6''
-Do an event
-Do a hunter pace
-Win a cooler
(I had pretty realistic goals...except for the GP one )
-Ride in Ireland
-Breeze a TB around a track
-Do a hunter derby (any height)
-Show in jumpers (3' or higher)
-Hunter pace/fox hunt
-Ride a reining horse
-Ride a really well-trained dressage horse that can do all of the fancy stuff
-Buy a 14.3ish overgrown pony that can jump the moon and have a blast on it!
-Get a cutie from CANTER or an auction
I've pretty much done everything on my bucket list.
Shown 3'6" hunters
Evented thru training level
Rode great trails all over the US
Spent many years turning left on many different racetracks
Now if I was just fit enough to do any of that again, I would be happy!
The Olympics used to be the only thing on my bucket list, but I was 15, so I know better now.
As a re-rider, I have a pretty hefty (*cough* crazy) list of goals that I could call a bucket list, but in reality, I actually want to make these things regular occurrences. (Says the girl who looks like a graceless flying squirrel over cross rails at the moment) Whatever. I'm determined and more than willing to bust my butt.
Before the end of 2012:
1. Get comfortable jumping small courses with my mare (below 1.0m)
1. Begin competing in the 1.0m jumpers locally
2. Compete at the fall A shows in my area
2 years from now:
1. Begin competing in the nominated jumpers section
2. Do HITS AZ Winter circuit
3 or 4 years from now:
1. Do WEF
2. Retire my current mare and breed her
3. Buy another horse or begin competing one of our youngsters
After 4 hours blew by with me looking at canter horses all night, I think it would be awesome to own an OTTB. Helped retrain one but would love to own one and let it have a safe, happy second career and retirement.
1) Competently get around a 4' course. Whether it's jumpers or derbies - I haven't decided; ideally, I'd be able to transition and do either.
2) Ride with George Morris. (And I feel like I need to get on this ASAP. I've decided next time he's in DFW, I'm going come hell or high water.)
But then I also have the non-hunter princess goals:
3) Win a world championship in a tough ammy ring at the APHA World Show.
4) Own a legit western event horse (I'm on course to buy my HUS horse this year). I'll always stay over fences, but at the breed shows the events like trail and western riding are just SO cool that I'd love to be able to have a horse that can specialize in those events. Plus, I feel like learning all of the all around events that I can makes me a better, more rounded rider.
my riding life started late (late 30's), and for various reasons has been start/stop, so my bucket list has to be realistic :-)
I would really like to continue lessons thru the WHOLE winter
I would really like to get to jump 2'6 with confidence, which coincides with: I would really like to show the Am Adult Hunter. I've wanted to do this division at my local show series for about 4 yrs now, but not riding thru the winters keeps me out of this ring :-(
I have a 2013 foal expected, and I want to do *it all*-- the inspection(s), show in hand, start it and train it. <<<--- that's my BIG goal, LOL
Take a TB from track to show ring
Experiment with other disciplines, particularly eventing.
Ride a gaited horse
Have horses at home
Related to ^^ take in an old-timer rescue horse as a pasture puff
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden
1. Show at WEF
2. Be invited to show hunters at Devon
3. OWN my own horse that I can play in all three rings with as an AA
4. Be competitive for medals in NorCal
5. See my children up on ponies. (They don't have to stick with it, but they WILL have opportunities for their own ponies if it kills me.)
6. Get boyfriend to learn to jump 2'. (He's willing to get on a horse and learn to ride english- step one.)
7. See an Olympic equestrian event in person.
"You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"
1. Growing up in Chicago, I never had the opportunity to ride on the beach. Now that I live on the East coast, 20 mins from the ocean, this is a realistic bucket list item! Twice a year my town allows you to ride on the beach. Hoping to scratch this off the list in 2013 in the spring.
2. Clinic with GM.
3. Compete in a USHJA Hunter Derby
4. Convince my hubby that riding is something he'd enjoy, and get him a horse so we can ride together.
5. Purchase land and build my own house with a small, beautiful barn on the property.
6. Compete at WEF.
7. Show in the jumper division
I'd like to be able to re-do the things I did as a child (thanks Mom & Dad!).
I'll call this my "re-bucket list".
2. Go eventing
3. "Serial" horse showing on the "AA" circuit, you know...spending more weekends in my show clothes than out of them.
4. Get another year end Grand Champ & cooler.
5. Have another horse that I can do it all with. My large pony as a kid did all of the above. She was marvelous!