The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Story of my teeny tiny farm

Starting this past May I have been clearing land and putting up a small two stall barn for my horse and a pony. For what started out seeming like a small project, it was beginning to feel like we were never going to finish. Last week we finally had the last major pieces completed and now it seems my boy will be home by next week!

I thought I would share some pictures of the process. Please keep in mind that I live in a very highly populated area near a major city. Land is expensive and hard to come by so it is not uncommon to see two horses on 1/2 an acre here. I have an acre which is nice, but the layout of the property is very funky. We have more than one accessory building on the property, so we were really limited to a small space in the far back. It wasn't ideal....but I was determined to make it work!

I think we did a good job with what we have.

Land clearing

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2244.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2250.jpg

clearing for the ring

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2432.jpg

base of the ring

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2444.jpg

completed ring

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2450.jpg

we had to build up part of the property when we put the ring in so we decided to do a retaining wall around two sides of the ring

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2476.jpg

we also did a small retaining wall where we had build up part of the barn base

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2559.jpg

the completed barn stained

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2538.jpg

side view of the barn with fencing (still needed the gates)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2584.jpg

we also put in a grooming pad...the side opening is a safety opening....we have one at the barn I am at now and I thought it was a good idea

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2589.jpg

ring with fencing and gate

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2588.jpg

stall mats in

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSCF2599.jpg

I realized I still need to get one really good overall picture of the whole project

Again I know it is small and most people would probably not be happy with so little, but I feel blessed just to be able to have my horse home with me. My guy is semi retired at this point anyway, so it is perfect for us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Beautiful setting!
    Is that a Horizon barn or did you build yourself?
    In any case, it looks lovely.

I too have one horse, one pony on 5ac and could easily get by with 3.
    Less mowing is a Good Thing.

And I envy your outdoor - mine is the lawns to the West & South of my acreage, so limited to times when the ground is dry & hard enough to support me & the Big Guy.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Beautiful setting!
    Is that a Horizon barn or did you build yourself?
    In any case, it looks lovely.

I too have one horse, one pony on 5ac and could easily get by with 3.
    Less mowing is a Good Thing.

And I envy your outdoor - mine is the lawns to the West & South of my acreage, so limited to times when the ground is dry & hard enough to support me & the Big Guy.
    We ordered the barn from a local shed company, but they get them from somewhere in PA. I think we probably could have cut out the middle man, but the way our property was shaped we couldn't have a pre-fab brought in completed. When we saw that our local place said they would build on site...we ended up going with them. If we had it all to do over we probably could have saved money a dozen ways....but it was our first time doing something like this.

The ring is tiny, but the footing is amazing. We have had some really major rain storms and the thing is bone dry two hours after the rain stops. Considering that it will prob be used more for turnout than riding, it is great for the horses. I'm sure I can put them out to play around in almost all weather.

It looks great, and like you really put thought into what would work best for you - to me that's key, regardless of property size!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Hindsight is always 20/20

I built myself an indoor that is mostly used as the World's Largest Covered Walkway to the manure pile.
    Turns out I prefer to ride outdoors.

If I win a lottery I have my eye on a piece of my property that would make a dandy outdoor.
    What did you use for footing?
    I have an excavator who is the Michaelangelo of leveling a base - it took him longer to prep the site for my barn & arena than it did for the builders to put them up!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    It looks great, and like you really put thought into what would work best for you - to me that's key, regardless of property size!
    Thanks!

What a gorgeous little place! Love it, looks so neat and useful!

How will you manage the manure? Dumpster? Compost?

Do you have a layout plan? I'd love to see it. I had a few different plans when we were building our place but they all went south as we started tearing trees down, LOL! Best laid plans and all that.... But a workable set up is worth it.

I have 4.5 acres but am only using small portion of that. Takes forever to clear land and have it drain right to avoid mud.

