The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You Did GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it!!! Looking at horse property in Orange County, CA--and we have the same problem---small, very expensive and nothing over 1 acre. Seeing your set-up gives me hope. Can I ask how big is your arena?

Oh, and forgive me for asking a general question: Why do people who "hate horses" insist on living in areas that zone for horses?
    Last edited by JustJet; Oct. 4, 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by JustJet View Post

Oh, and forgive me for asking a general question: Why do people who "hate horses" insist on living in areas that zone for horses?
    I can't imagine OP's neighbors ever dreamed that anyone near them would ever have a horse, with those tiny little lots. I, of course, would be DELIGHTED to have a horse living next door to my 11,000 sf yard, but would never consider that anyone would actually try to do so.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Nice job.

If you get a lot of snow and driving rain, you may want to add an 8 or 10' overhang to the front of the barn. Otherwise, rain and snow will blow in. Stall doors will be hard to open if you have 3' of snow in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    Nice job.

If you get a lot of snow and driving rain, you may want to add an 8 or 10' overhang to the front of the barn. Otherwise, rain and snow will blow in. Stall doors will be hard to open if you have 3' of snow in front of them.
    We literally have the max amount of roof space we are allowed. Where I am they count overhangs as part of the structure....they actually measure roofline...to roofline.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJet View Post
    Love it!!! Looking at horse property in Orange County, CA--and we have the same problem---small, very expensive and nothing over 1 acre. Seeing your set-up gives me hope. Can I ask how big is your arena?

70x80....it was supposed to be 80x90 originally, but then we found out we had to have all horse fencing five feet from the property line and we also had to slope some of the property for run off when we built up the land. All things we didn't realize at first

PS

The kids are home!!!!

My boy Houdini
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2639.jpg

and his new girlfriend Kiss

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2636.jpg

Is he named Houdini because he's an escape artist????

haha no....he is Houdini because I was 17 when I got him and I thought barn name Houdini...show name Lord of Illusion was very cool. Now I mostly call him Houdini the Weenie or just Weenie. He is pretty happy staying where he is as long as there is food. No escaping!

They look very happy there.

Awww, so happy to be in their new home!

The more often I look at your photos, the more I am amazed. I think your architect/planner deserves some sort of award. Can you submit the design to some horse magazines?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Thanks for sharing such a detailed tour of your lovely set-up! It looks very well planned out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini1220 View Post
    We literally have the max amount of roof space we are allowed. Where I am they count overhangs as part of the structure....they actually measure roofline...to roofline.
    Awnings! If they are retractable or moveable, they are not considered part of the structure. I'm not saying you need them, but for those who are facing similar constraints, all kinds of awnings exist. I am thinking of the wooden ones that look like shutters.

Like the photo of the white house with the dark wooden awning, I think it is the eighth photo down:
    http://www.houzz.com/Wood-awning

Obviously for a barn or entrance for a horse you would want something larger, wider and hung higher, maybe over a set of windows above the door.
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add link

Wow, Houdini I love your little farmette. You did such a good job of getting so much into such a small space. Love it.

And yes, I loved all the picture. Especially, the before and after photos.

Barn is gorgeous and your horses look very happy. Congratulations!

I grew up in Bellmore, so am very familiar with LI and the lot size restrictions. I rode at a small farmette up in Cold Spring Harbor (ooooh, hot flashes now that I think back to the houses! ), as well as at Thomas' in Melville and as a private share-boarder in Islip (SOOOO miss riding at Connetquot!)

You have a lovely lay out. May it bring you and the ponies many years of joy
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanks everyone.

