The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Hawk Trailer People:Are your vinyl stripes peeling?

I bought an 05 Hawk trailer last November and the red stripes on the front of the trailer were peeling. I figured it was because it was 6 years old and would just need to redo the front of the trailer. Well, other parts of the trailer are starting to peel off and I am very un happy about it because it just doesn't look good. I realize these are vinyl stripes that are put on with heat and so you can't just take them off. This looks like it would be very expensive to redo. I have talked to people I know with hawk trailers and they have never had an issue with them peeling off. Is this a defective vinyl job? I plan on contacting Hawk on monday to see what they can do for me.

Default Mine is

Mine is a 2009 and is paint but yes, the paint is chipping. Love the trailer otherwise.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

mine is an 02 and no problems with peeling or chipping. perhaps the newer models use a different (cheaper) product.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    mine is an 02 and no problems with peeling or chipping. perhaps the newer models use a different (cheaper) product.

I don't know. But the front is missing half of the stripes. Maybe they will give me a discount for redoing it at a dealership.

Not mine, but I use a '99 and its stripes are fine.

The stripes on my 2007 model are fine.

However, my DH spends alot of time keeping my trailer washed and polished. He polishes the whole trailer twice a year. He puts a trailer cover on it, so that the sun does not bleach out the black stripes and black top.

He is the same way about our cars and my truck. He believes that the trade in value will be better, if you take good care of them. My DH is a smart man!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    The stripes on my 2007 model are fine.

However, my DH spends alot of time keeping my trailer washed and polished. He polishes the whole trailer twice a year. He puts a trailer cover on it, so that the sun does not bleach out the black stripes and black top.

He is the same way about our cars and my truck. He believes that the trade in value will be better, if you take good care of them. My DH is a smart man!
    It has been out in the winter/summer without a cover but I do clean it regularly. I guess I will take it up with hawk and see what they can do for me. Thank you for telling me about your trailer's condition.

2001 and mine is ok?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Just be thankful it is not a Sundowner.......

with those....the FLOOR is falling out from under it!!!

Mine is a 2004. Yes ther edges on the striping are a bit ratty.

But it HAS been stored outside.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My 2007 is perfect, no paint problems, stored outside in PNW's incessant rain...contact Hawk, see what they say!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have a new hawk 2013- no issues (obviously) but.. I did ask them if they used vinyl for stripes.. they said no- NOT on the STRIPES-- only on the new swoosh, they paint the stripe on and were willing to sell me the touch up kit. you have a VIN number on the trailer- (typically inside tack or walk thru door) they should have the paint code on file and you should be able to have a body shop near you do the work... Hawk gets the white or pewter panels to the factory already painted- they do not paint the body exterior "in house" -- only the stripes and "colored areas"
    fwiw... I think a sign shop could do vinyl decals for FAR less than a body shop painting them... I would peel them all off and have vinyl put on... I did a couple work trucks for $600 with stripes, wording and company logos...on all 4 sides of vehicles.. thought it was reasonable..

I will contact hawk tomorrow and update all of you on what they say.

I'm not sure I'd expect much from Hawk. You are asking them to warranty decorative stripes on a 7 year old trailer that you purchased used. At this point, they owe you nothing!

You don't use heat to apply vinyl and vinyl has a life span. The sun does the most damage. And salt.

Your age of trailer sounds appropriate for the vinyl to start dying and lifting. The only vinyl that lasts forever is 3m.

I'd remove the stripes with a heat gun, some goo gone and elbow grease. Wash immediately after, and have a lettering shop replace the
    If you desire.

I owned a lettering company for 7 years.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I think the longest warranty on vinyl for signs is 7 years-if I'm remembering correctly. I've found that's about how long it lasts on boats.