VERY smart to budget and put in the riding ring immediately. We were going to do the same....extra drainage and other pop-up issues made us hold off "for a bit" and it then took us 8 years to get ours in!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20

I built myself an indoor that is mostly used as the World's Largest Covered Walkway to the manure pile.
    Turns out I prefer to ride outdoors.

If I win a lottery I have my eye on a piece of my property that would make a dandy outdoor.
    What did you use for footing?
    I have an excavator who is the Michaelangelo of leveling a base - it took him longer to prep the site for my barn & arena than it did for the builders to put them up!
    We are really lucky because our natural base is a sand/loam mix....really, really clean. We weren't sure what we were going to find when we took down the trees. The hardest part was the pitch we had....we had to dig down/build up to even everything out. He flattened the heck out of what was there and then put down a screening mix and flattened the heck out of that....I have to double check what the makeup was. He had done rings before so he knew what to do. Then he did about two inches of clean sand on top of that. Our largest concern was the possibility of a blowout on the built-up part, so that was when we decided to do the retaining wall. He said after I ride on it he can come back and adjust any issues I find.

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    What a gorgeous little place! Love it, looks so neat and useful!

How will you manage the manure? Dumpster? Compost?

Do you have a layout plan? I'd love to see it. I had a few different plans when we were building our place but they all went south as we started tearing trees down, LOL! Best laid plans and all that.... But a workable set up is worth it.

I have 4.5 acres but am only using small portion of that. Takes forever to clear land and have it drain right to avoid mud.

VERY smart to budget and put in the riding ring immediately. We were going to do the same....extra drainage and other pop-up issues made us hold off "for a bit" and it then took us 8 years to get ours in!
    We have a 4 yard dumpster. Because we are residential we have to keep the manure in a covered container.

We didn't have much wiggle room with our plan because of necessity to get a variance to put the barn up. The barn couldn't be any wider than 18 feet and it had to be exactly in the middle of the property. So shed row it was! The property is something like 85 feet wide by 500 and something long. A really, really long narrow lot. It is so strange, but our whole block is like that. We have dirt turnaround that is necessary for cars/trucks so we had to make sure the barn was behind the turnaround. So that limited us even more.

Our house is a two family house and it was the nicest two family we could find in our budget that wasn't more than an hour from my job, so we really bought the property for the people not the animals. We had to get creative where the animals are concerned.

Wow, I love it. Thank you for the pictures. It is not only interesting but inspiring and instructional for those of us who have yet to build our own barns.

Your setting is beautiful as well, with all the trees. What part of the country is this?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Wow, I love it. Thank you for the pictures. It is not only interesting but inspiring and instructional for those of us who have yet to build our own barns.

Your setting is beautiful as well, with all the trees. What part of the country is this?
    We live on Long Island. I love all the trees. Unfortunately we don't own the surrounding property, so those trees are not ours and our neighbors could tear them down anytime they want to. I hope they leave them up though...I love the solitude which is very, very hard to find in my area.

Just gorgeous. I love farmette stories and pictures! Please do take some showing the layout/overall design and keep adding to the thread with your fun updates!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

That is incredibly impressive that you put all that onto such a small space. It would be great to get an overhead shot. If you wait a month or so, you might be able to use Google's satellite view. I'm not sure how often google updates that particular function.

Really sweet little set-up!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'll try to sketch something out on a piece of paper and take a pic of it today.

That you are on sandy loam is absolutely wonderful for horse keeping, good investment there.

Google just updated their satellite maps and they are now only a year old, not several, as they were until the past few months.

Still, any new changes you made since won't show up until the next update.
    We made some changes, tore down the old cattle pens and built new ones this summer and they don't show up yet.

Sounds like you did wonderful there, neat as a pin and well thought out makes it a showplace.

LOVE it! Going to show our ring guy your retaining wall, we're in need of that for our ring. Best thing about when people share their new farm stories is that it reminds you how happy you were when you got yours - so easy to get caught up in all the "stuff that needs doing" that you forget that initial excitement. Good luck!