So now that the kids have been home for a couple of days I am already seeing things that I would have done differently lol.....firstly, I wish I had left some space at the botttom end of the turnouts so that I could just walk down to the pony's turnout without having to go through the horse's one or go allll the way around through the ring. Also I would have put the entrance to the attached turnouts closer to the barn, not at the bottom end of the attached turnouts. Those few extra steps really add up when you have to go in and out a few times in a row! Perhaps in the future I may need to do a little rearranging.
    I'm considering possibly taking out the bottom rail on the fence closest to the barn, so I can just duck under it if I don't have anything big to carry. May save a lot of gate opening and closing.
    The ring is a bit small for my horse. But I am the queen of the 20 meter circle anyway, so I don't really mind. I rode the pony in it today, and it was a nice little size for her. Considering they are both semi-retired, I think it will work. If I was doing any kind of competeing or anything though, it would be too small.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Before you take a board out:
    Can you squeeze through now?

I ask because I have 3-strand coated tensile wire fencing with a Centaur-clone top rail and I rarely bother to unlatch a gate.
    Purely Lazy = Me

Instead, I routinely go through the 1st & 2nd wires to get in/out of the paddocks & pastures.

If you can get through your boards w/o removing one, I'd choose that option rather than give a pony an opportunity to Limbo out of the paddock.

As it is, because I have not added a charger to my fencing, both horse & pony have patches of mane missing (pony looks like he wore an ill-fitting harness collar ) where they go through to get that "greener" grass.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Hey, Houdini....since you linked back to your originial thread here from last year (in another small acreage thread), I really enjoyed looking at your photo journey (!) again. And I thought it would be great to get an update? on how your horsekeeping in your set up is going? (Also: one of my remaining items: hay storage.....With your adorable little spot, I'm sure its a challenge for you as well!...can you share ideas/solutions?)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    Hey, Houdini....since you linked back to your originial thread here from last year (in another small acreage thread), I really enjoyed looking at your photo journey (!) again. And I thought it would be great to get an update? on how your horsekeeping in your set up is going? (Also: one of my remaining items: hay storage.....With your adorable little spot, I'm sure its a challenge for you as well!...can you share ideas/solutions?)
    If I had it to do all over again.......the biggest change I would have made would be to knock down the shed and move the barn at least 20-30 feet forward. I really regret not giving myself more space in the back for the ring. It is really too small for my big guy. My pony does fine it it, but the big guy really needs more room. By law we had to be five feet off the property line with our fence. In some areas of the ring we ended up almost 10 feet off the property line. If I did it all over again I would have pushed the fence out as close to five feet from the line as possible and moved the barn up. It is amazing what a difference a few feet can make when you are in such a small space. We could have always thrown up another small shed somewhere....now it is too late since the barn is cemented into the ground
    We are going to try and push out the attached turnout fencing a bit this spring and switch the pony and the horse around. I want to give him access to the ring all day. I think he really needs the space. He gets cranky when he feels closed in and I noticed he is coming out the this winter super cranky.
    We had some trees taken down just last week so we can finally finish the fencing around the garage turnaround. Once that is done our whole property will be fenced except for the front yard. Once the spring sillies are out of them I want to be able to ride them around the garage turnaround.
    We are lucky that our feed place delivers to our area twice a week. At this point I get a delivery about every three weeks. I pay way more than if I could buy in bulk......it isn't cheap. The way I am doing things....it isn't cheap. But since I work full time convienence wins out over cost right now.
    Also, I think if I could re-do it, I would have gone with a barn with double sided doors. It is a royal PIA to have to walk in and out of the turnouts EVERY time we need to get to the stalls. Especially when it is windy and the kids are feeling good. It would be nice to have FULL access to the stalls from the non-turnout part of the structure.
    The barn itself though is amazing. When the two of them are in there it stays really nice and cozy. I am very impressed with the quality of the structure overall.

My big guy is 22 at this point. In my heart I know that moving forward I will need to stick with med to large ponies with the size of my facility. Quiet med to small ponies Which honestly is fine with me. If I owned a trailer or was one of those people who liked to trailer my horses out....it would be different. But I'm not. For the future I really just want some fat, lazy, hairy ponies that I can groom and love on and that my future kids can play around with. What I have will be perfect for that.

When my husband and I decide to try and start a family, I will have to make a decision about whether or not to retire my big horse somewhere with some space. Most likely I will, unless he suddenly starts to act insanely content here. We shall see.

2 members found this post helpful.